Gareth Bale

ceefoo

So was Beckham , do you think he was anywhere near as talented as Zidane , Figo , Ronaldo , Rivaldo etc ? who cares how marketable he is in Spain who has a fallen economy ? Spain economics is not part of anyone thinking... it's North America & Asia... Bale is the face of FIFA 2014 for EA in the UK , face for the EPL ads with NBC ... etc
Nothing else matters in terms of money Hammy .. and certainly not Spain... the Spanish are broke
I think the point Hammy was making is that in the EPL, Bale is, the best, if not, one of the best players in that league. That's why he is so marketable in England and for the Premier League as a brand, because it is the worlds most popular football league. He is a British player, playing in a British league, that's what makes him so marketable.

If/when Bale comes to Spain, he won't be the best player, or the second or even third best player. The likes of Messi, Cristiano and Neymar, are global superstars. I'm not saying that Bale could never become one, but he has a way to go before he can even approach their level, no matter how good Madrids marketing skills are.

Beckham is a different story because he has never has been a great player, and his image regarding his looks has always been his main selling point.

However I don't buy into the thought that you need to have the perfect face in order to sell this or that, just look at Rooney. Hell, the guy looks like Shrek, but that doesn't stop his ugly mug being plastered all over the Far-East. Exceptional talent is easy to market, regardless.

Real Madrid is not from britain
:goodpost: Post of the Day! :lol:

Last edited:
I think the point Hammy was making is that in the EPL, Bale is, the best, if not, one of the best players in that league. That's why he is so marketable in England and for the Premier League as a brand, because it is the worlds most popular football league. He is a British player, playing in a British league, that's what makes him so marketable.

If/when Bale comes to Spain, he won't be the best player, or the second or even third best player. The likes of Messi, Cristiano and Neymar, are global superstars. I'm not saying that Bale could never become one, but he has a way to go before he can even approach their level, no matter how good Madrids marketing skills are.

Beckham is a different story because he has never has been a great player, and his image regarding his looks has always been his main selling point.

However I don't buy into the thought that you need to have the perfect face in order to sell this or that, just look at Rooney. Hell, the guy looks like Shrek, but that doesn't stop his ugly mug being plastered all over the Far-East. Exceptional talent is easy to market, regardless.

Very good post! Kinda what I meant and great new points. Rooney became a global star when he saved the Golden Generation of England at the Euro 2004. He was young, once in a century talent and most important English. He became the saviour of English football at the most known club in the rising EPL. But even he played only 2nd fiddle to Ronaldo after 2006. Only when Ronaldo left he became the face of our club.

oz187

Beckham played for Man U, the biggest club in England, has a popstar wife and was a key player for England. Cristiano also was a Champions League winner with Man U and a Balon D'or winner. Of course they are going to have huge marketing value.

Gareth Bale is nowhere near the same league as them in this respect. He's not that visible here in England, not like Cristiano was and certainly nowhere near what Beckham was. He is also Welsh and while he has recognition playing in England, if he leaves for Spain he won't be followed in the same way as if he would if he was English. If you want to know how popular he is, you could look at the fact he has 1M twitter followers where the likes of Rooney, Van Persie and Cesc have over 5M. Even Suarez has 2M. Or you could look at Forbes list for this year:

1. David Beckham. Age: 37. Total earnings: $50.6 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo. Age: 28. Total earnings: $43.5 million
3. Lionel Messi. Age: 25. Total earnings: $40.3 million
4. Sergio Aguero. Age: 24. Total earnings: $20.8 million
5. Wayne Rooney. Age: 27. Total earnings: $20.3 million
6. Yaya Toure. Age: 29. Total earnings: $20.2 million
7. Fernando Torres. Age: 29. Total earnings: $20.2 million
8. Neymar. Age: 21. Total earnings: $19.5 million
9. Ricardo Kaka. Age: 30. Total earnings: $19.3 million
10. Didier Drogba. Age: 35. Total earnings: $17.8 million

Gareth Bale nowhere to be seen.

Alik

Beckham played for Man U, the biggest club in England, has a popstar wife and was a key player for England. Cristiano also was a Champions League winner with Man U and a Balon D'or winner. Of course they are going to have huge marketing value.

Gareth Bale is nowhere near the same league as them in this respect. He's not that visible here in England, not like Cristiano was and certainly nowhere near what Beckham was. He is also Welsh and while he has recognition playing in England, if he leaves for Spain he won't be followed in the same way as if he would if he was English. If you want to know how popular he is, you could look at the fact he has 1M twitter followers where the likes of Rooney, Van Persie and Cesc have over 5M. Even Suarez has 2M. Or you could look at Forbes list for this year:

I expect this to change soon with Bale winning the Premier League awards last season. Or so the "marketing experts" say.

raskolnikov

Suarez should have been player of the year cause he was more consistent than Rvp and Bale. But his stulid behavior snd reputstion ruin his chances.

Beast

The Observer
I watched most good EPL games last season and for me personally it was quite clear that RvP was the best player in the league. Bale had great timing of showing his peak, while RvP was in a slump but overall he was a bit better in my opinion. For me Bale and Mata share a great 2nd place, because Mata saved Chelsea nearly as often as Bale did the Spurs. RvP went to his sleeping mode for 8 games where he scored only 1 goal yes right, but there were games were he won us games on his own. Just look at his 3rd game for us a hattrick, where we played like shit. Have you watched United often last season? For example Scholes didn't even play in the 2nd half of the season, Nani had a horrific season, Kagawa doesn't fit in yet etc ...

Giggs is NOW more popluar than ever because of his longevity and how long he stayed at the same club. If you asked non football fans in the mid 00s who Ryan Giggs is I think not many would've known his name. Beckham simply had everything you could've asked for in marketing tool and yes being English was a part of it. The pretty boy from Manchester United who could score amazing free kicks. If Beckham wasn't good looking and didn't change his hair every week, his global appeal would've been far less. Ronaldo became alot of his female fan base already in 04 when he played for Portugal and a whole country hated him in 06. Bale can be a great marketing tool but I don't believe he can be in that elite bracket with Beckham, Ronaldo.

RVP was inconsistent, no one is denying his talents but a slump for 8 games means literally 2 month (including the CL tie ) which rules him out completely
He was your best player but not the league best player.. Bale won it fair and square last season with consistency and leading a much smaller team than United...
Those facts are undeniable
Giggs was second in command behind Becks (Scholes value back than was not as grand as it was in the 2000's or rather appreciated ) yet being from Wales playing in no Euro or World cup didn't make him any less popular
Now to know where i'm getting imagine if Bale was in United not in Spurs.. how much value he would have been (marketing and price wise ) ..that's what he will be offered... we will grab his EPL popularity as the CURRENT face of the English premier league and put him in one of the most popular teams in the world..

What about Suarez?

Too old for what Liverpool is asking...we don't throw away that much money for his age unless Bale deal is completely off .. moreover we do have both Morata and Jese

The highlight part is why he is of great value to us.. it was never about looks.. Neymar looks like a mutated lizard , Messi looks like a mouse ...
Again he is an excellent young player who can develop a lot
We can count how many players joined la liga and turned to stars , for the 5th time his value in la liga is not important .. his value and popularity abroad is what matters ...he will turn good as soon as he adapt .. however we are not talking about a complete unknown for the fans like Khedira for example.. la liga fans do know Bale quite well even though it doesn't affect his marketing value at all

Very good post! Kinda what I meant and great new points. Rooney became a global star when he saved the Golden Generation of England at the Euro 2004. He was young, once in a century talent and most important English. He became the saviour of English football at the most known club in the rising EPL. But even he played only 2nd fiddle to Ronaldo after 2006. Only when Ronaldo left he became the face of our club.
He was the face before Ronaldo rose to stardom , faded under Ronaldo to play second fiddle than took over when he left till he dropped off form.. his marketing value is so big there is no way we compete both however in terms of popularity he dropped significantly and no referred to as a fat lazy player who can't get a starting spot... and once this happens your image rights suffer

Gareth is nowhere to be seen because those names makes at least double his salary for starters .. he make around 3.5 Million pound a year while player like Neymar makes 7.5 Million Euro in Barcelona , Kaka makes 11.5 Million Euro in Real , Aguero makes 10.4 Million pounds in salary.. so the comparison you are reflecting doesn't show the whole story
He is still rising up and the endorsement deals he signed with NBC , EA Sports etc + a possible move will change his earning structure
needless to say players like Aguero, CR , Messi etc has all won big trophies which helped in their earnings.. Bale is still on his way... and if he was playing in City he would have made double what he makes now without a sweat

Jenks

It's very relevant. Try living in Britain and not hearing about Bale and his popularity as a Brit.

He's certainly on the sports news a lot because of the transfer saga, but popular? I don't think so. He's Welsh. The vast majority of the country couldn't give a shit about Bale, and I seriously doubt a significant number would bother watching Madrid because of him, let alone start buying his shirts.

Bertus

He's certainly on the sports news a lot because of the transfer saga, but popular? I don't think so. He's Welsh. The vast majority of the country couldn't give a shit about Bale, and I seriously doubt a significant number would bother watching Madrid because of him, let alone start buying his shirts.

There are some truth here. From what i gathered from some English people i know:

- Many English people like him but he'll never be at the same level in their heart because he's welsh.
- They are starting to get annoyed by what he's doing. Aka forcing his way to join real Madrid.
- Both his behavior and the fact that he's refusing to stay in the PL (because he could join MU) are starting to irritate people there.
- Bale doesn't seem to see or care how his image is taking a hit in england.

Given all that, I really doubt he'll ever be at the same level of beckam. Thinking he has a chance is deluding itself.

Sure he could get great popularity elsewhere, but don't count on English people to support him more now. There are more chance for him to start being hated there than the opposite.

Last edited:

Bertus

Let's not forget that Bale isn't very handsome either... he's no Beckham.

It's not just that, it's how this case is turning.

It became ugly. Bale is just spiting all over the PL (that's what some people told me)

So yeah, england is small, but marketing Wise in Football they are big. And so far, i didn't hear anything making me feel that Bale would still be a star once he leaves. He'll always be popular, but if Madrid thinks they will flood English market with their shirts, they are really deluding themselves. PL fans will find another star to represent their league. If Madrid expect to see Bale's face on every walls in england, again they are deluding themselves.

I think Perez is not happy about what Bale did. Perez's plan is always the same. Make the player dreams, promise him everything to force him to leave. Then the player let his agent do all the dirty job.

But what Perez wants is for people to stay discrete. Bale has a big mouth and talk too much instead of letting his agent do the job. See what ancelotti did, he let Bronzetti do everything while shutt*** the hell up most of he could do to avoid to damage his image.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Beast has it mixed up. Once he's out of the premier league he won't be as marketable. He's only the face of the premier league as he's a local player. As Jenks said most people here couldn't give a shit about him if he left. If bale went to Madrid people wouldnt rush to get his shirt like CR or Beckham. When he's in la liga he won't be the faceof the league and the league is less popular anyway, his marketing value would go down.

Jenks.. I don't beleive in the illuminati per se but I'm suspicious of government activities. To me the illuminati is whoever is in charge. Like I said "not the way it's popularly portrayed".

Bertus

Beast has it mixed up. Once he's out of the premier league he won't be as marketable. He's only the face of the premier league as he's a local player. As Jenks said most people here couldn't give a shit about him if he left. If bale went to Madrid people wouldnt rush to get his shirt like CR or Beckham. When he's in la liga he won't be the faceof the league and the league is less popular anyway, his marketing value would go down.

Madrid fans are mixing up how Ronaldo and Beckam stayed ultra popular and loved in England when they left the PL.

It's NOT the case of Bale at all. So far, the more he's talking to threaten his club, the more English people start to hate him with a passion.

Home of Barca Fans