Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo32

He did pretty well during that win streak earlier this year. I think he was playing more as a libero iirc. Right now he's playing more as a b2b, which doesn't suit him necessarily.

He played very well as a libero, this has been my preferred position for him for a couple of years (before Koeman tried him there)
Some said he was the greatest midfielder in the world for a few weeks this spring, mostly because he scored a couple of goals on rebounds etc I guess.

Messigician

Officially has become the latest amigo, join the club bro.

🎙 | Frenkie de Jong: "People exaggerate a lot, we are not in trouble"

Frenkie: "In the league, everything is still possible.*And we started the Champions League very badly, but nothing has been lost there either."

" I would like Koeman to stay, changing the coach fixes nothing " (earlier interview)

Frenkie: "We don't have many points less than Real Madrid and Atl?tico. And We still have thirty games to play. So nothing has been lost, at all. We started very badly in the Champions League, but we still have all the opportunities."

Frenkie: "We have a very good squad, especially when the injured players are back. Those points that we have lost so far, that is not acceptable, but people are exaggerating enormously."

serghei

107a97ca5bd4a571edcebec54a66fc32.jpg

Bobo32

He even stopped being self critical lol

Frenkie: " I'm just not the type of player to score 30 goals in a season, I don't think I'm a player you should judge by goals and assists. But it's true I have to carry the team more"

I agree on him here, but I don't remember if he was as fast to downplay himself after he was praised for scoring some goals in the beginning of the year.
He should be judged pretty harshly for his positional play and also for his attitude on the pitch lately though.

iniestaGOAT

Officially has become the latest amigo, join the club bro.

�� | Frenkie de Jong: "People exaggerate a lot, we are not in trouble"

Frenkie: "In the league, everything is still possible.*And we started the Champions League very badly, but nothing has been lost there either."

" I would like Koeman to stay, changing the coach fixes nothing " (earlier interview)

Frenkie: "We don't have many points less than Real Madrid and Atl?tico. And We still have thirty games to play. So nothing has been lost, at all. We started very badly in the Champions League, but we still have all the opportunities."

Frenkie: "We have a very good squad, especially when the injured players are back. Those points that we have lost so far, that is not acceptable, but people are exaggerating enormously."

He is right. We have a good squad. The league is still possible. Depends on how quickly koeman is sacked.

mdenci

I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that Koeman decided to play this guy - the very incarnation of our DNA and play style, the heart of midfield - as a winger against Atletico! Wtf man?? Put Frenkie on CDM with Pedri and Gavi/Puig and let him clean up defensively and build our attacks from deep offensively, is it that hard to realise this?
I know that Busi is our legend and I respect all that he has done for the club, but even he himself must realise that football has changed pace and that he should be a backup option (as were Xavi and Iniesta in their final years at the club). I just see Frenkie as an ideal CDM for our play style, or even if we decide to follow newest trends and play with a back 3 formation, he could be an excellent sweeper - good defensive ability, fair pace, ability to dribble the ball from the back line and excellent passing ability.

iniestaGOAT

I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that Koeman decided to play this guy - the very incarnation of our DNA and play style, the heart of midfield - as a winger against Atletico! Wtf man?? Put Frenkie on CDM with Pedri and Gavi/Puig and let him clean up defensively and build our attacks from deep offensively, is it that hard to realise this?
I know that Busi is our legend and I respect all that he has done for the club, but even he himself must realise that football has changed pace and that he should be a backup option (as were Xavi and Iniesta in their final years at the club). I just see Frenkie as an ideal CDM for our play style, or even if we decide to follow newest trends and play with a back 3 formation, he could be an excellent sweeper - good defensive ability, fair pace, ability to dribble the ball from the back line and excellent passing ability.

Koeman is completely lost and plays de jong wherever he wants and where the team Is struggling hoping he will come save koeman with his talents

mc_lovin

Remember when (national team coach) Koeman said that Frenkie doesn't play his best position for Barcelona? :lol: Not so high and mighty anymore.

serghei

Yeah, clueless. He even played as a striker in spells like his already famous name-twin. Let's just use our best midfielder as a jack of all trades (man played centreback, libero in a back 3, defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger, and now part-time striker, all in a span of a few months) because he can run and has stamina :facepalm:.

I don't blame him that much for performing at an average level more often than not.

Last edited:

Bobo32

He didn't really play winger though.
I don't think that particular idea was that bad, Koeman often seems to work with dream scenarios and don't work them through enough, he seldom gets it all to work together, but I can see the dream scenario here. He is closer to put pressure on the defence, and to connect with Depay and catch crosses, he should also be an option between the lines a lot more, the thought was probably that Busquets and Nico would be able to serve a lot of balls to him and Gavi in the half spaces and that Coutinho too would be able to combine from there.

Frenkie is not at all an incarnation of Barcelonas DNA, every canterano midfielder and most defenders and attackers have a better understanding of the basics than he does - when to move towards to or away from the ball, when and where to take the ball at all times etc.
Frenkie of course have many advantages, but at the centre of the pitch he is a bit ineffective and unelegant, compared to those who spent years at la masia.
I remember one of his first games for Barcelona, when he was put as an interior, but by himself almost played like a winger, getting out towards the touchline in order to get the ball, it was a bit telling to me.

My own dream scenario is him playing CB, I think he could be great there but he has a few weaknesses that he needs to work on then and I think he'd need to focus for a while to get rid of these habits.

jamrock

Van gaal: sometimes I think "Frenkie, you run too much."

Yep like I said he does a lot of "busy" work that isn't at all effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans