Gareth Bale

Thats as much as anything is to do with the team he plays for.

If Bale was at Man Utd or one of the other big teams he would be much higher.

Sergio Aguero is at 4 FFS. It's not like Tottenham is a small club. If he would be playing for us he'd be the number 1 by far, but not even making the top10 is kinda shocking. The team is important no doubt about that but it's not the only factor, or how is Torres the highest selling Chelsea player and Mata not even on the list?

JamDav1982

Sergio Aguero is at 4 FFS. It's not like Tottenham is a small club. If he would be playing for us he'd be the number 1 by far, but not even making the top10 is kinda shocking. The team is important no doubt about that but it's not the only factor, or how is Torres the highest selling Chelsea player and Mata not even on the list?

Its not shocking at all that he doesnt make the top ten due to the club he plays for.

F

Flavia

Not at all if anything that just backs up the fact that the club you play for is a huge factor.

It's a factor, but not the only one. Isn't Bale the best epl player, all over the media non stop? I'd imagine he'd be on top 10, regardless of tottenham. You disagreeing with that does not make it a fact, either.

JamDav1982

It's a factor, but not the only one. Isn't Bale the best epl player, all over the media non stop? I'd imagine he'd be on top 10, regardless of tottenham. You disagreeing with that does not make it a fact, either.

That wont make supporters who follow other teams buy his shirt.

Spurs dont have as big a following as those other teams.

The players on that list prove it is not all about current ability and you need to be at a well supported club.

Maria

What's shocking is that we're supposed to believe that he's the face of Premier League, the one that will follow on Beckam's and CR's footsteps and that will bring pilles of cash to RM that will justify a fee bigger than 100M euros.

JamDav1982

What's shocking is that we're supposed to believe that he's the face of Premier League, the one that will follow on Beckam's and CR's footsteps and that will bring pilles of cash to RM that will justify a fee bigger than 100M euros.

His shirt sales would absolutely go through the roof at a top club.

There is a massive difference to the support Spurs have just now.

Ursegor

World Champion
Shirt sales generating much profit for a club is a myth anyway. 90 % of revenues generated by shirt sales go into the pockets of Nike / Adidas, the distributor and the player himself. Clubs see very little of shirt sale money. On top of that you would have to consider the overall shirt sale count anyway and not just the number of sold shirts of a particular player. If I buy a Bale jersey it doesn't mean I wouldn't have bought an Isco jersey if Bale had not joined.

Perez is not some sort of genius who discovered a way to splash unlimited money on players and then make it auto-refund itself. If this were the case clubs like Manchester United (even more popular club than Madrid afaik) or even Arsenal would just copy the model.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Shirt sales generating profit for a cub is a myth anyway. 90 % of revenues generated by shirt sales go into the pockets of Nike / Adidas, the distributor and the player himself. Clubs see very little of shirt sale money. On top of that you would have to consider the overall shirt sale count anyway and not just the number of sold shirts of a particular player. If I buy a Bale jersey it doesn't mean I wouldn't have bought an Isco jersey if Bale had not joined.

Perez is not some sort of genius who discovered a way to splash unlimited money on players and then make it auto-refund itself. If this were the case clubs like Manchester United (even more popular club than Madrid afaik) or even Arsenal would just copy the model.

Shirt sales do generate money for clubs it not a myth.

It is a myth if you think that the club get 100% of the money for each item sold.

It is not always to be taken too literally though and is an easy and simple way to understand the popularity of players at a club and their marketing potential for the club.

Home of Barca Fans