Dmytro Chygrynskiy

[FCB]Messi[10

They're not slow, they don't have pace .. but they can sure keep up with the player they're marking. Plus speed isn't the most important thing for a defender (unless the other team depends on counter-attacks) both are very good in defending set peices, tackling, man-marking. Speed isn't everything, if that was the case then Man United wouldn't have been so successful with Ferdinand and Vidic.

you are 100% on this one. Speed is not everything for a defender, and I should know since I play the defensive position CB like Pique and Puyol. Defending is mostly all about man marking, tackling, maybe speed sometimes if the other team like you said is about counter attacks. So I think he will do well in CB just like Pique did last season.

zanela

They're not slow, they don't have pace .. but they can sure keep up with the player they're marking. Plus speed isn't the most important thing for a defender (unless the other team depends on counter-attacks) both are very good in defending set peices, tackling, man-marking. Speed isn't everything, if that was the case then Man United wouldn't have been so successful with Ferdinand and Vidic.

I never said speed is the most imp thing, but wen one of ur CB's is slow its better to pair him alongside sme1 who can make up for tht lack of speed...Puyol so far has been helpful in tht regard...And 95% of our opponents counter-attack us...So yes we require a CB whose got pace & imagine the likes of ur Villas, ladyboy, Benzema etc counter-attack...u wudnt want a Torres do to ur CB wht he did to Vidic wud u? ;)

Evil

Shabazz
I never said speed is the most imp thing, but wen one of ur CB's is slow its better to pair him alongside sme1 who can make up for tht lack of speed...Puyol so far has been helpful in tht regard...And 95% of our opponents counter-attack us...So yes we require a CB whose got pace & imagine the likes of ur Villas, ladyboy, Benzema etc counter-attack...u wudnt want a Torres do to ur CB wht he did to Vidic wud u? ;)

Speed is important. I'm just saying it's not the most important, and Puyol isn't fast at all.. Don't know where you got that from :confused:
Anyways, if we're up against Villa like you suggested, that's when man-marking comes to place, if a defender is smart enough he can read an attacking move or a pass and intercept. He shouldn't have to wait till the attacker get's the ball at his feet and makes a dash and then think about reacting. It doesn't work like that ! Plus like Monte said on top, Caceres has alot of speed for a CB, and we all saw how well that turned out.

You have a point with the most teams counter attacking us, because we play high up the pitch and use the offside trap alot, and once that's broken then only speed can save us, but I believe that's when Abidal or Alves come in .. and plus it's not like Pique has turtle speed anyways, I've seen him make a few good dashes. We'll see, they're most likely going to be paired against Getafe or the match after it, so it'll all be clear then.

FlyLo

Like Evil says, you can make up for your lack of pace by anticipating. And I think Chygrynskiy is excellent at that since he kept Messi from dribbling through their centre defense in the Super Cup.

Besides, Puyol isn't that fast anymore.. But he's also the king of anticipation.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I just found out that Chygrynskiy has a college degree. "Company management - finances"

zanela

Speed is important. I'm just saying it's not the most important, and Puyol isn't fast at all.. Don't know where you got that from :confused:
Anyways, if we're up against Villa like you suggested, that's when man-marking comes to place, if a defender is smart enough he can read an attacking move or a pass and intercept. He shouldn't have to wait till the attacker get's the ball at his feet and makes a dash and then think about reacting. It doesn't work like that ! Plus like Monte said on top, Caceres has alot of speed for a CB, and we all saw how well that turned out.

You have a point with the most teams counter attacking us, because we play high up the pitch and use the offside trap alot, and once that's broken then only speed can save us, but I believe that's when Abidal or Alves come in .. and plus it's not like Pique has turtle speed anyways, I've seen him make a few good dashes. We'll see, they're most likely going to be paired against Getafe or the match after it, so it'll all be clear then.

Puyol isnt fast like he was but hez still faster thn Pique & i got tht frm watching both play week in, week out for both club & country...
Dnt knw y u & Monte are bringing the eg, of Caceres as i never said speed shud be the only quality in a CB..wht i do believe is its not ideal playing 2 slow CB's together...Anticipation does work but wen it doesnt ur speed can rescue u..If both ur CB's have a weakness, the opponents ll look to exploit tht...Hence, it can only be beneficial for ur defence for atleast 1 of ur CB's to not 've any glaring weakness...

Necro Spaaw

NeSaVlaDiV
Puyol isnt fast like he was but hez still faster thn Pique & i got tht frm watching both play week in, week out for both club & country...
Dnt knw y u & Monte are bringing the eg, of Caceres as i never said speed shud be the only quality in a CB..wht i do believe is its not ideal playing 2 slow CB's together...Anticipation does work but wen it doesnt ur speed can rescue u..If both ur CB's have a weakness, the opponents ll look to exploit tht...Hence, it can only be beneficial for ur defence for atleast 1 of ur CB's to not 've any glaring weakness...

yea but I don't think any of them are THAT slow.. :)

Evil

Shabazz

I watch Barca week in, week out as well, but I honestly don't see Puyol being fast at all. You rate speed way to high for a CB, both Pique and Chygrynskiy have all the qualities to form the best partnership. What about Terry-Alex/Carvalho, or Ferdinand-Vidic, or Matrix-Samuel, or Nesta-Maldini, or Thuram-Cannavaro, Etc. the list goes on, all these are these were the best in the world at one point and I don't remember anyone of them having pace.
My point is, a defender should have the qualities of defending i.e cut the ball off the attacker when he comes one-on-one, intercept passes, head the ball Etc. When you say speed, it sound like we're always on the back foot and wait for the attacker to get behind the defense, and then use speed to dash and catch up with him, as far as I know that's not how it works!
Anyways, like I said, we'll see what happens when they get paired up.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I watch Barca week in, week out as well, but I honestly don't see Puyol being fast at all. You rate speed way to high for a CB, both Pique and Chygrynskiy have all the qualities to form the best partnership. What about Terry-Alex/Carvalho, or Ferdinand-Vidic, or Matrix-Samuel, or Nesta-Maldini, or Thuram-Cannavaro, Etc. the list goes on, all these are these were the best in the world at one point and I don't remember anyone of them having pace.
My point is, a defender should have the qualities of defending i.e cut the ball off the attacker when he comes one-on-one, intercept passes, head the ball Etc. When you say speed, it sound like we're always on the back foot and wait for the attacker to get behind the defense, and then use speed to dash and catch up with him, as far as I know that's not how it works!
Anyways, like I said, we'll see what happens when they get paired up.

rio and nesta are kinda quick. and tbh thuram was fucking lightning.

but by and large pace is only crucial to a CB if they're shit. it's a nice thing to have but being able to recover a situation only arises if you're not good enough to deal with the situation first.

P

Prototype

I m satisfied but the transfer could be with less money. But doesn't matter he is very good player

Home of Barca Fans