Eric Abidal

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Watching games so don't try that uber fan crap

I wasn't accusing you of not watching games or not being a proper fan, it's a figure of speech. I don't agree with your evaluation because based on his performance as a centerback last season can only be described as class. Also he was equally awful as a left back vs. Madrid first leg, so I think it's just a matter of him being off form.

Barcafan 2304

I wasn't accusing you of not watching games or not being a proper fan, it's a figure of speech. I don't agree with your evaluation because based on his performance as a centerback last season can only be described as class. Also he was equally awful as a left back vs. Madrid first leg, so I think it's just a matter of him being off form.

Fair enough then, it's all about opinions.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I thought Abidal was Barca's best defender last season he was immense at cb, looked very clumsy tonight but im sure he'll get it together still very early in the season

soarq

It's very simple. Abidal is left full-back and he's impeccable on the left side. In the center he needs another top center-back to guide him. He had Mascherano... Simple as that.

F

Flavia

barcastuff
Barcelona defender Eric Abidal (31) doesn't accept Barcelona's current renewal offer and will take some time to think about his future [com]

I'm getting worried.

DucdeOrléans

When will his current contract expire?

Let us not forget that he will be 33 years old when the next season starts. We will surely be looking for a replacement next summer or see whether Fontás/Muniesa can make it on the long run.

Still regret that we did not buy Sakho in January (there were rumours and interest). Now it will be difficult without paying a big transfer fee.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
When will his current contract expire?

Let us not forget that he will be 33 years old when the next season starts. We will surely be looking for a replacement next summer or see whether Fontás/Muniesa can make it on the long run.

Still regret that we did not buy Sakho in January (there were rumours and interest). Now it will be difficult without paying a big transfer fee.

Summer 2012, as far as I know.

I also remember Abidal stating that he would like to retire at Barça, hence he just might see his contact through and retire next summer, if he won't renew.

Fontás is not an LB and never will be one. Whereas Muniesa's development has been stalled by series of injuries he has suffered over the past two years.

E

estranged

Yea but look at his recent performances, he performed like a champ, not a 32 year old who is battled cancer, for that reason i would love him to stay on but then we have to respect his personal decision, lets remember that we can't be sure if that surgery put a complete end to his cancer. Either way I hope he is fine and decides to sign.

DucdeOrléans

Summer 2012, as far as I know.

I also remember Abidal stating that he would like to retire at Barça, hence he just might see his contact through and retire next summer, if he won't renew.

Fontás is not an LB and never will be one. Whereas Muniesa's development has been stalled by series of injuries he has suffered over the past two years.

Thought it was 2013. I remember that as well, but doubt that we would quit already next season.

I know that Fontás is far from being a natural left back, but my point was that he as Abidal CAN play those two positions just as Muniesa. (and Sakho)

My guess is that Pep is looking after a replacement that can play those two positions.(which would be ideal). It is just very difficult to find a player of Abidal's quality, technique, passing game and ability to perform nearly just as good as a left back and a central defender.

DucdeOrléans

Yea but look at his recent performances, he performed like a champ, not a 32 year old who is battled cancer, for that reason i would love him to stay on but then we have to respect his personal decision, lets remember that we can't be sure if that surgery put a complete end to his cancer. Either way I hope he is fine and decides to sign.

We agree, estranged.

But we can't hide from the fact that there are a lot of uncertaincies concerning Abidal. How will he perform after his cancer during a whole season? Will his age finally catch him next season etc. I heard a while ago that he wanted a contract extension until 2015 which would be too much of a gamble. I also doubt that his wages are low. Put hopefully a compromise can be found as he is a great, great player and guy first of all.

Home of Barca Fans