Eden Hazard

footyfan

Calma, calma
He is not marked so tight as Messi and of course he doesnt face buses every week. He is in the top-3 dribblers out there though.

Not really, atleast not in terms of how it would affect dribbling accuracy. He gets more dribbles out on the wing though.

DrPepper

Also Hazard should get more space than Messi due to Chelsea's more vertical style of play. You can often see Chelsea regaining the ball followed by a successful Hazard dribble to start a counter attack.

He's amazing though. About a year ago I thought he was overrated. But then again I'm always sceptical of those skillful-winger-type players like Hazard or Neymar. Too many of them turn out to be utter shit like Nani or Robinho.

Last edited:

Moose

Don't care how high he's rated but for sheer entertainment-value, he's one of the very best to watch. Such a great style of play.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not really, atleast not in terms of how it would affect dribbling accuracy. He gets more dribbles out on the wing though.

Everything is anecdotal and subjective though, as not all dribbles are equal.

That said, personally I felt Hazard is probably more agile than Messi of 2014 and faster than Messi.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Also Hazard should get more space than Messi due to Chelsea's more vertical style of play. You can often see Chelsea regaining the ball followed by a successful Hazard dribble to start a counter attack.

He's amazing though. About a year ago I thought he was overrated. But then again I'm always sceptical of those skillful-winger-type players like Hazard or Neymar. Too many of them turn out to be utter shit like Nani or Robinho.

My sentiment exactly.

By the way, while we are at it, who is better, Hazard vs. Goetze?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't think he is better than Messi in dribbling, but he certainly is better than Neymar IMO.

red dragon2

My sentiment exactly.

By the way, while we are at it, who is better, Hazard vs. Goetze?

Hazard is flashier, more explosive and can run past players, goetze is more reliant to play 1-2s with teammates but is equally, if not superior to hazard turning in tight spaces. goetze's 1st touch is better, just spot on while both are clever, creative passers. goetze is probably a little better in front of goal, he has that great composure when faced with a chance. however, hazard is fast establishing himself as chelsea's best player whereas goetze although improving as player every week is behind robben, alonso, lahm in terms of importance.
hazard is a bit older but both are excellent players and along with neymar will compete for the ballon d'or. goetze is iniesta to hazard's messi basically.
btw, I ' m from germany and have seen goetze every week since he was 17, I know him well as a player

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Gotze has the better ability to make the difference in big moments. Hazard does but he's rather inconsistent still. Once he's consistent he'll probably end up as one of, if not the best attacker in the world in a few years. Plus he needs to score more, he's been in good form lately though.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hazard is flashier, more explosive and can run past players, goetze is more reliant to play 1-2s with teammates but is equally, if not superior to hazard turning in tight spaces. goetze's 1st touch is better, just spot on while both are clever, creative passers. goetze is probably a little better in front of goal, he has that great composure when faced with a chance. however, hazard is fast establishing himself as chelsea's best player whereas goetze although improving as player every week is behind robben, alonso, lahm in terms of importance.
hazard is a bit older but both are excellent players and along with neymar will compete for the ballon d'or. goetze is iniesta to hazard's messi basically.
btw, I ' m from germany and have seen goetze every week since he was 17, I know him well as a player

I thought your assessment was spot on. :beer2:

Just one thing, I think Goetze is not exactly Iniesta as I think he lacks the vision that Iniesta has but definitely a better goal scorer than Iniesta. Hazard, on the other hand, despite his amazing dribbling skills and his ability to tear up the opponent's defense, has not established himself as a prolific goal scorer yet.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Gotze has the better ability to make the difference in big moments. Hazard does but he's rather inconsistent still. Once he's consistent he'll probably end up as one of, if not the best attacker in the world in a few years. Plus he needs to score more, he's been in good form lately though.

True. His end product is, overall, quite underwhelming despite some brilliant work prior to it. As I've read, Mourinho is pushing him hard to be more clinical in front of goal and even with the final pass.

Neymar, on the other hand, seems to be quite the opposite this season. Underwhelming in the build-up, losing too many balls and passes, but his end product has been fantastic.

D

DirtySanchez

Hazard is far from inconsistent (Definition: "not staying the same throughout".) That's ridiculous especially on the basis of this season. His all round game is consistently brilliant. Like Iniesta, he can impact a game without having to score or assist.

Seems like Messi and Ronaldo's goalscoring stats has distorted how people rate players. I doubt Zidane wouldn't be as revered as he was if he was from this current generation.

Playing under a negative manager like Mourinho doesn't do him any favours either mind, for one he would probably be playing centrally in any other team not named Madrid or Barca, it's a waste of his ability to stick him out wide.

james baldwin

His goal-scoring record of the past 3 seasons is 22, 14, 17. That's impressive for a pure winger. Besides, he is more of a creator than a goalscorer, so it's difficult to judge him for goals, that's why Chelsea signed Costa and Remy.

Mitchell1978

He is a great dribbler but don't overdo it, Messi is the best dribbler. Hazard's dribbling and build are quite similar to Messi but his production isn't good enough, at least for his talent.

D

DirtySanchez

He is a great dribbler but don't overdo it, Messi is the best dribbler. Hazard's dribbling and build are quite similar to Messi but his production isn't good enough, at least for his talent.

He's scored 22, 14 and 17 goals in his last 3 seasons. How many wingers have better scoring records than that?

By the way, as brlliant Messi is, his dribbling ability has clearly declined since 2012. For me, on the basis of what I've seen this season Hazard is the better dribbler these days and the best in the World. I can understand why people would still prefer Messi but Hazard seems for agile than Leo this season.

According to Squawka, Hazard averages the most dribbles in Europe (5.3 p/g 69% success rate in the PL, 6.3 p/g (!!!) 65% in the CL). Messi averages 3.8 in La Liga (46% success rate), 6.3 in the CL (57% success rate).

Home of Barca Fans