Defender for next season?

SeloBarca

Some people seem to not understand the art of defending and think that pace is somehow equivalent to skill. Sure Puyol has lost pace, but what he lacks in pace he more than makes up for in pure defending. The ability to time a play and stick out a leg at precisely the right time, to not stick out a leg and risk getting faked out.

The art of taking on a world class forward 1 v 1 and making them wish they had stayed at home.

People need to understand that Puyol is an irreplaceable player. Had Puyol (most definitely a slower specimen to years past) not been available for all those clasicos, they would have been much much closer affairs with CR scoring a boatload of goals, had it not been for the wisdom and sheer defensive power of Puyol.

He is still world class, and has many years left in the tank, believe, we just have to accommodate him in our back line (mainly by Pique not acting like a lazy bastard anymore, he's off to a great start mind you) and play to his strengths, because the minute Puyol gets exposed (which can only be for speed to be sure), we'll have Cules saying he is no longer first team material.

It's a high profile position, and when he looks bad he looks bad. Let's not pretend that he is past it though, because when he looks good, he looks GOOD.

yes, beeing able to read the game is just as important, which puyol is a master at. his experiance and pushing on the team is also not replacable

pawanme10

I dont understand why most of you want Alba or Bale when Alves does the attacking work of two fullbacks. We need someone like Abidal who can clean up our mess, tall, strong and good in the air. For LB I prefer Aleksandar Kolarov, he is just 26 is a fringe player in MCFC these days with Clichy around. Kolarov is 1.87m, good in the air and he can also take set pieces. His price tag is just as much as Alba 15M, value for money if you ask me.

For CB, Mats Hummels is who I prefer because of his age, but I dont know if he will be able to fit in Barca.

:barca scarf:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Schmelzer is a nice option too. Problem is; we need a first choice LB and I don't see anyone filling Abidal's shoes.
Already made my peace that we'll lose quality in that position.

khaled_a_d

I totally agree with the last 2 posts ,even though I am not sure how much would there team would be willing to sell them
Also one of the new names for CB is Inigo Martinez from Real Sociedad ,Don't know a lot about him ,but he will complete 21 in hours ,1.81 m

Piqué

Vertonghen to Tottenham is not a done deal yet. He's currently vacationing in Barcelona.

Him or Javi Martinez would be a great fit.
Vertonghen is a great player, but I don't think he can reach the true Barça level. Tottenham would be a great fit for him.

Barça should just try to buy Kompany, the best defender in the world right now. He has technique, strenght, vision, quickness, etc. Just everything a defender needs. And on and off the field, he just has a great personality as well.

Only will it be quite impossible because he's the captain of the richest team in the world, his wife is from Manchester etc.

catalan force

schmelzer is a really nice option.. they say he got three lungs or something.. never gets tired..pretty decent with the ball too.. though won't be able to provide the physical strength we most require.

Zak_

Alba on left and Javi Martinez in the centre, Macherono could be moved to midfield again..............

khaled_a_d

Alba on left and Javi Martinez in the centre, Macherono could be moved to midfield again..............
Javi Martinez is just like Mascherano ,a true DM who is used as CB due to team needs ,but the fact is that he isn't a true world class CB,I actually think Mascherano is a much better CB than Javi

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe just bring back Botia since Thiago and Javi are too expensive. And one isn't exactly a spring chicken and the other not a true defender.
Pique,Puyol,Mascherano,Botia. Seems ok. Sergi can step in if needed and we can use Bartra in Copa matches.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Maybe just bring back Botia since Thiago and Javi are too expensive. And one isn't exactly a spring chicken and the other not a true defender.
Pique,Puyol,Mascherano,Botia. Seems ok. Sergi can step in if needed and we can use Bartra in Copa matches.
Sensible solution.

Save money - Get rid of our debt - Make the Nou Camp look even more awesome than it already is.

i_bleed_blaugrana

People, let the Thiago Silva delusions go. There is no way in hell that Milan are going to let the linchpin and possible future captain go, ESPECIALLY since Nesta has left. He is the best player Milan have and they would be crazy to let him go. I have seen people placing him at around 35-40 million, there is no way Milan would value him that low. 60 million at least.

Ruling him out, what do you guys feel about Yaya wanting to come back to Barca? He could easily be converted into a CB even though he is a better holding midfielder than Busi, he is fantastic in the air, has great technique, reads the game well and can burst forward at the right times. If not, I would want either Vertoghen or David Luiz, both players we could get for the 20-25 million range and both have the potential to replace Puyol in 2-3 years time

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA

Even if they bring in Thiago Silva or Javi Martinez, I still see Mascherano being rotated with Puyol at the very least.

Javi Martinez absolutely shined in that CB role under Bielsa this year and would be a stud in a Barcelona shirt. He's still young and we haven't seen the best football we have seen from him yet. Would be a great fit.

B

barcelonista

So according to all the rumours, this is our team next season?

Neymar----------Drogba----------Messi
---------------------------------------
--------Iniesta------------------------
--------------------------Cesc--------
-----------------Yaya-----------------
---------------------------------------
Bale-----Martinez-----Pique----Montoya*

* Alves leaving.

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

Home of Barca Fans