Defender for next season?

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
If Puyol is fit and ready at the beginning of the season it could be the tipping point at the start as he has a big influence on his teammate and he is able to steer Piqué in the right direction. Guys often forget Piqué is only 25 years old, an age when defenders are still learning their trade, and if this is Piqué still learning how to do his job we can only be excited how good he will be in a few years time.

It could be said the Piqué was the player that suffered the most with injuries to fellow defenders. There was a stretch at the beginning of the season where it appeared Piqué had a different defensive partner every game and that definitely didn't help his confidence. And with questions raised about his off-field actions as well as alleged argument between Pep Guardiola and him it only exacerbated his problems on the pitch.

He also scored the fewest goals in a full season in his career.You know what that means cause some of the cules judge players via goals and stats it doesn't matter if the player is a defender.

There is also a thought among the cules that Shakira distracted him, I don't know if they were just trolling but this is what I took from some of their posts.

Tembbi

Are you sure?They scored more goals?i need to check that...

Last season Ronaldo had like 30 attempts, 0 goals.
2010-11, ~50 attempts 4 goals
09-10 ~50 attempts 3-4 goals
08-09 ~50 attempts 3-4 goals

The reasons he's a feared free kick taker is that once the free kick hits within the posts, the ball is impossible to
glue for the goalie. He either will get his hands to it and the ball will just bounce some direction or then he won't
save it. Messi and Xavi both take 10 times more accurate free kicks. Ronaldo is good from 25 meters onwards but
closer than that he blows. Ronaldo roughly manages to shoot on goal 25% of his free kicks. That's bad man.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I honestly don't get some people on here. I have never quite understood the vilification of Pique from last season. While I agree that he did have some mental lapses of concentration and wasn't as sharp as he usually was last year, that by no means qualifies him as shit. Pique is EASILY one of the best CBs in the world. As a CB, no one in the planet (yes including everyone's beloved Kompany that some people delusionally believe Barca should get) has better technique than Pique. His ability and composure on the ball is second to no one, as is his ability to move the ball from the defense to the midfield smoothly and efficiently.This, along with his towering height and excellent ability to read the game and intercept with a well timed tackle is why he will be the best defender in the world once he hits his peak. (he is already top 5 imo)

Let me be perfectly clear: our best starting CB pair is Pique-Puyol. Period. If we do buy anyone this summer (which I really don't think we need to), they should be the fourth option behind Pique, Puyol and Mascherano. In my ideal world next season, Pique and Puyol will start all of our most important games (El Clasico, competitive CL games, etc.) and Mascherano will fill in for Puyol when he needs a rest. Barta deserves the chance to be able to step up and truly show his quality should either Pique, Puyol or Mascherano go down due to injury or suspension. Keep in mind, we hopefully will have Abidal back for the second half of the season (read online that he wants to play before the end of the year, I think late January-early February is more realistic) who could be our deputy defender and come in if we need him. With Abidal and Barta backing up a three man rotation between Pique, Puyol and Mascherano, we shouldn't have any defense problems this year.

Trust in our players, particularly Puyol, Pique and Barta. They are born and raised in our system: Puyol is our Maldini, Pique is our Kompany, Barta can be as great as Puyol and Pique if we give him a real chance.

Am I right?

Arachnid

I honestly don't get some people on here. I have never quite understood the vilification of Pique from last season. While I agree that he did have some mental lapses of concentration and wasn't as sharp as he usually was last year, that by no means qualifies him as shit. Pique is EASILY one of the best CBs in the world. As a CB, no one in the planet (yes including everyone's beloved Kompany that some people delusionally believe Barca should get) has better technique than Pique. His ability and composure on the ball is second to no one, as is his ability to move the ball from the defense to the midfield smoothly and efficiently.This, along with his towering height and excellent ability to read the game and intercept with a well timed tackle is why he will be the best defender in the world once he hits his peak. (he is already top 5 imo)

Let me be perfectly clear: our best starting CB pair is Pique-Puyol. Period. If we do buy anyone this summer (which I really don't think we need to), they should be the fourth option behind Pique, Puyol and Mascherano. In my ideal world next season, Pique and Puyol will start all of our most important games (El Clasico, competitive CL games, etc.) and Mascherano will fill in for Puyol when he needs a rest. Barta deserves the chance to be able to step up and truly show his quality should either Pique, Puyol or Mascherano go down due to injury or suspension. Keep in mind, we hopefully will have Abidal back for the second half of the season (read online that he wants to play before the end of the year, I think late January-early February is more realistic) who could be our deputy defender and come in if we need him. With Abidal and Barta backing up a three man rotation between Pique, Puyol and Mascherano, we shouldn't have any defense problems this year.

Trust in our players, particularly Puyol, Pique and Barta. They are born and raised in our system: Puyol is our Maldini, Pique is our Kompany, Barta can be as great as Puyol and Pique if we give him a real chance.

Am I right?

I completely trust Puyol... I just don't trust that he's going to beat nature and stop having another injury - ravaged season, just like any other defender his age.

Galning

Nice post man! :thumbsup2:

I think most of us trust our current CB's (yeah there are the usual idiots who say player X sucks. In defence Piqué is the scapegoat) but we just have to be careful when somebody gets injured. Puyol isn't getting any younger and he had to deal with injuries the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he stays healthy this year but no matter how much he says he wants to play until he's 40 we have to keep in mind that it's only natural for a man his age to get injuries if he wants to play at this level.
Then just imagine Piqué or Mascherano gets a minor injury for let's say 2-3 weeks and we're really screwed. What are our options then? Bartra, Piqué/Mascherano and Busquets? That's one youngster, a CB and a DM.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Last season Ronaldo had like 30 attempts, 0 goals.
2010-11, ~50 attempts 4 goals
09-10 ~50 attempts 3-4 goals
08-09 ~50 attempts 3-4 goals

The reasons he's a feared free kick taker is that once the free kick hits within the posts, the ball is impossible to
glue for the goalie. He either will get his hands to it and the ball will just bounce some direction or then he won't
save it. Messi and Xavi both take 10 times more accurate free kicks. Ronaldo is good from 25 meters onwards but
closer than that he blows. Ronaldo roughly manages to shoot on goal 25% of his free kicks. That's bad man.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/1v9r0nqzuesvvtuzmdzezw/Show

54 free kicks, 2 goals (in the league)
I believe he scored once in the CL too

DennyCrane

You have to take it with a pinch of salt. It's common language use on forums (and not only there), for example:

Player performs great: Then he's either god himself or, in other cases, "just" fuckin awesome.
Player performs sub-par (always measured by past performances which have no binding at all ): "He' s shit/full of shit !", "Sell him!", always connected with a player to buy in a (not necessarily) similar position who's either - at least according to the author - "god" or "fuckin awesome"

Also, people in general have a tendency to exaggerate; for example:

A certain player makes 100 passes while completing 85 of them: "He can't get anything straight !" "His passing is shit !", optionally connected with praising another player (with a tendency to EPL players) who completed 86 out of 100 passes and therefore is either "god" or "fuckin awesome". With Piqué, it's a special case, because Shakira is apparently the reason for his "shit/full of shit" performances, thereby willfully ignoring the fact that he's still seen as one of the best, if not the best CB the world has to offer in professional circles.

Really, dont take such statements serious or you won't be able to read more than three pages in the players section without a heartattack or your head going boom.

Am I right?

I partially agree, but I don't think Abi will be back to his former self by the beginning of the next year and is therefore a backup option only. We'll definitely need someone to amend the squad, preferably a "natural" CB and not a converted DM, who's at least halfway on par with Masch. If Puyol and Pique get injured next season (and they will) we can say goodbye to La Liga and CL. Or do you want to see Dani, Alba, Masch/Busquets and Bartra defending set-pieces? I sure as hell don't. Look how many games developed into draws after a lead last season because of bad set-piece defending/bad defending in general, which cost us the title. Our makeshift-defense will then either have to pull over-the-top performances which means playing above their possibilities or we'll need lots of luck. I wouldn't rely on any of it.

Because of Barcas' reputation and status, it's much easier for us to lure players here than it once were and we should use this as long as it lasts. I've always opted for Chiellini, which is more of a fantasy. But someone like Hummels, Subotic, Daley Blind or Yanga-Mbiwa should be in reach for the club.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I hear peoples concerns with Puyol's health. If we have give or take 60 games this season (36 la liga games, 14 CL games [not including the final] and 8 CdR games) I would imagine that Puyol would only start about half of them. And he should be subbed off for 50% of those games if we are 3 or 4 nil up and cruising during the second half. As long as we manage his playing time and only keep him on when we need him, we should be able to keep him healthy all season (barring a knee going out or an injury from a tough tackle which there is nothing we can do about). If Maldini could do it, Puyol can do it.

As far as Abidal goes, we really shouldn't push it too much with him. Even if he did miraculously be able to start playing again around the time I said earlier, it should be nothing more than brief 10-15 minute cameo's. The fact that he can even still be in the conversation about playing football again is amazing and we do not want to jeopardize his health at all. But if we got desperate (like Puyol and Pique both out for considerable amounts of time) that should be the only time we turn to him as an option. Hope it doesn't get to that point. Tito is a smart guy, he will know how to manage our players and know when to make subs and protect our vulnerable players perhaps better than Pep did. One of the biggest problems I think we had with Puyol last year was that we played him a lot more than we should have due to Pep losing trust in Pique. Unlike last season, Puyol has had a lot of time to rest due to him sitting out for the Euro's so he should be a lot fresher and better rested than previous seasons. As long as Tito is smart and keeps a solid three man rotation between Pique, Puyol and Mascherano, we hopefully can keep Puyol match fit and maintain his sharpness throughout the entire season.

As far as signing a new CB, again we might not need to if Barta step's up and answers the call if we need him. We gotta bleed him and know for sure if he is the real deal or not. Case and point, Pep gave Bojan plenty of chances to step up and rise to the occasion and we found out that he wasn't ready. We can't write off Barta because he hasn't had the same amount of chances as say Tello and Cuenca have to show what he's got. You'd be surprised how much faith and confidence from the coach can raise a player's game. If we can develop Barta to be our long term replacement for Puyol, not only would we yet again prove the quality of La Masia, we would save ourselves at least 30+ million from having to go out and buy a big name like Hummels, Martinez etc.

All and all, I am really excited for the new season. I just hope we don't get hit with the injury bug again like we did last season.

Anyone notice that it's key injuries that stop us, never teams being better than us, particularly in CL. When Inter won it, Iniesta was out. Last season obviously it was Villa. Coincidence? I think not...

Visca el Barca

Galning

Fucking lol how he has to give the thumbs up while laying on a hospital bed with wires all over his body.

oz187

We've got 3 full time defenders coming into this season, if we get a defender we don't need to splash out 40M on the best defender around. We need a squad player who's good enough to be 4th choice.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
We've got 3 full time defenders coming into this season, if we get a defender we don't need to splash out 40M on the best defender around. We need a squad player who's good enough to be 4th choice.
n_f_c_barcelona_marc_bartra-2076429.jpg

Galning

@barcastuff
Barcelona have 3 days to buy Botia for 5M and keep him at first team. If they renounce, he'll join Sevilla. Barcelona get 30% of fee [md rm]

@barcastuff
Sporting defender Alberto Botia (23) did not yet sign for Sevilla because Barcelona, who have a buyback option, have to give ok

Home of Barca Fans