Eric Abidal

V

Valon

I saw some bad comments on Abidal`s display tonight but I don`t agree. He had an offensive Maicon to deal with and to cover for Henry. All in all, I`m happy with his performance

Yeah I agree he didn't let Milito do a thing when he went that way and also kept Maicon busy. Good performance by him in my book.

gimmick

I have to applaud Abidal for his start to the season. He is looking very solid defensively, which is foremost in my opinion. As mentioned on the game last night, perhaps he wishes to step up his game as he missed both Finals at the end of last season.

B

beautifulgame

Abidal is a top LB. He is and always was better than Evra-who doesn't even compare.

That is for all those that have been promoting Evra the last couple years.

Abidal is much smarter and he can actually defend. When Evra is on the field I have no idea what he might do, (erratic defensively) which is a bad feeling to have about a player. Also, Abidal is incredibly athletic (I've yet to see someone match him for pace), his speed and strength allow him to catch many mistakes we make defensively before it is too late. He does get beat from a static position at times on the corners of the box which can really hurt us but he has improved on that somewhat. All in all, Abidal is the business at left back, in my opinion.

beef-supreme

Abidal is a top LB. He is and always was better than Evra-who doesn't even compare.

Abidal is much smarter and he can actually defend. When Evra is on the field I have no idea what he might do, (erratic defensively) which is a bad feeling to have about a player. Also, Abidal is incredibly athletic (I've yet to see someone match him for pace), his speed and strength allow him to catch many mistakes we make defensively before it is too late. He does get beat from a static position at times on the corners of the box which can really hurt us but he has improved on that somewhat. All in all, Abidal is the business at left back, in my opinion.

I agree about Abidal's intelligence and speed. However I also think that he is by far the least skilled player in the Barcelona first team squad, and you can't rely on him for anything more than running, the 80% good tackle, and the clearance. But he's also very mistake-prone (hence the frequent cards) and as long as he doesn't have to pass, cross, dribble, he's fine. So imo he is not a top LB.

BUT

That's by sort of general standards. For Barca criteria, however, he's perfect. Because all he does is run, tackle and clear. And that's all we need at LB for most matches. On the right we have Alves who plays as a RW, and we would be so vulnerable if nobody did the dirty business on the left. They can attack down the right but hte whole 3-man defense will just shift over and do the clearing. We wouldn't want a skilled Abidal staying in the attacking half, leaving the back 2 exposed. And we wouldn't want him to be skilled because if he were he wouldn't resort to punting the ball. Which actually relieves a lot of pressure off the defense and the team as a whole. So for Barca he's a top LB.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with most points, Peter. Having said that I don`t really remember Barca having a quality LB for the past 15 years.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

you're out of your mind.

better than evra? good god, he's barely better than clichy!

a full-back who cannot do simple things such as defend a winger one-on-one, or close the space on the flanks, or hold an offside line with any degree of competancy, is NOT a good defender. all abidal can do is use his athleticism to run back on the cover and make last-ditch tackles. it's a useful skill but that's ALL he can do. even last night you think he's having a solid game and then he starts giving the ball away and making retarded passes and failing to tackle anyone.

he's shit. evra is fucking majestic. there's not even a comparison.

jairzinho

Hmm that's a good point, Van Bronckhorst was alright...

Sergi was not that bad either

sergi+barjuan+barcelona.jpg

J

Jordzibob

you're out of your mind.

better than evra? good god, he's barely better than clichy!

a full-back who cannot do simple things such as defend a winger one-on-one, or close the space on the flanks, or hold an offside line with any degree of competancy, is NOT a good defender. all abidal can do is use his athleticism to run back on the cover and make last-ditch tackles. it's a useful skill but that's ALL he can do. even last night you think he's having a solid game and then he starts giving the ball away and making retarded passes and failing to tackle anyone.

he's shit. evra is fucking majestic. there's not even a comparison.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

.......Mina's coming for you :lol::lol:

MinaFCB

:mad1::thumbsdown:

well i think he did a nice job against racing,actually this season he's been doing pretty nice job,no big flops...so dont exaggerate and base ur opinion on what he showed last season

Home of Barca Fans