Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

Not too keen on Grimaldo either.

Point with Gaya or a younger player like Malacia (too bad that option is gone) instead of Alonso is that they in 3 years will be 30 and 25 respectively. If they aren't good enough they can be sold for a couple of million or at least stay as a backup to a newer player. At that point we'll know what to expect from them.

In 3 years with Alonso and Alba both will be gone. Two new LB's will come in with both of them needing to adapt. I very much doubt we'll get a plug and play WC LB, let alone two.

I'd have accepted Alonso if Alba would've been 28 or something.

That is the point.. there will come a time in next 1/2 years Barca will most likely need x4 new full backs and those players are going to have to adapt at some point regardless.

Can see Barcas thinking for Azpi and Alonso if had no money and trying to sell likes of Dest and increase squad numbers... assuming they were near enough free but when trying to spend up to 200m and not adressing FB area doesnt see right.

I have droned on about it a hundred times but for me not having fullbacks that can get up and down pitch effectively was leading to many of the issues Barca faced in breaking teams down towards end of season when got wiser to Barcas tactics.

serghei

Alonso has some strengths as he's tall and can score some goals here and there but otherwise, bang average for the most part and mostly excelled as an LM/LWB than as an LB.

Someone you buy to back up your star LB who is either in the middle of their prime or starting. Not your declining LB who is only a year older and is in their twilight years.

Yeah, but you can't fix your whole team in one summer, especially looking at our finances. And offensive area and CB take precedence for the club, which I fully agree with personally.

JamDav1982

200m will go pretty quickly if you look to bring Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde and replace De Jong as well.

Exactly the point.

They have 200m and choosing to spend it on other areas.

They cant campaign to pull levers to make club compettitve now, spend over 200m and still say finances were too tight to improve full back areas.

In that scenario they had a lot of money and spent it elsewhere.

It could work out well who knows but the finance argument doesnt stand up now.

They have a CB could get 60m plus for, another one just in that Chelsea wanted to keep and other top EPL teams and Bayern wanted according to reports and could then spend 50-60m on another CB.

serghei

Exactly the point.

They have 200m and choosing to spend it on other areas.

They cant campaign to pull levers to make club compettitve now, spend over 200m and still say finances were too tight to improve full back areas.

In that scenario they had a lot of money and spent it elsewhere.

It could work out well who knows but the finance argument doesnt stand up now.

True, I said that. We are very light in attack and we need a top-class CB.

So we don't have the funds to also take care of fullback area. We are looking at short-term options who are good players, to address it in the near future.

JamDav1982

True, I said that. We are very light in attack and we need a top-class CB.

So we don't have the funds to also take care of fullback area. We are looking at short-term options who are good players, to address it in the near future.

Are not anywhere near as light at CB as are at full back.

Have two CBs who a lot of top teams would take in squad and Garcia/Pique behind that.

At full back have an Alba who legs are not what they were and for me having old full backs that couldnt get up and down park as part of their job hindered Barca.

The do have funds.. they are choosing to spend in other areas. That is the point.

Reports suggest Barca lost out on Mazouari as Xavi preferred Azpi etc or didnt rate him highly enough and fell through. It does take a fortune and Xavi wants Azpi and Alonso.

serghei

Alba, Roberto was renewed. Araujo played RB fine last year vs stronger teams, including the Clasico if I remember well. And we are bringing in fullbacks (Alonso, Azpi), just not expensive long-term types. Besides, Dest is still here.

Even Jules Kounde played RB for Sevilla in quite a few matches.

It's attack where we lost players such as Dembele (so far), Adama, Luuk de Jong. And attack is where we suffered last season.

JamDav1982

They dont rate Dest and want to sell him.

It could be that Kounde/Araujo play RB at times and Xavi wants that cover at DM area when Busi presses to win ball.

Have said that for weeks.

Just for me on back of last season so many of Barcas problems came from width and not having full backs that could get up and down park and Barca could go for youngr back ups at most likely not a huge extra cost even with other signings.

Could lead to isolated wide players and I dont think any of Torres/Fati or Raphinha suit that and none of them go on outside to get ball in for Lewa either.

But could be different way they want to play.

Felt very boring and un Barca like approach in latter season when teams sat deep and invited crosses if thats how play again and with those players.

Last edited:

Devils

Barcelona are trying to find a new solution to prevent Frenkie de Jong's departure.

?
@dimarzio

Would be incredible.

JamDav1982

Barcelona are trying to find a new solution to prevent Frenkie de Jong's departure.

?
@dimarzio

Would be incredible.

Can only really be extending him with a decreased salary with it in contract.

Possibly that he gets 17m at end of contract and possibly with a low release clause.

So extend him by x3 years and his fee on books drops by 5/6m a season, salary of 14m a season as was previously... but for that salary decrease there is a low release fee of say 50m in a couple of years that puts the ball in FDJs court to leave then and have more options to renew on bigger contract.

This only happens surely if Xavi sees FDJ as the best option out there to replace Busi eventually though which doesnt seem to be the case.

Could be just to pressure United etc also.

Tell you where FDJ would be excellent.. middle of a back three like a modern day Sammer darting up the pitch like a blond Gazelle.

Gari

""Frenkie de Jong has not received a call from the club to lower his salary. He learned this through the press. He wants to stay. Chelsea have not contacted their agent.Xavi will agree to let Frenkie de Jong go ONLY if Bernardo Silva signs.""
We discuss gossip. Precisely, apart from the fact that he wants to stay, no one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans