Douglas Costa

Catta

Yeah, but Muller and Lewa were on the pitch, how did they still lose the game? I'm genuinely confused.

Maybe because Bayern is overrated, and not the unbeatable team that people think they are. They lost because Arsenal were the better team.

serghei

I haven't watched him a lot, but based on what I saw last night, and again I might be wrong, he is very fast and very skillful, but not that creative. Doesn't seem to me like the type of player who could split you with a clever through ball. Most of the times he was doing quick-dribble + cross/shoot combos. He's very good at that, but I'm curious if he sticks to those things because he is instructed to do so, or he is just playing the football he knows by heart. He is the type of player Deulofeu would have ended up like (he still can) if he was more professional/mature.

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

I haven't watched him a lot, but based on what I saw last night, and again I might be wrong, he is very fast and very skillful, but not that creative. Doesn't seem to me like the type of player who could split you with a clever through ball. Most of the times he was doing quick-dribble + cross/shoot combos. He's very good at that, but I'm curious if he sticks to those things because he is instructed to do so, or he is just speed + tricks -- sort of like a superior version of Oxlade Chamberlain.

nop he has also very good vision. Problem was yesterday that Arsenal was bus parking hardcore and playing long balls. He always had 2 Opponents, sometimes even 3.

serghei

nop he has also very good vision. Problem was yesterday that Arsenal was bus parking hardcore and playing long balls. He always had 2 Opponents, sometimes even 3.

I'll watch him again and will convince myself with time. But I will do so watching CL games, not Bundesliga.

Co0ter

I haven't watched him a lot, but based on what I saw last night, and again I might be wrong, he is very fast and very skillful, but not that creative. Doesn't seem to me like the type of player who could split you with a clever through ball. Most of the times he was doing quick-dribble + cross/shoot combos. He's very good at that, but I'm curious if he sticks to those things because he is instructed to do so, or he is just playing the football he knows by heart. He is the type of player Deulofeu would have ended up like (he still can) if he was more professional/mature.

That is what it seems like to me as well, but then again I don't watch Bayern that much since it's pretty boring.

Yannik

I haven't watched him a lot, but based on what I saw last night, and again I might be wrong, he is very fast and very skillful, but not that creative. Doesn't seem to me like the type of player who could split you with a clever through ball. Most of the times he was doing quick-dribble + cross/shoot combos. He's very good at that, but I'm curious if he sticks to those things because he is instructed to do so, or he is just playing the football he knows by heart.

Trial and error method. He dribbles to the goalline close to the goal, then smashes the ball into the middle or releases a strong shot onto goal from short angle so that the goalkeeper has to parry it out of play or into the middle. The defenders can clear his deliveries most of the time, but when he does that 5-6 times in a game then they will fail defending that at least once. Of course he doesnt smash it into the middle all the time, if he seeks out a smart passing option then he also goes for it.

serghei

Trial and error method. He dribbles to the goalline close to the goal, then smashes the ball into the middle or releases a strong shot onto goal from short angle so that the goalkeeper has to parry it out of play or into the middle. The defenders can clear his deliveries most of the time, but when he does that 5-6 times in a game then they will fail defending that at least once. Of course he doesnt smash it into the middle all the time, if he seeks out a smart passing option then he also goes for it.

I guess you are right. But I don't like that approach. We also tried that by asking Alves to cross the shit out of every ball he had, in the hope that something good will come out. I hated that style, granted we didn't have players like Lewa and Muller to speculate those kind of crosses. I'm just curious what will happen when Bayern will not be able to have that many players waiting in the box for a cross and Costa will have to make the most of fewer usable balls. If he can become an intelligent playmaker-winger type, or if he will be shut down due to lack of service/support from his teammates.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
There is a difference between the stuff Alves did (which was garbage) and Costa's actions. Crosses no matter if high or low are only useful against a disrupted defense. You have to get behind the opponent's defense line or make them lose their shape due to a successful 1on1 or something.
That is what Costa does. Out of a static situation he creates something that makes the opponent react to it. That causes space for his teammates to run into or their marker in the box has to shift across the field leaving his man open etc.
His crosses are rather accurate while being really powerful. Those balls are difficult to control for defenders and the keeper.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
There is a difference between the stuff Alves did (which was garbage) and Costa's actions. Crosses no matter if high or low are only useful against a disrupted defense. You have to get behind the opponent's defense line or make them lose their shape due to a successful 1on1 or something.
That is what Costa does. Out of a static situation he creates something that makes the opponent react to it. That causes space for his teammates to run into or their marker in the box has to shift across the field leaving his man open etc.
His crosses are rather accurate while being really powerful. Those balls are difficult to control for defenders and the keeper. Especially low crosses into the six-yard-box.

Maybe because Bayern is overrated, and not the unbeatable team that people think they are. They lost because Arsenal were the better team.

They still hsve that reputation off of that time they beat us 7-0 over the tie. The lack of competition in the german league doesnt help. As always we'll see whether the hype was warranted or not by the end of this season.

Observer

Banned
Im so happy for Brazil, with Neymar and Douglas Costa they can wreck anybody. Neymar and Costa are practically unstoppable on 1v1 and they can create Counter themselves because of their amazing speed and skills

Yea Douglas need more experience tho' at an international level with Brazil. In the match against Chile Isla & Medel toyed him pretty bad, he couldn't do anything.

Home of Barca Fans