Gareth Bale

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Shirt sales do generate money for clubs it not a myth.

It is a myth if you think that the club get 100% of the money for each item sold.

It is not always to be taken too literally though and is an easy and simple way to understand the popularity of players at a club and their marketing potential for the club.

Again, JamDav is correct, jersey sales do generate quite a bit of money for the clubs.

For those of you who are interested in jersey sales, check this out, a very informative read.

http://www.mmsports.com/soccerjerse...nt=UK&utm_campaign=soccer-jersey-year-2012-uk

Ursegor

World Champion
Shirt sales do generate money for clubs it not a myth.

Let's not get into semantics. I edited the sentence and you know what I meant from the context. Of course shirt sales generate money. They don't refund transfer fees though, nevermind € 100 million-ish transfer fees. Barcelona made € 32 million net profit last season which obviously included the profit from shirt sales of the whole squad with highly marketable players like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Fabregas, Pique etc. How much do you believe that number could rise by simply adding Bale to the squad? I doubt that it would even increase by a single million.

JamDav1982

Let's not get into semantics. I edited the sentence and you know what I meant from the context. Of course shirt sales generate money. They don't refund transfer fees though, nevermind € 100 million-ish transfer fees. Barcelona made € 32 million net profit last season which obviously included the profit from shirt sales of the whole squad with highly marketable players like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Fabregas, Pique etc. How much do you believe that number could rise by simply adding Bale to the squad? I doubt that it would even increase by a single million.

Of course shirt sales alone dont cover transfer fees but the economic impact the player could have is not all down to shirt sales anyway.

Real Madrid recognised long ago that it was star players that attract and keep a lot of fans.

If you get players that increase the marketability of the club and improve their popularity while doing the business on the pitch it can make big deals worthwhile.

Even going on tours etc. Barcelona are getting around 6m for their next two games. People are paying to see the best players in the world.

Bertus

Again, JamDav is correct, jersey sales do generate quite a bit of money for the clubs.

For those of you who are interested in jersey sales, check this out, a very informative read.

http://www.mmsports.com/soccerjerse...nt=UK&utm_campaign=soccer-jersey-year-2012-uk

I don't think that whole discussion is about that.

People don't deny that selling shirts bring great money.

They are denying that Bale will sell tons of it based on his transfer alone.

They deny the comparison with CR and Beckham because those two were able to sell shirts on their names alone.

Bale is not in the same league as CR and Beckham for now.

Maybe he'll become like them, but if Perez plans to make the same money based on Bale's name out of the gate as he did with Becks and CR, then I think he's completely wrong.

Ursegor

World Champion
Of course shirt sales alone dont cover transfer fees but the economic impact the player could have is not all down to shirt sales anyway.

Real Madrid recognised long ago that it was star players that attract and keep a lot of fans.

If you get players that increase the marketability of the club and improve their popularity while doing the business on the pitch it can make big deals worthwhile.

Even going on tours etc. Barcelona are getting around 6m for their next two games. People are paying to see the best players in the world.

True, however at some point you hit a saturation limit. Nothing grows eternily. If Valencia could manage to sign someone like Beckham or Ronaldinho it might help them to attract more people to the stadium, attract more viewers on TV, get better commercial deals, negotiate a better TV contract and whatnot. If Real Madrid sign Bale then ... yeah ... then what? lol

JamDav1982

I don't think that whole discussion is about that.

People don't deny that selling shirts bring great money.

They are denying that Bale will sell tons of it based on his transfer alone.

They deny the comparison with CR and Beckham because those two were able to sell shirts on their names alone.

Bale is not in the same league as CR and Beckham for now.

Maybe he'll become like them, but if Perez plans to make the same money based on Bale's name out of the gate as he did with Becks and CR, then I think he's completely wrong.

Who has claimed that Bale will make as much money through marketing as Beckham and Ronaldo? Or even claimed Perez thinks it.

JamDav1982

True, however at some point you hit a saturation limit. Nothing grows eternily. If Valencia could manage to sign someone like Beckham or Ronaldinho it might help them to attract more people to the stadium, attract more viewers on TV, get better commercial deals, negotiate a better TV contract and whatnot. If Real Madrid sign Bale then ... yeah ... then what? lol

Well imagine they sign Bale and he helps them win the 'decima' and how much money they would make off the back of that and being the first team in the world to reach ten european cups.

There are many ways that Bale could potentially help make the club lots of money through performances on the pitch and not just image rights.

Real Madrid have the biggest money making machine in football. Even in these recent years when put in the shade by Barcelona.

It think it is quite safe to assume they know what they are doing when it comes to generating money.

Exactly and for an average fan, who would you rather get on your new kit? One of the best players of all time, who carried the club sometimes on his own or his cheap copy. It doesn't make any sense as long as it is Ronaldos team.

Bertus

Well, that's why I'm not against clubs like PSG or Chelsea.

Because it was a complete statu quo.

- Rich and popular clubs stayed rich and popular
- Small or poor clubs had no means to go higher.

To get your clubs bigger, you need money and great players.

- If you find a great player, you lose him because a rich club wants him.
- Feeding a diamond is rare, so...
- Small clubs can't do much with 30-40 millions euros.

--------------

People should change their view on PSG and co. because

- Fresh clubs appeared.
- They are strong and rich enough to make leagues a lot more interesting instead of only seeing Madrid and co. every year.
- They INJECT a lot of money in the market.
- Many smaller clubs get better from that money. Example : NAPOLI.

I don't say PSG and Chelsea are great clubs. But i PERSONALLY think that now the CL and many leagues (the french league for example) are way more interesting now.

I don't care what CLUB's president like perez are saying about rich clubs like PSG. As a common person, I like how, for example, the PL got more interesting IMO since new rich clubs appeared.

Bertus

Who has claimed that Bale will make as much money through marketing as Beckham and Ronaldo? Or even claimed Perez thinks it.

I think it's common sense that perez thinks Bale will make money. You don't throw 100-140 millions just to see a player's skills on the field.

Perez is a business man too. He thinks Bale is the next big thing marketing Wise IMO.

And Perez like all businessmen is not planning to throw 100M to make money of Bale in 3 years.

He thinks he can do great money in a short time from now.

JamDav1982

Exactly and for an average fan, who would you rather get on your new kit? One of the best players of all time, who carried the club sometimes on his own or his cheap copy. It doesn't make any sense as long as it is Ronaldos team.

It does though and Real Madrid know it fine.

Buying and keeping star players they realised long ago is important to building and maintaining a fan base.

Why did they keep buying Galacticos? Even when it was not a huge success on the pitch? Because each player brought more and more revenue regardless of who was there already.

Real Madrid know what they are doing. Just look at the money they make every year.

JamDav1982

I think it's common sense that perez thinks Bale will make money. You don't throw 100-140 millions just to see a player's skills on the field.

Perez is a business man too. He thinks Bale is the next big thing marketing Wise IMO.

And Perez like all businessmen is not planning to throw 100M to make money of Bale in 3 years.

He thinks he can do great money in a short time from now.

Thats not the point though. Who has said he thinks Bale is as marketable as Beckham and Ronaldo?

Bertus

Real Madrid know what they are doing. Just look at the money they make every year.

From RMC french radio yesterday, (i can give you a link to the podcast if you want), they said RM has 590M in debt.

So maybe they do a lot of money, yet they have that debt.

They are not totally fine like they pretend to.

They are just in a position where not a lot of people ask them to pay their debt. I guess it helps to be a club close to people like Juan carlos.

In another country like France, there's no way a football club would stay clean and all with that kind of debt.

From a french POV I actually Wonder why no one cares in spain. The banks don't care apparently. People too.

In France, the league is poor also because of that. You can't have big debts like RM has in spain. Banks are not so "kind" here.

Last edited:

Bertus

Thats not the point though. Who has said he thinks Bale is as marketable as Beckham and Ronaldo?

I think that's the point.

I don't believe the fantasy story that Perez buys a player at 100-140M just for his skills.

He does it for money too. That's my personal opinion, but I think perez views Bale as the next CR marketing wise.

We'll see i guess.

JamDav1982

From RMC french radio yesterday, (i can give you a link to the podcast if you want), they said RM has 590M in debt.

So maybe they do a lot of money, yet they have that debt.

They are not totally fine like they pretend to.

They are just in a position where not a lot of people ask them to pay their debt. I guess it helps to be a club close to people like Juan carlos.

In another country like France, there's no way a football club would stay clean and all with that kind of debt.

From a french POV I actually Wonder why no one cares in spain. The banks don't care apparently. People too.

In France, the league is poor also because of that. You can't have big debts like RM has in spain.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd all have massive debt but can cope with it easily and are not worried about it.

Real Madrid are now the strongest sports brand in the world and they wont be losing any sleep over that level of debt.

No other country would allow that debt? What about Man Utd?

Home of Barca Fans