Enzo Fernández

jamrock

No one from Spain or Italy came in for him, so that comment is irrelevant.

Would have been better to say EPL money talks for the simple fact that they could afford his release clause, only Madrid from Italy & Spain could afford to do that, if they did, chances are he goes to Madrid.

Andresito

Staff member
Saul got a 9-year contract in 2017 and Inaki Williams got one as well in 2019. This isn't only happening in PL.

Andresito

Staff member
120m for a central/defensive midfielder... Not sure what he'll have to do to make it worth for Chelsea.

Xavi, Iniesta, Modric would probably all have been worth 120m if spent early in their careers.
We're talking multple CLs and PL's as a sure starter for up to 10 years. Think he's a brilliant player, but don't think he can reach those heights.

FinBarcelonafan

120m for a central/defensive midfielder... Not sure what he'll have to do to make it worth for Chelsea.

Xavi, Iniesta, Modric would probably all have been worth 120m if spent early in their careers.
We're talking multple CLs and PL's as a sure starter for up to 10 years. Think he's a brilliant player, but don't think he can reach those heights.

This. Doomed to fail, even if he succeeds.

It's so rare to have player caliber of those mentioned. Flop danger: 99 %.

Happy for Enzo. At least he'll be a rich man after this.

Barcilliant

Lol are you retarded?

Dumbass. There was a time when South American players would choose Italy or Spain over EPL despite being offered better wages. They also preferred weather and style of play in the two countries over England.
It's different now thanks to EPL purchasing power completely diminishing other leagues. Even clubs like Bayern and Madrid will struggle if this situation persists.

When were you born anyway? 2009?

ajnotkeith

Dude no one was handing 8 or 9 yr contracts, and no one before Boehly tried to cheat FFP this way, because they played by the rules

'the rules were there for anyone to take advantage of them' LOL :lol:
Like saying there are ways to break into a house that were there for everyone to see but only a clever thief managed to see them
Yes, maybe because the others didn't want to steal in the first place

Not cheating as at the end of the day it is the players who are agreeing to that long of a contract, which is their choice.

The real problem is Chelsea can outspend the entire rest of the world in one window.

Andresito

Staff member
Dumbass. There was a time when South American players would choose Italy or Spain over EPL despite being offered better wages. They also preferred weather and style of play in the two countries over England.
It's different now thanks to EPL purchasing power completely diminishing other leagues. Even clubs like Bayern and Madrid will struggle if this situation persists.

When were you born anyway? 2009?

What makes you think Enzo had a choice? Benfica wouldn't sell for anything less than his release clause now. No other club but Chelsea were willing to offer that during the winter transfer window.
Not like they made a bargain. They paid an extreme amount of WC tax.

mc_lovin

Not cheating as at the end of the day it is the players who are agreeing to that long of a contract, which is their choice.

The real problem is Chelsea can outspend the entire rest of the world in one window.

Hope the players on 8+ year contracts negotiated well. After all they forfeit a lot of power.

To the other point: I assume that was a once in a life time window for Chelsea (beginning with Abramovic forgiving debt). But you still look at their squad and are not blown away. Tons of redundancies, no real world-class players (yet). Enzo is arguably the best transfer and he ticks all the boxes for a big transfer going sideways (barely a season in Europe, WC hype..).

Fire sale in Summer will be interesting now.

Messi983

Saul got a 9-year contract in 2017 and Inaki Williams got one as well in 2019. This isn't only happening in PL.

That's different though. They've extended contract with clubs they have grown up in and they "love".

Totally understandable why Chelsea are doing these longterm contracts (although not without a big risk for them) but I'm a bit surprised players have agreed. Sure, it gives them a longterm financial stability (especially if they get injured) but at the same time can also risk to lose much more money down the road. Don't know how much they are paid, I've heard something about Mudryk getting around 90k a week (don't know about Enzo) which ofc is a lot for a relatively unproven kid coming from Ukrainian league but OTOH is also not that much for a 100m transfer (we just know Bartomeu would give him at least 300k). But if he turns into a top 3/5 winger in the world over the next few years and he starts to think he deserves a pay raise Chelsea will have absolutely no need to do that becasue he'll still be tied to them for 5 or 6 years.

If I'm a young player that believe in my own abilities (and most of these players are "alphas" or at least they think they are) I would push for shorter term contracts (max. 4 years) to keep control over my future in my own hands. I think football in general is moving towards a direction where top players like Mbappe will try to run down their contracts in their mid-twenties to maximize their value on the market. In other words get as much money as they can. Which I don't really like but understand it. Clubs are getting richer every day (except Spanish ones but that's another story) and players who are the main reason for that think they deserve a bigger share as well. But by agreeing on 7-8 year contracts in their early twenties new Chelsea players probably won't maximize their value in their prime years.

Andresito

Staff member
That's different though. They've extended contract with clubs they have grown up in and they "love".

Totally understandable why Chelsea are doing these longterm contracts (although not without a big risk for them) but I'm a bit surprised players have agreed. Sure, it gives them a longterm financial stability (especially if they get injured) but at the same time can also risk to lose much more money down the road. Don't know how much they are paid, I've heard something about Mudryk getting around 90k a week (don't know about Enzo) which ofc is a lot for a relatively unproven kid coming from Ukrainian league but OTOH is also not that much for a 100m transfer (we just know Bartomeu would give him at least 300k). But if he turns into a top 3/5 winger in the world over the next few years and he starts to think he deserves a pay raise Chelsea will have absolutely no need to do that becasue he'll still be tied to them for 5 or 6 years.

If I'm a young player that believe in my own abilities (and most of these players are "alphas" or at least they think they are) I would push for shorter term contracts (max. 4 years) to keep control over my future in my own hands. I think football in general is moving towards a direction where top players like Mbappe will try to run down their contracts in their mid-twenties to maximize their value on the market. In other words get as much money as they can. Which I don't really like but understand it. Clubs are getting richer every day (except Spanish ones but that's another story) and players who are the main reason for that think they deserve a bigger share as well. But by agreeing on 7-8 year contracts in their early twenties new Chelsea players probably won't maximize their value in their prime years.

Was thinking about clubs POV.

I'm sure those contracts arent't fixed during the whole period. Surely there are some lojalty bonuses, increase of salary over the years and probably some clauses to renegotiate the contract.

I doubt agents would allow 'simple' contracts for their players if there wasn't some sort of benefit or a possibility to get out if even us laymen can spot the risks. Definitely a lot of more advanced stuff like certain clauses in that contract. Will probably come out sooner or later what the player can and can't do during the course of the contract.

klik

Fucking Chelsea smh.

Gotta give it to Benfica flipped 10m into 100? In 12 months ain't no joke.

Clubs like Benfica, Napoli, bilboa are a hell to buy from, gotta respect it.

not 12 months... He arrived in July .. so... ( July , August , September, October , January... )... 5 month.... , November and december are essencially World Cup..

FinBarcelonafan

not 12 months... He arrived in July .. so... ( July , August , September, October , January... )... 5 month.... , November and december are essencially World Cup..

He has CL and World Cup hype. Usually these don't pan out. Remember Jerry Mina? :D

Enzo is the most expensive player in the history of PL. That's pretty mind-blowing.

klik

What makes you think Enzo had a choice? Benfica wouldn't sell for anything less than his release clause now. No other club but Chelsea were willing to offer that during the winter transfer window.
Not like they made a bargain. They paid an extreme amount of WC tax.

it is the other way around
Benfica did not wanted to sell at all.. even for 120M ( half season.. not proper timing). It was enzo who force the issue multiple times.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
it is the other way around
Benfica did not wanted to sell at all.. even for 120M ( half season.. not proper timing). It was enzo who force the issue multiple times.

Them wanting or not doesn't matter when he has a release clause.

Home of Barca Fans