Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

I think he should play DM for us as fast as possible, because I don't see him as a good AM. If he clicks at DM he's gonna be a valuable player for us, but if he's not a good DM, we should prepare a sale. It's between DM instead of Busi vs sell to get money to invest in other positions.

I just don't trust his attacking instincts at all. Nearly always makes the wrong decision.

cro-man

De jong is and always was a decent player but thats it. People who still think he is world class are delusional. In a certain system you can make him look better than he is but i feel you will never see a world class player. Still young but so far my opionen about him didnt change.

He has no real strenghts he can play almost everwhere from defense to midfield but thats it. His final ball his decision making his technique and speed is average at best good. If you think he will ever be able to carry our midfield than you will be disappointed.

A player who is worldclass would stand out of our current team but he is just one of many underperformers. We dont have world class players the last one was messi.

mc_lovin

A player who is worldclass would stand out of our current team but he is just one of many underperformers.

I fundamentally disagree with that. Modern football requires 11 good to great players, who are also good fits, for anyone to have the chance to stand out. With our current team it's virtually impossible, and in particular for midfielders.

I would love to see prime Iniesta in this team.

clemente

All of the people saying he isn't worldclass are the same ones that would call board stupid after 2 years when he is playing like KDB under Pep

cro-man

I fundamentally disagree with that. Modern football requires 11 good to great players, who are also good fits, for anyone to have the chance to stand out. With our current team it's virtually impossible, and in particular for midfielders.

To even mention of the best players ever existed here is a crime. Iniesta was one of the reasons barca and spain won so much. Who knows if we and spain would have won anything without him. He was the messi of midfielders. De jong is a just one of many overhyped players who never will reach the hype. I think his career here will be short. He is too expensive for an average player.

mc_lovin

To even mention of the best players ever existed here is a crime. Iniesta was one of the reasons barca and spain won so much. Who knows if we and spain would have won anything without him. He was the messi of midfielders. De jong is a just one of many overhyped players who never will reach the hype. I think his career here will be short. He is too expensive for an average player.

Iniesta is my favorite player of all time, but he never had to work with the train wreck of a forward line Frenkie had to deal with all season.

Frenkie is brilliant in a deep build-up role, at least he was for Ajax, and it's a shame we never played him there. I agree that he's not the easiest player to fit in our 433, but what's the alternative? If I could swap one midfielder on the planet with Frenkie I would still have a hard time to improve the team.

serghei

Prime Iniesta would stand out in a way in which De Jong just can't. The difference in quality is too big imo. But then Iniesta isn't just world-class. Iniesta is a tier above, so when you refer to world-class players don't pick Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc. These are higher level than "just" world class.

Someone like De Bruyne for example would look fairly average at this Barca. So would any of Madrid's midfielders, and even someone like Verratti. In fact, from the current crop of top midfielders, don't think there's one that would be able to elevate the overall output of this Barca by much. We simply miss too many pieces atm, so it's basically a bottleneck effect, where the team would just capitulate at 3-4 positions occupied by really washed-up players.

You need 4 transfers that will work very well before you can really hold players like De Jong responsible for his performances. Ferran Torres is gonna be one, chances are good if he comes. Cavani probably 2. You need one fast winger as well. That's 3. Plus a top CB. 4 players to change the face of the team.

How are we gonna sign these 4 without selling De Jong :lol:... no clue.

Last edited:

JohnN

The more is see him play the more evident.it becomes he is destined for a dm or libero position. He has no attacking instinct, no vision for passing, no quick passing. Some good runs in the final third is all the contribution in attack.
The team is going through a bad to e though so everyone looks pretty wasted.

SmilerBam

Prime Iniesta would stand out in a way in which De Jong just can't. The difference in quality is too big imo. But then Iniesta isn't just world-class. Iniesta is a tier above, so when you refer to world-class players don't pick Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc. These are higher level than "just" world class.

Someone like De Bruyne for example would look fairly average at this Barca. So would any of Madrid's midfielders, and even someone like Verratti. In fact, from the current crop of top midfielders, don't think there's one that would be able to elevate the overall output of this Barca by much. We simply miss too many pieces atm, so it's basically a bottleneck effect, where the team would just capitulate at 3-4 positions occupied by really washed-up players.

You need 4 transfers that will work very well before you can really hold players like De Jong responsible for his performances. Ferran Torres is gonna be one, chances are good if he comes. Cavani probably 2. You need one fast winger as well. That's 3. Plus a top CB. 4 players to change the face of the team.

How are we gonna sign these 4 without selling De Jong :lol:... no clue.

Modric at 35 is miles better than any of our midfielders. Kroos is better too.

Barcilliant

70 - 80 million and he should be sold asap. Also sell Depay, Dest, Mingueza, Garcia and Ter Stegen.
We need to build back better. Slogan stolen from the Bastard WEF.

BBZ8800

This wasnt de jong vs juventus, this was juventus vs de jong :worthy:

When you analyze the video, that is the same Frenkie from Barca:
1. gets the ball
2. dwells on it for 5-10 seconds
3. making a run with the ball only to hit into a wall of defenders
4. passing the ball in the backline between CBs and making an occassional forward pass to a player on a flank
5. doing absolutely nothing in the attacking third

There is not too much difference between this Frenkie and Barca's Frenkie.
1. except that he is playing in a more attacking role for us
2. and that Ajax' team was better so everything looks nicer on a video because their whole team is moving and make actions which make sense

All in all: the same system player who is not a game changer and insanely overhyped due to his movement with the ball when he make his trademark dribbles from the back line = being eye pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans