Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temptation

Goretzka is the best example of a proper Box to Box mid.

I always finds it amusing how many types of midfield roles there are!

There's the attacking mid type like KDB and Bruno.

There's the nimble adavanced 8s like Pedri, Iniesta.

There's box to box.

There's the quintessential destroyer type DM like Makalele and Casemiro.

There's the Deep Lying playmakers who play in a DM position but are anchors and have more ball playing qualities. Example: Xabi Alonso, Jorginho.

There's also the jack of all trades/midfield general type. Like Roy Keane or Hojbjerg in today's day and age.

And so many other roles.

JamDav1982

There are a ton of ways to play as a ten.

Lampard more or less did with his link up to striker being huge part of his game.

He wasnt technically good enough to be type to open up game with ball in small spaces he went hunting space and chances to get goals assists.

Brilliant at reading game and things that could be practised through repeitiion such as striking a ball and his fitness.

Never a naturally gifted player but nailed the basics he could practise about better than any player have seen.

malvolio

Laporta should tie him up and take him to Manchester himself for 85M.

FDJ is a nice guy, but it wasn't to be I guess.

jamrock

Frankie is a DM that at his best drives the team forward from that position, explains why a couple of his best games was in the back 3, he needs to stay deep to organize.

JamDav1982

Frankie is a DM that at his best drives the team forward from that position, explains why a couple of his best games was in the back 3, he needs to stay deep to organize.

It is why he was class in the more open games v Real and Napoli and he himself has spoken about not suitiing game being so slow to get him the ball.

But he was a lot better in final third and all round game than is being made out.

El Gato

Villarato!
Back in day when teams played in a midfield 2 both players could be expected to try and do most jobs while striker is a guy poaching for tap-ins and find a gap
B2B then implied a guy who would be expected to provide support to both ends of the pitch, get in box at the regular to score and be expected to recover ball in front of own box
Now strikers, wide players and CBs often asked to do way more than before

When folks confuse a Frenkie type guy with B2B it's because they conflate players popping in positionally in same areas of the pitch on occasion, but tasks nowhere near the same.
Nowadays it's normally just players that can carry the ball vertically but are not a central reference point for others to dictate pace that carry this label - like lads said - Kante, Fede

Lampard was an AM. In mould of Kaka, David Silva, Bernardo, early Modrić

Temptation

Keane and Viera were you text book box to box players.

Mobile, agressive, could defend, pass, chip in with a goal.

Master of all trades and a phsyical cunt that could mix it.

Game is different since then also so role changed a bit as cant get away with some of things like of those two used to.

Personally I classify those 2 as a midfield general type as in jack of all trades.

The difference between a b2b and a mid general for me is that positionally a box to box is more all over the place while a mid general has more stability and less frequency in movement.

As Keane matured he started stabilizing more positionally speaking.

JamDav1982

Personally I classify those 2 as a midfield general type as in jack of all trades.

The difference between a b2b and a mid geberal for me is that positionally a box to box is more all over the place while a mid general has more stability and less frequency in movement.

As Keane matured he started stabilizing more poditionally speaking.

Keane and Viera at peak were pure box to box players coveirng the groundup and down all game.

Keane changed as he got older.

Temptation

Back in day when teams played in a midfield 2 both players could be expected to try and do most jobs while striker is a guy poaching for tap-ins and find a gap
B2B then implied a guy who would be expected to provide support to both ends of the pitch, get in box at the regular to score and be expected to recover ball in front of own box
Now strikers, wide players and CBs often asked to do way more than before

When folks confuse a Frenkie type guy with B2B it's because they conflate players popping in positionally in same areas of the pitch on occasion, but tasks nowhere near the same.
Nowadays it's normally just players that can carry the ball vertically but are not a central reference point for others to dictate pace that carry this label - like lads said - Kante, Fede

Lampard was an AM. In mould of Kaka, David Silva, Bernardo, early Modrić

Kaka was more Forward oriented than the rest imo.

Kaka could also play CF or on either wings.

I can't imagine Kaka playing an 8 in a midfield 3. The others on the list, I can. Kaka is too offensive for that role.

Bobo32

Goretzka is the best example of a proper Box to Box mid.

I always finds it amusing how many types of midfield roles there are!

There's the attacking mid type like KDB and Bruno.

There's the nimble adavanced 8s like Pedri, Iniesta.

There's box to box.

There's the quintessential destroyer type DM like Makalele and Casemiro.

There's the Deep Lying playmakers who play in a DM position but are anchors and have more ball playing qualities. Example: Xabi Alonso, Jorginho.

There's also the jack of all trades/midfield general type. Like Roy Keane or Hojbjerg in today's day and age.

And so many other roles.

you're just daft mate

Givenchy

This is getting messi

Ugly ugly. DeJong must feel betrayed.

I feel sorry for him. He liked Barca.

IF the media stuff is true, yeah I feel bad for him also. His dream club treating him like utter shit whilst twerking for the bottle job amigos. Remember Pique said he'd leave before? fucker is still here making a mockery of the club 2 years later.

When I said before I wanted Barca to be more ruthless, I didn't mean smear a player entering his prime's image to the point he has literally no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans