Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinBarcelonafan

His best ability is to make those runs from deep. Let him do that. Box-to-Box ain't him. He ain't no Vidal who loves to score or "crash the net". Frenkie has zero instincts for scoring. He is a pass-first player. Tough to change a mentality like that.

Let him do what he does best and leave the rest to others.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He need to get a run of games at CDM without Busquets in the lineup. Might not work, but will never know for sure if he never gets a run of 5-10 games.

malvolio

He need to get a run of games at CDM without Busquets in the lineup. Might not work, but will never know for sure if he never gets a run of 5-10 games.

Why? Does he want to play at CDM? He believes he can be good playing CDM here?

I don't see him as CDM for a team like Barca.

messi2140

6racies Xavi

Me neither. But it's either trying something different (since him playing higher up is clearly not working) or keep playing him higher up the pitch without any success.

Feels like the most the sensible thing to do is playing him CDM and hope he develops this season. If it works out great , if not Barca should sell him in the summer.

DonAK

Me neither. But it's either trying something different (since him playing higher up is clearly not working) or keep playing him higher up the pitch without any success.

Feels like the most the sensible thing to do is playing him CDM and hope he develops this season. If it works out great , if not Barca should sell him in the summer.

Frenkie as a CDM would be vastly different to Busquets. Simply two different type of profiles who have different skillsets. Doesn't mean Frenkie will be a poor fit for the role, unless you force him to play like Busquets which would be stupid.

We have to move on and adapt that CDM position and role in our team. It was different before Busquets, and should be different post-Busquets unless you want a player that plays exactly like him which someone like Jandro Orellana might do, but the trade off in actual quality would be a massive downgrade.

We should adapt the different roles our CDMs and interiors/CM have to suit the skillset of the players we actually have, instead of trying to make them something they aren't.

DonAK

I see other teams doing quite well without a player like Busquets as their CDM. The most similar player I suppose is Rodri, but Pep have him play differently this year from what I have noticed where he's holding more onto the ball and carrying it forward, and making more forward runs instead of trying to recycle possession quickly and play the ball forward breaking lines, and staying contained in his position.

He's having his best year at City too now.

You can sign whichever CDM you want, but as long as Barca try to force him to play like a carbon copy of Busquets instead of adapting the role and other midfield positions that player will struggle unless he really is a carbon copy of him.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
Speaking to Dutch outlet AD, Frenkie de Jong’s father discussed the interest in his son across Europe.

“‘Bayern [Munich] or [Manchester] United? The weather is horrible there. I know Barcelona need money and a good offer for my son would help, but I don’t see it happening. The top five clubs in Europe have made contact for him,” John de Jong said.

De Jong’s contract at Barcelona runs until 2026.

Bobo32

I see other teams doing quite well without a player like Busquets as their CDM. The most similar player I suppose is Rodri, but Pep have him play differently this year from what I have noticed where he's holding more onto the ball and carrying it forward, and making more forward runs instead of trying to recycle possession quickly and play the ball forward breaking lines, and staying contained in his position.

He's having his best year at City too now.

You can sign whichever CDM you want, but as long as Barca try to force him to play like a carbon copy of Busquets instead of adapting the role and other midfield positions that player will struggle unless he really is a carbon copy of him.

Yeah it is possible to play good football without Busquets you are correct. And if you get someone trying to play like Busquets, it will inevitably be a GREAT downgrade, and maybe better to try a different set up instead.
Problem is, Busquets is there, and while he is there, he will show he is better than the alternative. de Jong tried to play the position, but it was overtly obvious he was much worse there. Mascherano tried, Alex Song tried lol, but it was always better with Busquets. Even while playing 4-2-3-1 or other systems not at all suited for Busquets style, he was deemed by everyone to be a given in the lineup.
I am sure if Pep had Busquets available he would play Busquets, as Valverde, Lucho, Koeman and Xavi has done

Last edited:

JamDav1982

If Busquets was available for free tomorrow Pep would go nowhere near him.

He knows fine well the limitations and how exposed Busquets has been at top level for years.

Like Messi when asked for a quote Pep will purr with superlatives about Busi but ask him to sign him and there will be some reason City cant make it happen.

The likes of Busi at Barca is one of reasons no top/modern coach with options would touch the job at Barca.

On other hand Pep would snap hand off for chance to get in FDJ most likely.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Rodri is stronger, doesnt avoid physical contact as a weakness and in last year or so holds position on front of defence better.

Cleaner striker of the ball and despite not being quickest is much more mobile than Busquets.

Busquets is better on ball with disguised passes and keeping ball ticking.

Not all that similar in what both bring now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans