EL: Manchester United - FC Barcelona (4-3)

Andresito

Staff member
Very important game. Think a win/loss here will have a significant effect on team morale. Would also suck just to only have Liga and CdR games to look forward to for the rest of the season.
Hope Xavi goes for the Gala backline with Kounde, Araujo, Christensen, Balde.

Also think 4-3-3 with three attackers will be more suited with the players we have available rather than shoehorning Roberto, Kessie, Busi and Frenkie into the same lineup.

Porque

f6ffd042-3b23-4b87-a7e9-5589ccaffbe5_media-libre-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

Barcilliant

Very important game. Think a win/loss here will have a significant effect on team morale. Would also suck just to only have Liga and CdR games to look forward to for the rest of the season.
Hope Xavi goes for the Gala backline with Kounde, Araujo, Christensen, Balde.

Also think 4-3-3 with three attackers will be more suited with the players we have available rather than shoehorning Roberto, Kessie, Busi and Frenkie into the same lineup.

These are the kind of big games the club needs to win to build the momentum and confidence for the future, especially in Europe where we have sucked for the past eight years.
If we don't win this we start at zero yet again.
This year's EL has some good teams in it. Winning it would be a massive stepping stone for the club at this point.

Porque

Roberto would operate more infield almost as a free role 4th midfielder. The Gavi role basically.

Only point of debate seems Alba or Balde. I think you need to go for the pace of Balde considering you want the left side offensive option to get back to a) defend and b) have pace for when Rashford switches there.

ET is a real possibility so save Alba's legs for that.

I reckon Xavi goes for experience and Alba starts. We play slow possession controlling buildup and he gets shred to pieces on the counter. May provide an assist though.

Andresito

Staff member
Let's not forget the European GOAT Marcos Alonso.

I think Xavi is desperate for some sort of surprise. Could be Alonso playing in front of Balde. I just want Xavi to use what has made us look solid before, no experiments.

delancey

After half the internet whined about Alonso starting in the last game against Man U, I doubt Xavi will play him today. But, maybe he is itching for a surprise move yet again ? :lol:

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
After half the internet whined about Alonso starting in the last game against Man U, I doubt Xavi will play him today. But, maybe he is itching for a surprise move yet again ? :lol:

Well he scored a goal so I wouldn't be surprised, even if Rashford walked past him for the first goal, but that's easy to sweep under the rug.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Not saying it is impossible but steel yourself for an L, folks. Football rarely follows logic 100% sure but I dont see how we can really cause problems to UTD with this lineup. It is going to take a perfect game from us and our best back line simply has to start. If either Alba or Alonso start (God help us if its both again), it should be curtains by halftime.

Wish I could be more optimistic but I am just not convinced fr by Lewy and our hopes largely resting on a carry job from him or Raphinha just doesnt inspire confidence in me.

Only other thing I will add is we should play 3 pure forwards. Wan Bissaka was not getting good help at all from Bruno on that side and 3 pure forwards would give us better potential to have a 2v1 overload on that flank. Flip a coin on Bob vs Kessie as the 3rd alongside Frenkie-Busi and see how the first half goes.

The 4 midfield system really only works with the characteristics of Gavi and Pedri, just doesnt make sense to try and fit a different profile of player into this system just to see it be way less effective.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans