Gareth Bale

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Just imagine they spend that much money again. Other team will be thinking "okay we might spend money too this summer so we can keep up with them. The normal prices for players would reach insane levels. Smaller clubs couldnt even efford players they normally get. And this would end in total domination from clubs with big money like "bayern,Barca,Real,Mancity,Manu,Chelsea,PSG

I don't consider us a rich club. We are either poor or stingy.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
By allowing Alisher Usmanov to become majority shareholder. That dude is filthy rich! :greedy:

I've heard that it isn't going to happen. If it doesn't, Arsenal is at the bottom of the pile in terms of "big clubs" and instead of improving like Atletico, Monaco, etc. they are either declining or remaining the exact same. They aren't even in the same class as Dortmund or Juve, let alone better than them.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't consider us a rich club. We are either poor or stingy.

Spending 57m for Neymar, 40m for Cesc, 70m for Ibra, etc. is anything but stingy or poor (it's actually reckless spending). We are definitely one of the richer clubs in the world and the only thing that disguises that fact is our famous youth academy.

How will Arsenal dominate yet Dortmund and Juve find it difficult to catch up?

Simple matter of revenue. Arsenal are selling their tickets at the highest price in the whole EPL! They fetch atleast 100 pounds per seat and have a new stadium with 60k seats, that's why they were broke for a long time. They had to pay the debt and are now in a very good situation. The EPL has a new deal for the TV rights which will spike in the 2014/2015 season. Juventus plays in the Serie A which lost nearly all it's former glory and they have a 41k stadium with nowhere near the same prices for a set. They still are in a lot of debt, they are lucky to have been very good in the transfer market, that's why they have a very good team now. Dortmund is now a great team but their wage bill is still below that of Tottenham for example a non EPL CL side, which is the reason why many of their key players will leave them in the end.

ceefoo

I've heard that it isn't going to happen.
I'm not saying it will happen. "Silent" Stan Kroenke is fighting him, to protect his own interests. But it potentially could happen, should the Arsenal fans pipe up and try to force a sale.

But yes, Arsenal are going backwards atm. And the latest quotes from Arsene "Whinger" only support that theory saying today that if they don't add to their squad this summer, the personnel they currently have are still good enough to challenge for the title. :shakeshead: :facepalm:

oz187

Arsenal are getting really strong financially and may be more competitive in future. Dortmund also I think are underrated, they are improving a lot and their finances increasing. They have second place in Bundesliga almost sewn up so have a stable platform to continue building from. Juve I think will struggle to be competitive.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Simple matter of revenue. Arsenal are selling their tickets at the highest price in the whole EPL! They fetch atleast 100 pounds per seat and have a new stadium with 60k seats, that's why they were broke for a long time. They had to pay the debt and are now in a very good situation. The EPL has a new deal for the TV rights which will spike in the 2014/2015 season. Juventus plays in the Serie A which lost nearly all it's former glory and they have a 41k stadium with nowhere near the same prices for a set. They still are in a lot of debt, they are lucky to have been very good in the transfer market, that's why they have a very good team now. Dortmund is now a great team but their wage bill is still below that of Tottenham for example a non EPL CL side, which is the reason why many of their key players will leave them in the end.

Well, all those financial revenue statistics don't change the fact that football-wise they are not top level. They've made some good deals like Cazorla and co. but they do not have a winning mentality and often look like their main goal is just to get by. Juve on the other hand are actually active in the transfer market, are one of the best clubs in the world, and are improving every year. Same goes for Dortmund, while they lost Gotze they made up for it by buying Mkhitaryan and Aubemayang, and you can be sure that they'll buy another player when Lewa leaves. Those clubs have ambition and don't get knocked down when players leave, they don't let something as trivial as wage bills make them any worse. One of those teams are two time Serie A champions and had a massive unbeaten streak that went on until last season. The other, a CL finalist who still somehow can remain toe to toe with their juggernaut competitors Bayern Munich despite losing key players to them and the apparent "gap" between them growing larger and larger. Arsenal on the other hand never challenge for trophies and their biggest recent accomplishment is barely stifling Spuds to a CL place through some late-season form.

DennyCrane

Arsenal are getting really strong financially and may be more competitive in future. Dortmund also I think are underrated, they are improving a lot and their finances increasing. They have second place in Bundesliga almost sewn up so have a stable platform to continue building from. Juve I think will struggle to be competitive.

They won't, at least as long as they benefit the way serie a teams do from UEFA market pool. Take a look at this:

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/97/52/97/1975297_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Juventus was the top-earner in the 2012/2013 CL with a whooping 65 mil EURO.

Well, all those financial revenue statistics don't change the fact that football-wise they are not top level. They've made some good deals like Cazorla and co. but they do not have a winning mentality and often look like their main goal is just to get by. Juve on the other hand are actually active in the transfer market, are one of the best clubs in the world, and are improving every year. Same goes for Dortmund, while they lost Gotze they made up for it by buying Mkhitaryan and Aubemayang, and you can be sure that they'll buy another player when Lewa leaves. Those clubs have ambition and don't get knocked down when players leave, they don't let something as trivial as wage bills make them any worse. One of those teams are two time Serie A champions and had a massive unbeaten streak that went on until last season. The other, a CL finalist who still somehow can remain toe to toe with their juggernaut competitors Bayern Munich despite losing key players to them and the apparent "gap" between them growing larger and larger. Arsenal on the other hand never challenge for trophies and their biggest recent accomplishment is barely stifling Spuds to a CL place through some late-season form.

I'm not talking about NOW. Your absolutely right if we are talking about NOW. One poster talked about how it would end if those fees keeps improving at such a rapid pace. I mean seriously we live in world where Gareth Bale will be sold over 100m€. Andy Carroll was a 40m€ transfer. Why did Dortmund get Mkhitaryan and Aubemayang? Because they were smart enough to target players that flew under the radar of the absolute top clubs. You think Mkhitaryan would play for Dortmund if let's say Chelsea would muscle in and simply pay him 3x the wages he gets at Dortmund? He'd be playing for Chelsea now. As sad as modern football might sound it's only the future. There will always be good cheap sides but like Arsenal in the past or Dortmund in the present or future they will simply be taken apart.

DennyCrane

Wow, how come the Serie A teams get so much? And the Portugeuse teams so little?

It's all about the market pool, really. The UEFA redistributes the income from the domestic tv deals back to the clubs in these countries. There's a lot of money to gain in TV rights in Italy, so a big slice goes to these clubs.
It's really nuts if you think about it: Juventus gained 44 million from the market pool and 8.6 million as a group fee alone. So without doing anything in the CL, they already earned almost as much money as Dortmund who reached the final.

When you look at the EL distribution, it really gets depressing:

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/97/53/15/1975315_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Most of the clubs stuck in there are the ones who'll probably fight for survival in the future. I mean, besides the market-pool which one as a club can't do anything about, there's pretty much nothing to gain there.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

<s>@</s>barcastuff <small class="time"> 1 h
</small> Zidane (assistant Real Madrid): "Last season, Gareth (Bale) was on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi." [via skysports]

:shutup:

:rofl1:

Home of Barca Fans