Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc_lovin

Eh, Frenkie's movement is definitely a bit awkward positionally. I don't think it's a big deal though as he's easily our best player. But no need to pretend he's flawless.

That being said Roemu is supposed to structure the team as a fix point and he's terrible. Zubimendi would be brilliant next to Frenkie imo.

JamDav1982

No player is flawless and no one has claimed they are.

Positonally FDJ is very strong and is intelligent with it particularly in this role.

He and Gundogan be top two on that then Pedri with Gavi miles behind.

JamDav1982

Defensively he wins the ball back a lot and covers the space left by others very well.

Frightening that folk think Gavi strong defensively and FDJ weak when he is far ahead on that also.

mc_lovin

Defensively he wins the ball back a lot and covers the space left by others very well.

Frightening that folk think Gavi strong defensively and FDJ weak when he is far ahead on that also.
I am talking about covering zones in a defensive shape. Valverde, Tchouameni for example are much better at that (even guys like Kroos).

Gavi is playing a completely different role, so nothing to compare really.

ajnotkeith

Eh, Frenkie's movement is definitely a bit awkward positionally. I don't think it's a big deal though as he's easily our best player. But no need to pretend he's flawless.

That being said Roemu is supposed to structure the team as a fix point and he's terrible. Zubimendi would be brilliant next to Frenkie imo.

The problem is likes of Gavi and Romeu are far far worse positionally yet Frenkie is identified as the main issue holding the midfield play back.

Just sounds like a lack of knowledge/agenda from the guy posting it.

JamDav1982

I am talking about covering zones in a defensive shape. Valverde, Tchouameni for example are much better at that (even guys like Kroos).

Gavi is playing a completely different role, so nothing to compare really.

Dont agree at all.

Valverde is not a defensive mid at all he is box to box when in middle and played his best football at RW.

Gets complete run around v Barca last few games v Barca and looks defensively all over shop.

Thcouameni is a sitting DM so maybe but not the others or Kroos.

Those mids have been chaisng shadows v Barca and in Europe for long enough.

Kroos is not better defnsively than FDJ.

mc_lovin

The problem is likes of Gavi and Romeu are far far worse positionally yet Frenkie is identified as the main issue holding the midfield play back.

Just sounds like a lack of knowledge/agenda from the guy posting it.
Gavi has a pass in his current role.

Romeu sucks, no questions asked. But I really don’t like how Frenkie defends. He’s a bit bodiless if that makes sense.

JamDav1982

Romeu sucks, no questions asked. But I really don’t like how Frenkie defends. He’s a bit bodiless if that makes sense.

No he doesnt have a pass and he has been poor positionally when played deeper.... one of major reasons he lost his place there for Barca and rarely used deeper for Spain.

Chases anything that moves and struggles to move to get on the ball in any decent areas. Then doesnt have much of a final pass or range when gets it often enough.

ajnotkeith

I agree he isnt as proactive as he could be defensively and seen some clips of goals where he fails to pick up runners, but in general if we're talking positional intelligence I don't believe he is an issue.

Defense would probably be his biggest weakness but mainly because he is that good offensively.

Any top team should have him in their midfield.

JamDav1982

I dont think there is a DM in the world playing for Barca that would not have moments where they failed to track runners.

Rodri included and he is the best of the lot and had same arguments against him until Pep got more men round him.

mc_lovin

I agree he isnt as proactive as he could be defensively and seen some clips of goals where he fails to pick up runners, but in general if we're talking positional intelligence I don't believe he is an issue.

Defense would probably be his biggest weakness but mainly because he is that good offensively.

Any top team should have him in their midfield.
I actually think he’s too proactive defensively. He’s not good at holding his ground compared to even guys like Kroos. If a player runs at one of these two I think Kroos is more likely to stop him.

JamDav1982

I actually think he’s too proactive defensively. He’s not good at holding his ground compared to even guys like Kroos. If a player runs at one of these two I think Kroos is more likely to stop him.

Absolutely no chance.

FDJ tracks runners much better than Kroos.

Quick check... last season Kroos was dribbled past more than twice as often as FDJ in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans