Gareth Bale

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Not even in England but worldwide. Also the British don't give a shit either way. He wasn't liked much in the first place. It was just that the local media hypes up every local player here, bale just happened to be the best of them, once he's gone they'll lose most interest. This wasn't the case with Beckham.

Bertus

Not even in England but worldwide. Also the British don't give a shit either way. He wasn't liked much in the first place. It was just that the local media hypes up every local player here, bale just happened to be the best of them, once he's gone they'll lose most interest. This wasn't the case with Beckham.

Madrid won't sell many shirts/goodies based on Bale just because they bought him.

But, if Bale does a fantastic season, they will do a lot of money thanks to him.

Here lies IMO the difference with beckham and Ronaldo. In the case of both of them, their names alone when they arrived in Madrid made lots and lots of money right from the start (and beside that, you can see it with Beckham even more since he didn't do marvelous in Madrid statistics Wise, he was an idol perhaps even more for his non-football qualities)

In the case of Bale, he'll need to prove things first. If he does an average season, Perez can forget the tons of money he wishes to gain thanks to Bale.

ceefoo

So yeah, england is small, but marketing Wise in Football they are big. And so far, i didn't hear anything making me feel that Bale would still be a star once he leaves. He'll always be popular, but if Madrid thinks they will flood English market with their shirts, they are really deluding themselves. PL fans will find another star to represent their league. If Madrid expect to see Bale's face on every walls in england, again they are deluding themselves.
You're right in that the average English/British football fan couldn't give a toss about Bale. And his homeland; Wales, although they would be proud to have one of their sons playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs, already have their clubs that they follow with a strong passion and loyalty, with clubs like Swansea, Cardiff etc. They are not going to suddenly start supporting Real Madrid just because a Welshman signs for them. Wales is a very small country anyway so even if they were to sell a few RM jersey's, it's not going to amount to much.

I think Beast was focusing more on the global market, particularly the English speaking one. North America is a territory I think they will target with Bale. He won't make much of an impact in S. America as Cristiano, Messi & Neymar have that territory sewn up. Asia could be another market on the radar.

The problem I have with Bale becoming the "New Poster Boy", is with his personality. Although he uses that stupid goal celebration and has even patented it, he is not someone that courts publicity. I suppose that same could be accused of Messi, but he is GOAT, so he's slightly different.

When Beckham first appeared on the scene in the mid-nineties, he was a shy and retiring type until he hooked up with Posh Spice. Then his personality changed, he became more extravert and embraced the celebrity lifestyle and formed himself into a global icon that transcended football. It also helped that he was a good-looking chap.

Unless Bale goes though a similar change, I don't see him having much of an impact, in terms of worldwide fame to non-football fans.

Bertus

I think Beast was focusing more on the global market, particularly the English speaking one. North America is a territory I think they will target with Bale. He won't make much of an impact in S. America as Cristiano, Messi & Neymar have that territory sewn up. Asia could be another market on the radar.

Beast is making hasty comparisons.

As i said above, Bale can't RIGHT NOW sell things just based on his name. Even in north america.

Comparing him with Ronaldo or beckham is dishonest, sorry to say that like that since i don't want to be rude to Beast.

Perez can't market bale from day one based on his name alone and make great money off it. That's a world of a difference compared to what happened with Ronaldo and Beckham.

Bale will need to do great till now and at least the end of the year.

Most people, including I, think he will, but in football you never know.

If Bale does average, as i said, perez can kiss money goodbye.

Bertus

Also, remember that Bale could be totally overshadowed by a certain Ronaldo.

To shine a lot, he'll need to do greater than if Ronaldo was not in the same team.

Maria

How much is Bale earning from publicity right now? I know that Beckam, Cristiano, Messi and Neymar are making a lot of money thanks to their sponsors(and Messi&Neymar even helped Barcelona sign some new partnership this summer), but I have no idea how Bale is doing in that department.

Irish_Cules

What do Madridistas here think of the Bale transfer on purely footballing terms? If Ronaldo was to leave this summer, I can see why Bale would be brought him but if he doesn't then I don't see the point in making such a huge effort to sign him now. I think having both Bale and Ronaldo in the same team will alter what Ancelloti has planned for the team. Bale and Ronaldo are too similar in their style of play. I could see Ronaldo growing frustrated at Bale's numerous long range attempts. I think Ronaldo will leave next summer so why not leave the Bale transfer until then? Ancelloti looks like he has something good going at the moment so I don't see the rush in bringing in Bale to mess with that.

Bertus

I think having both Bale and Ronaldo in the same team will alter what Ancelloti has planned for the team.

You're wrong. As revealed by Fred Hermel who talked with Bronzetti, carlo's agent, Bale is a target because Carlo asked Perez to do whatever it costs to get him.

Hermel revealed that in May 2013, so not yesterday.

Carlo has something in mind and Bale is part of his plan.

ceefoo

I think having both Bale and Ronaldo in the same team will alter what Ancelloti has planned for the team. Bale and Ronaldo are too similar in their style of play.
Reports say that Ancelloti has already started experimenting with Cristiano is pre-season, so he is obviously planning for Bale's arrival.

The question is: Will Cristiano be happy being shifted around the team in order to accommodate Bale?

I could see Ronaldo growing frustrated at Bale's numerous long range attempts. I think Ronaldo will leave next summer so why not leave the Bale transfer until then? Ancelloti looks like he has something good going at the moment so I don't see the rush in bringing in Bale to mess with that.
Bale averages 5 Shots per Game (SpG), while Cristiano averages 7 (SpG). Both very dominant.

- How will this work within the team dynamic, without prohibiting the others output?

- Will one of them have to play a more disciplined, supporting role?

- And if so, surely that would impinge on the others effectiveness?

It's difficult to see how Bale can add, without taking away.

DennyCrane

How much is Bale earning from publicity right now? I know that Beckam, Cristiano, Messi and Neymar are making a lot of money thanks to their sponsors(and Messi&Neymar even helped Barcelona sign some new partnership this summer), but I have no idea how Bale is doing in that department.

He's most likely not even close to the others ...yet. He had this 'Eleven of Hearts' thingie trademarked which I would post a link to if the Intellectual Property Office search function wasn't down on maintenance again. The 'Eleven of hearts' thing will be the first real step in personal marketing with jewelry, clothing, footwear, watches and all that stuff.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
With the right marketing people would buy anything
He's most likely not even close to the others ...yet. He had this 'Eleven of Hearts' thingie trademarked which I would post a link to if the Intellectual Property Office search function wasn't down on maintenance again. The 'Eleven of hearts' thing will be the first real step in personal marketing with jewelry, clothing, footwear, watches and all that stuff.

How can he trademark a celebration he wasn't the first to use?

DennyCrane

With the right marketing people would buy anything

How can he trademark a celebration he wasn't the first to use?

He didn't trademark the celebration itself but made a logo out of it.

Gareth-Bale-11ofhearts.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if this is exactly the same logo, but it's at least pretty close.

Home of Barca Fans