Eric Abidal

Kerrybai

If I ever meet Iniesta and am coherent enough to talk to him, I shall explain because it bugs the feck out of me.

I'm sorry to weigh in on this so late but the V sign with the palm inside is only known as an insult in the UK, Ireland, NZ and Aus. I think the US have made this version popular and there is no way Iniesta etc would know, in fact I'm surprised you know about it.

Really glad to see Abi back but do we have any info on his return, as in will he have just a few cameo appearances and retire or can he realistically make a full come back to football?

Stric

"My goal was to return. Now it is done and I try to look a little beyond this..."

"Abidal added that he remains a long way short of full fitness and unable at present to play 90 minutes, with an hour in a friendly against Istres the most he has managed to date. "I hope to be part of the group until the end of the season," he added. "Whether on the bench or in the stands, it is not too important. The most important thing is to feel good and enjoy all these moments with my team-mates.""

“football is my life and I didn’t want to finish without playing again. I didn’t want to leave like that and I fought to come back”

"“the objective was that I could finish my career playing and if I feel okay and can continue for a year or two more, then I will”."

This is just my personal interpretation, but I see subtle signs of retirement in these quotes. I don't he'll ever, especially not soon, make a full comeback in terms of fitness, as in playing a 90 minute match on top level football. I think his goal was to come back, prove it to himself and the world that he can make it, and then hangs his boots with great dignity and achievement. I'm not saying he won't try to go further, I just wouldn't be surprised if he decided to call it a day this summer. And in the meantime, he'll probably get a few minutes now and then, like against Mallorca. I don't think he can do much more in the next few months.

loozy

I'm sorry to weigh in on this so late but the V sign with the palm inside is only known as an insult in the UK, Ireland, NZ and Aus. I think the US have made this version popular and there is no way Iniesta etc would know, in fact I'm surprised you know about it.

I have never not known about this :) Was raised bilingually with all the cultural and societal perks as well. However, it does bug whenever I see people doing it even if I am aware of them very likely not knowing about it. Plus, it would give me a reason to talk to Iniesta :D

Think I read on Marca that he can see himself play a couple more years if health allows it.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I wanted a new shirt for a long while now and I couldn't decide on whom to pick for on the back. Fabregas my favourite, Messi the best of all, Iniesta the magician or Xavi since he won't be playing football for 10 more years? Last one so I can get a shirt in which he actually played.

But then I realized, after having to deal with cancer within my family which left quite a mental scar, Abidal is the obvious choice. I will get one with his name on the back. A true hero :wub:

Get one with Abidal and then the Senyera (red and yellow) shirt with Xavi :)

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I have never not known about this :) Was raised bilingually with all the cultural and societal perks as well. However, it does bug whenever I see people doing it even if I am aware of them very likely not knowing about it. Plus, it would give me a reason to talk to Iniesta :D

Think I read on Marca that he can see himself play a couple more years if health allows it.

It can also mean '2' such as in '2 beers please'

"My goal was to return. Now it is done and I try to look a little beyond this..."

"Abidal added that he remains a long way short of full fitness and unable at present to play 90 minutes, with an hour in a friendly against Istres the most he has managed to date. "I hope to be part of the group until the end of the season," he added. "Whether on the bench or in the stands, it is not too important. The most important thing is to feel good and enjoy all these moments with my team-mates.""

“football is my life and I didn’t want to finish without playing again. I didn’t want to leave like that and I fought to come back”

"“the objective was that I could finish my career playing and if I feel okay and can continue for a year or two more, then I will”."

This is just my personal interpretation, but I see subtle signs of retirement in these quotes. I don't he'll ever, especially not soon, make a full comeback in terms of fitness, as in playing a 90 minute match on top level football. I think his goal was to come back, prove it to himself and the world that he can make it, and then hangs his boots with great dignity and achievement. I'm not saying he won't try to go further, I just wouldn't be surprised if he decided to call it a day this summer. And in the meantime, he'll probably get a few minutes now and then, like against Mallorca. I don't think he can do much more in the next few months.

I can see him playing fairly regularly next season, maybe even playing in a few big games, before retiring. I do think he will retire pretty soon though. If I were to guess, I'd say he's gonna play next season and then call it a day.

khorne

I can see him playing fairly regularly next season, maybe even playing in a few big games, before retiring. I do think he will retire pretty soon though. If I were to guess, I'd say he's gonna play next season and then call it a day.

Agreed, it's not only playing every game or retiring, he could help the new defenders to better adjust to the barca way, especially since he had to do it himself. And i'd say the motivational effect of having abi on the bench must be enormous for all the "lazy" players in our squad.

Btw, on the inverted v sign, the story that i've heard about it, is that the english used to cut of the two fingers of enemy prisoners, so that they couldn't use a bow again. So they used the v sign to taunt their enemies, basically saying "you know what we're gonna hack off you? these two here!"
I cannot say for sure if that's true though.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Felt so nice when I came to know he's back... Such a hero :worthy: His survival story will always give hope

Last edited:

Stric

This seems highly unlikely to me, but I'll throw it out there, for the sake of discussion.

Barcastuff
Eric Abidal rejected in January an offer to join PSG because he didn't want to compete with his former Barcelona teammate Maxwell. [equipe]

CatalinR10

BHmEpLdCEAAZMkG.jpg:large

Home of Barca Fans