Defender for next season?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, I'm not sipping the Agger kool-aid on this one. We need a player who can be a long term replacement for Puyol in about 2 years time. The first thing I question is whether or not he has the technical skills required to mesh well with our style of play.

Puyol isn't that technical either. Besides, I see Masch as Puyol's replacement/alternation and we are set there for 4-5 years at least.

I would rather give(offer) 65m for Kompany then 15m for Agger.Kompany is the best in the world and SO young!I wish we open our wallets seriosely for once and solve 'the defender problem' once and for all

BigBarcaBoy

Puyol isn't that technical either. Besides, I see Masch as Puyol's replacement/alternation and we are set there for 4-5 years at least.
He does have the technical skills and would provide a better balance to the team, but as I've said before Agger WILL not leave Liverpool. As for Kompany there is no chance of him moving, his wages could run a few countries in Africa.

I know he is expensive but Iits better to by quality stuff and forget the problem then buy cheep,keep the cash and WORRY every game...

Kixer

But we have only 25mil left. The financial situation of the club isn't good and we can't spend large amounts every season. Bartra seems to be enough good (just needs time).

Tembbi

Vini won't leave, that's for sure. He's quite close to home, enjoys the title of the best defender of the league and just won the title.
Agger won't leave Pool either. I don't really even know any good CB's that would fit in Barca game. David Luiz has been amazing in
Portugal but I don't know, I've never really liked him either. Hummels and Chiellini are really good but can't really handle the ball the way they should.

Superfly

Banned
David Luiz, Lovren, Hummels, Subotic, Tasci among centre backs with positive scouting reports. Short list of three has been drawn up. [md]

I'd take Lovren, Hummels, and Subotic off that list.

well,everybody will jump on us this year...so we need reliable,tough defence.Bartra is not bad,but next to Ivanovic he looks weak...just my oppinion...
ps why do we think we can make our own players for every position and role?Ok,we have la masia,it's great and so,but there was,there is and there will be as good and even better players born and made outside!This looks to me like autism of the english who didn't want to compete on world and european cup in until the 50s cause 'its their sport,they invented it and they know the best'.And then they entered the competition and were crushed like a beatle under foot!

Tembbi

I agree we need a strong defender. Someone who can stop the counter attacks and is fast enough. Someone like Puyol 2 years ago.
But also, the defender must have technical abilities to hold the ball as the lowest player and pass it forward to Xavi without any problems.

Maria

ps why do we think we can make our own players for every position and role?Ok,we have la masia,it's great and so,but there was,there is and there will be as good and even better players born and made outside!

What big club has better options at CB than us with Pique, Puyol, Mascherano and Bartra(except maybe Chelsea)? RM has Pepe, Ramos, Albiol and Varane who are of similar quality and that didn't stoped them from winning the league with 100 pts. Yes, we were very unlucky with the injuries last year, but paying 65 M euros for a CB so you could have Mascherano and Puyol on the bench is not the answer. If we think at the worst possible scenario for us, then there's nothing as bad as an injury for Messi. So what should we do? Buy Cristiano? Not to mention that Busi doesn't have a good back-up either.

Anyway no need to worry..seeing that all the good players are leaving La Liga right now, we can rest Puyol and Pique for CL and the games against RM and play Bartra&Mascherano in the league..we would probably still win 90% of the games.

What big club has better options at CB than us with Pique, Puyol, Mascherano and Bartra(except maybe Chelsea)? RM has Pepe, Ramos, Albiol and Varane who are of similar quality and that didn't stoped them from winning the league with 100 pts. Yes, we were very unlucky with the injuries last year, but paying 65 M euros for a CB so you could have Mascherano and Puyol on the bench is not the answer. If we think at the worst possible scenario for us, then there's nothing as bad as an injury for Messi. So what should we do? Buy Cristiano? Not to mention that Busi doesn't have a good back-up either.

Anyway no need to worry..seeing that all the good players are leaving La Liga right now, we can rest Puyol and Pique for CL and the games against RM and play Bartra&Mascherano in the league..we would probably still win 90% of the games.

You forget that HALF of Reals team plays defence-CBs,SBs(they only sometimes join the attack) and DMs(Alonso and Kedira most of the game play as JCBs-Joined CBs)so they don't need that good CBs when half of the team defend like wolves!Our SBs and DM spend most of the time forward...
Bartra to stop Falcao/Soldado/Nistelrooy etc?I admire your trust in him.
Teams with better CBs?Chelsea,City,PSG,...Pique is not the player of highest quality.Mascherano is just good replacement for real CB.Only Puyol is read deal but he is not who he use to be earlyer.United payed Ferdinand highest amount in the world in that moment and had a great real defender for 10 years.Milan had Nesta etc.
We are the best club in the world,so we must buy the best GK,CB and DM in the world,forget all the worrys and make room for trophys

Tembbi

Bollocks! Masche is still one of the best DM's there is. Valdes has become definite top 10 in all world. Pique + Puyol are awesome CB's,
Masche is quite good as well. The concern is Puyol's age and physical condition. His playing style is so hard that he won't be able to
pull it off for more than one season. Unfortunately, he will most likely get injured again. Did you see last season how much Puyol has
lost of his pace? Most strikers that get to his side, will also get past him by simply running.

We're set for DM's with Busi and Masche. Masche can then replace either Busi or a CB. But I think we definitely need a CB who is almost
impossible to beat 1 on 1. Like Puyol still was season 10-11. I don't see Masche becoming a regular start for CB. The lowest guy's only
weapon cannot be a sliding tackle. He was so lucky not to get booked more last season. His playing style suits a DM much better.

Home of Barca Fans