FC Barcelona B (Barça Atlètic)

Messi983

Out of curiosity, who would you guys want as Lucho's successor in case he leaves next summer? We all know that Xavi will be our coach one day, but not this soon. Oscar Garcia would be an obvious candidate due to his history in the club and his Cruyff affiliation, but then again this could of course prevent him from getting the offer (or even accepting it) because of his history with the Rosell/Barto administration.

So, who else?

Eusebio. :neymar: Or Mourinho. He could be unemployed this time next year if he'll continue like he started with United. :lol:

Seriously, from proven coaches I think Valverde could be a good option. We were already interested in him in the past. Maybe Marcelino too but he has no previous connections to the club and I doubt we'll go that way again after what happened with Tata, though Marcelino is much better coach and already proven in La Liga. What I hope will happen is Lucho to stay for 2-3 more seasons and then Xavi replace him and become our Ferguson but I know it's impossible any coach will stay here for 26 years no matter how successfull he'll be so I'd be happy if Xavi stays for around 10 years. :)

F4THi

Banned
Seriously speaking though, I think Lucho is proof of any manager being able to do the job well if he knows what he's doing (I don't believe Lucho to be that great and doubt he has anywhere near this success elsewhere)

Yeah Tata Martino says Hi

Last edited:

Trickykid

Oh no, I'm definitely not taking credit away from him, I think he's doing a great job, despite the (many) decisions he makes that I disagree with. I just think that, looking at his track record prior to coming here, he's proof that any manager can come in and do a good job, if they have a clear idea of what they want. Tito was basically just Pep with a lot less of everything that made Pep great and Tata was... who even knows. If we get a manager who comes in who solidifies his style and who he is onto the squad and works with our players (Including La Masia), then I don't care who it is.

Fair enough.
I'd still like to think that there's more to being a successful manager at Barça than just having clear ideas of what you want, though.

Trickykid

Eusebio. :neymar: Or Mourinho. He could be unemployed this time next year if he'll continue like he started with United. :lol:

Seriously, from proven coaches I think Valverde could be a good option. We were already interested in him in the past. Maybe Marcelino too but he has no previous connections to the club and I doubt we'll go that way again after what happened with Tata, though Marcelino is much better coach and already proven in La Liga. What I hope will happen is Lucho to stay for 2-3 more seasons and then Xavi replace him and become our Ferguson but I know it's impossible any coach will stay here for 26 years no matter how successfull he'll be so I'd be happy if Xavi stays for around 10 years. :)

Yeah, my ideal scenario would probably also be that Lucho keeps going until Xavi is ready. Xavi better be completely damn ready, though, as I couldn't bare watch him fail and perhaps even ruin his relations with our club.

F

Flavia

Yeah, my ideal scenario would probably also be that Lucho keeps going until Xavi is ready. Xavi better be completely damn ready, though, as I couldn't bare watch him fail and perhaps even ruin his relations with our club.

It will take a while before Xavi is ready. At least 5 years, imo. I don't think Lucho will last that long.

Trickykid

He's contracted until next summer (unless he extends) at Qatar. If all goes well he could be back by then, and if not take over the B team immediately, then by the summer of 2018. A few years there could do the trick. So, in wonderland, with no hiccups or bumps in the road, he could coach the a team in the summer of 2020.

Too optimistic?

navidjaan

Out of curiosity, who would you guys want as Lucho's successor in case he leaves next summer? We all know that Xavi will be our coach one day, but not this soon. Oscar Garcia would be an obvious candidate due to his history in the club and his Cruyff affiliation, but then again this could of course prevent him from getting the offer (or even accepting it) because of his history with the Rosell/Barto administration.

So, who else?

Oscar Garcia or Thomas Tuchel. I prefer O.G., although Tuchel also clearly has the right ideas to run our team with. Regarding Xavi: will definitely take 3-5 years before he's ready for Barça B and then maybe 1-2 years before the first team, if he's succesful, that is.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's contracted until next summer (unless he extends) at Qatar. If all goes well he could be back by then, and if not take over the B team immediately, then by the summer of 2018. A few years there could do the trick. So, in wonderland, with no hiccups or bumps in the road, he could coach the a team in the summer of 2020.

Too optimistic?

I think he's going to manage a team in Qatar first actually. Or get his coaching license? Something like that of course.

So 2018 might be too soon, but it of course depends on him.

Oscar Garcia doing a great job with Salzburg. And the one who deserved the Barça B job years back. On merit.

But Rosell and co. decided to appoint Eusebio instead so might be bad blood as you said, but I'm inclined to believe Bartomeu is learning from some of his mistakes and is willing to leave the politics aside for the club's benefit.

Tuchel a very interesting choice.

Although don't rule Valverde out. The club might decide to go for the safe or easier option.

Last edited:

God Serena

Everyone is discussing who they'd want the manager to be, but what about the manager himself? Would you prefer he be more like Lucho in most aspects, or would you prefer to go back to a Pep mentality, so to speak? Any particular styles of play you'd like to see? Any greater or reduced reliance on La Masia? How about the types of La Masia players given opportunities in general?

navidjaan

I think he's going to manage a team in Qatar first actually. Or get his coaching license? Something like that of course.

Oscar Garcia doing a great job with Salzburg. And the one who deserved the Barça B job years back. On merit.

But Rosell and co. decided to appoint Eusebio instead so might be bad blood as you said, but I'm inclined to believe Bartomeu is learning from some of his mistakes and is willing to leave the politics aside for the club's benefit.

This. If Bartomeu appoints a Cruyffista and he becomes succesful, he and his people will be above untouchable in the future. Of course they'd want that to happen.

navidjaan

I think the question would be who Robert would want the most, and given him and Luis Enrique (assumably) preferring at least some experience, I think Tuchel or Valverde will be favorites for the job, with Oscar Garcia as the underdog.

Messi983

Tuchel a very interesting choice.

Although don't rule Valverde out. The club might decide to go for the safe or easier option.

Tuechel is indeed very interesting, but I don't think he's a realistic option. I believe he's commited to Dortmund project and will stay there for the next few years. At least I hope so because they have a talented young team that I enjoy to watch so hopefully they can keep Tuechel and their best players too see how good they can be in 2-3 years. Although I've heard some rumours that Arsenal is considering him as possible Wenger successor next season but at the end Wenger will most likely stay. But as only 43 years old Tuechel is clearly worth to keep an eye on as our future manager even if in 8-10 years from now. He'll probably be in better club than Dortmund by then and harder to reach but you never know. Things change quickly in football. I think it's possible that RM will go hardly after him (hopefully they won't get him though) when they'll find out that Zidane is not their Pep.

I think Xavi is already doing coaching course in Qatar so he can become a coach immediately after finishing his playing career. Starting at Barça B is probably the best for him but I also wouldn't mind him joining Lucho's coaching staff.

Everyone is discussing who they'd want the manager to be, but what about the manager himself? Would you prefer he be more like Lucho in most aspects, or would you prefer to go back to a Pep mentality, so to speak? Any particular styles of play you'd like to see? Any greater or reduced reliance on La Masia? How about the types of La Masia players given opportunities in general?

Interesting questions. I loved Pep's tiki-taka but I also like a bit more direct style that we play now because I think we are more unpredictable than during Pep's era. Of course that could be more on MSN individual brilliance (and their abilities to play team football as good as they do instead of focusing on their own statistics - I guess we should give Lucho some credit for that too) than Lucho but I think he made the right decision to move our focus from midfield dominance (it's obvious team can't be as dominant without Xavi) to attacking power of MSN.

Whoever our next manager will be I hope he'll find the right mix between both styles. There is no doubt that Xavi's main philosophy will be close to Pep's but he should keep some good things that Lucho implemented. We are more dangerous in counter attacks now and we also improved in set pieces (although I'd like us to score more goals from corners like we did in Lucho's first season). If there will be another manager between Lucho and Xavi I hope he'll have a similar coaching style. He'll probably have at least some playing and/or coaching experience from Barça to know what it's expected of him but even if he'd be an "outsider" like Tuechel I believe he'd find the right balance between possession and direct fooball.

I would like to see more La Masia players promoted to first team but they need to deserve to be there. We have some talented kids that should get an opportunity and I think they will but it's totally on them if /how they'll use it. I want us to win as much as possible during next 3-5 years before Messi will eventually decline because we don't know what will happen after that. Some trophyless seasons could easily await us then so I don't think we should waste too much time and wait on some youngsters that might become good but could also just as easily never be good enough for us.

We've bought young talent this summer that could stay here as future starters (especially Umtiti and Gomes from what we've seen so far) or at least reliable backups (Digne, Denis, possibly Paco and Cillessen) but there are still older players that will need to be replaced (Mathieu, Masche, Arda, Rakitić, Suarez, I could also see Iniesta retire in his mid-thirties; and other younger ones like Rafinha who might not be considered good enough to stay longterm) over the next 2-4 years so there should be some open spots on the team for players like Tarin, Marlon, Alena, Samper, Lee, Mujica,... Yes, we'll bring outside talent to replace some of the above mentioned players when they leave but if our kids will continue to develop good they could convince Lucho or whoever next manager will be they are good enough to stay here (like Roberto had) as squad players for now and possibly something more in the future or if it's better for them to leave on loan/buy-back or even permanently.

Home of Barca Fans