Euro 2024

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mc_lovin

Same as Spain with the exception of their golden generation.

Both have 1 WC..........

Spain always flatter to deceive.......
No one hypes Spain though.

Re Musiala and Wirtz: when the big games arrive I rate true wingers higher than playmaking ones or #10s even if less talented. Hence why Yamal and Nico aren’t worse for me, even if one is still absurdly young and the other less talented.

Maradona37

The history of Spain is definitely underwhelming, whenever they didn't have their best generation ever.
I believe they only made the semi finals of the World Cup once before 2010. And that was in 1950 when the 'final four' was a mini-league (when Uruguay shocked Brazil in the Maracana with Ghiggia's winner, and Brazil only needed a draw to win their first World Cup).

KingLeo10

Spain still has more pedigree than England in international tournaments.

Germany - Brazil
Argentina - Italy
France
Spain - Netherlands (3 WC finals, 1 Euro) - Uruguay
England
Portugal

Maradona37

Since France started Clarefontaine and rejuvenated their youth set up they've had so much success. They were good before that, but they have won the Euros once since then and been to four of the last seven World Cup Finals. The immigration factor has helped them too.

Bear in mind they didn't even qualify for Italia 90 or USA 94.

Maradona37

Uruguay, and to a lesser extent, Portugal, really have excellent tournament history for such small countries.
Before the World Cup was created, Uruguay were the world superpower. They had won the Olympics in 1924 and 1928 I believe (one of them at least) and that was seen as a de facto World Cup. They and Croatia are probably the best football nations in the world relative to population size. They're not mega rich countries either so it's even more impressive given population, a strong football culture, and wealth are the biggest indicators of international success.

mc_lovin

Difference between Spain and England is that the former only gets rated on merit. See how the opinions changed when Spain played very well in the first two matches... they have a neat little squad, hence why I called them to easily win against Croatia and Italy.

2 to 4 years down the line they could have a truly brilliant squad.

Maradona37

Anyway, as a Scot I am expecting Hungary to win tonight. It's the way that Scotland do things. Either that or win and become the first third-place team to be eliminated with four points (though I fully expect a win will be enough as I think plenty of the stuff we need will go right in the other groups).

I was wrong about the Swiss game though. My predictions for Scotland so far have been 3-0 Germany and 2-0 Switzerland, so hopefully they can beat Hungary at 8.

Morten

So far the best teams are Germany Spain and then Portugal
All the rest have been from woeful to meh
France certainly do not deserve the easy bracket to the final

France plays dull football, but unlike England, i can see them knocking out anybody they meet.
Solid defensive team, can do some damage on the counter, especially if Mbappe can play at a reasonable level in the knock-outs.

France doesn't feel quite as planless as England, boring as they may be.

Maradona37

France plays dull football, but unlike England, i can see them knocking out anybody they meet.
Solid defensive team, can do some damage on the counter, especially if Mbappe can play at a reasonable level in the knock-outs.

France doesn't feel quite as planless as England, boring as they may be.
They have a strong defence, energetic options in midfield with Kante, Tchouameni and Camavinga, and a wildcard in Mbappe. And if they are struggling, they can introduce Giroud as a target man. At international level those go a long way.

Home of Barca Fans