Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donatello

Whenever I have watched the match (btw on different channels) against each team this season. Every single time the commentator said the same, thay this is not the tiki taka barca that we are used to know, & that this team is very conservative.

FC433

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imagine coming to Barca to try playing some beautiful tiki taka and this is what you get instead <a href="https://t.co/n84ZbRVcqF">pic.twitter.com/n84ZbRVcqF</a></p>— bulletin (@TrapaveIIi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TrapaveIIi/status/1159501136535048192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sad. Players refuse to move off the ball. FDJ is going to be my favourite player pretty soon.

serghei

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imagine coming to Barca to try playing some beautiful tiki taka and this is what you get instead <a href="https://t.co/n84ZbRVcqF">pic.twitter.com/n84ZbRVcqF</a></p>— bulletin (@TrapaveIIi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TrapaveIIi/status/1159501136535048192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sad. Players refuse to move off the ball. FDJ is going to be my favourite player pretty soon.

It's more down to the dumb manager we have than the players tbh.

FC433

^
I 100% agree. A number of our current players would play much much better under a different manager. I think our current squad is very good.

serghei

Also, the style of Valverde is not wrong per se. It is similar to Van Gaal at United. You can have lower off the ball movement and the ball will still progress up the field. It's just in worse areas and it takes longer.

Off the ball movement is basically an offensive measure to loosen markings and progress the ball faster especially in central areas. It forces the opponent to move more, and thus make more errors in the compactness.

There is a security risk with off the ball movement in that when the ball is lost, the defensive organization is not as clear. Hence why risk-averse manager prefer this type of possession play which is slow, rather sterile and doesn't generate many chances.

It's a trade-off. We want a more fluid system, at the cost of being more exposed defensively, because our strenght is the offense. And it has been like that for a lot of time. It is wrong to build a Barcelona team as if the defense is the key area, like Atletico are doing. Even they seem to want to take a more offensive approach.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

And Messi isn't getting younger, but he also isn't going anywhere for the next 4-5 years, hence the inclusion. And tbh, if the rest 9 players press hard to win the ball and run enough, a walking Messi won't be a problem at all.

i am.pretty sure klopp or pep would love to have messi and they would let him manage himself like 95% of the time and be on every other players butts to do more work. we also have a plenty big roster of largely interchangable quality players for more rotations between and within matches to be riding such players behinds and the balls to change them up even if they are not happy. klopp did this with gini for instance despite him being their best overall midfielder last year--and damn he hurt us when he git back in, he was rested and motivated.

we should demand the same of busi/raki/fdj/arthur/vidal. use that quality depth.

Last edited:

Dado

if he does not bow down to the elders and kiss their ring, he will be off to Everton next summer.

Neeraj

Also, the style of Valverde is not wrong per se. It is similar to Van Gaal at United. You can have lower off the ball movement and the ball will still progress up the field. It's just in worse areas and it takes longer.

Off the ball movement is basically an offensive measure to loosen markings and progress the ball faster especially in central areas. It forces the opponent to move more, and thus make more errors in the compactness.

There is a security risk with off the ball movement in that when the ball is lost, the defensive organization is not as clear. Hence why risk-averse manager prefer this type of possession play which is slow, rather sterile and doesn't generate many chances.

It's a trade-off. We want a more fluid system, at the cost of being more exposed defensively, because our strenght is the offense. And it has been like that for a lot of time. It is wrong to build a Barcelona team as if the defense is the key area, like Atletico are doing. Even they seem to want to take a more offensive approach.

I disagree. This implies that Valverde has a plan, and that we just don't like it. If what you said about his tactics are true, we shouldn't look like such amateurs in defense. ANY time we lose the ball unexpectedly/have a turnover, we look absolutely shambolic at the back, with the defense split between the two flanks and the full backs and midfielders nowhere to be seen. If you're going to have a system that supposedly reduces risk, at least achieve the basic defensive solidity that your system supposedly purports. Valverde literally has no clue of what he's doing with this squad, no clue. That's why he keeps playing the big names and superstars - he has no weight in the dressing room, he's a puppet with ZERO ideas of what type of game we should play.

One look at a defensive team like Atletico or even Juventus, and you see that the mainstay of their game is NOT possession. What we have is the disastrous mix of sterile possession (which Valverde in his thick skull thinks - 'we need to do this because we are Barcelona'), players all coming high up the pitch as if anybody is playing 1-2's or quick balls, no defensive shape, and no plans for transition or offensive play.

If he did indeed play a 'system', even one which I didn't like, I would have a drop of respect for this pathetic guy.

Last edited:

AjaxAmsterdam

Heh I know there is a big anti rakitic agenda on here but the complaining ,thats just Frenkie. He does it as Dutch team and did it at Ajax aswell, can come across as a bit whiney but Im guessing hes just a perfectionist.

serghei

I disagree. This implies that Valverde has a plan, and that we just don't like it. If what you said about his tactics are true, we shouldn't look like such amateurs in defense. ANY time we lose the ball unexpectedly/have a turnover, we look absolutely shambolic at the back, with the defense split between the two flanks and the full backs and midfielders nowhere to be seen. If you're going to have a system that supposedly reduces risk, at least achieve the basic defensive solidity that your system supposedly purports. Valverde literally has no clue of what he's doing with this squad, no clue. That's why he keeps playing the big names and superstars - he has no weight in the dressing room, he's a puppet with ZERO ideas of what type of game we should play.

One look at a defensive team like Atletico or even Juventus, and you see that the mainstay of their game is NOT possession. What we have is the disastrous mix of sterile possession (which Valverde in his thick skull thinks - 'we need to do this because we are Barcelona'), players all coming high up the pitch as if anybody is playing 1-2's or quick balls, no defensive shape, and no plans for transition or offensive play.

If he did indeed play a 'system', even one which I didn't like, I would have a drop of respect for this pathetic guy.

He has a style. It's not special in any way, but you can distinguish it. It's just too defensive, too conventional and too cautious (hence the cowardice) for a team like ours, which is obviously built more towards the offense. The creativity of the team is low because of this.

Valverde uses possession in a negative way. He is probably happy to see our players pass without creating danger often, because it keeps the ball away from our own half.

Last edited:

abbbs97

Barkaddicts is one of the worst Barca twitter accounts :lol: up there with Kevvwill, who thought Frenkie would be a bad fit to the team back in January and wrote a whole article about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans