Gerard Deulofeu

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You mean, like Pep "mismanaged" Bojan?

Shocking from you, pretty poor comparison

Last I checked, Bojan played plenty of matches & minutes with the 1st team - far different for Deulofeu who never got the time with the 1st team when even Jona Dos Santos did

FCBarca just uses every opportunity to slate everything about Rosell's tenure.

The list is long and only Sandy is the irresponsible

Deulofeu situation is his own making. No one mismanaged him.

You'd have to understand how player development/management works to actually make that sort of outlandish claim...The evidence is much to the contrary

Interestingly enough, for a player who only has himself to blame his transfer has a buyback option every year of the deal...The Rosell/Barto model of player development, let someone else do it

He has NOT been mismanaged. He has simply not shown enough application or discipline on the pitch. He needs to get it into his head that he is NOT CR7.

Everton is a poor choice. I would have loaned him to Porto or Benfica. Hell, loan him to Inter or Milan-they need players.

He joined the B team under Eusebio (The coach who developed zero players for the first team in 4 1/2 years), yet proceeded to become the Segunda player of the year by his 2nd season at the age of 19...Then loaned to Everton and Sevilla in successive seasons while barely appearing in preseason under Lucho last summer

Continuity figures largely into player development along with coaching & minutes...There isn't an aspect of that formula for success that the club provided for a player they have touted for years now

I do agree that I would've preferred him moving to a club like Ajax or Porto under Lopetegui but, again, loans are not the way the club develops their players/talent

Icarium

Lifestealer
You'd have to understand how player development/management works to actually make that sort of outlandish claim...The evidence is much to the contrary

Interestingly enough, for a player who only has himself to blame his transfer has a buyback option every year of the deal...The Rosell/Barto model of player development, let someone else do it

Barca includes buyback option on lot of transfers. Why do you think he was not given a single minute if second half of the season at Sevilla? It is a different situation if he works for the team and still doesn't get any minutes. His attitude at sevilla has made it clear that he is not for barca, whenever he entered on the pitch he played selfishly. He never showed any real maturity to begin with, you don't need that to perform well in segunda. It was obvious he is much talented than the other players in segunda and he had his fun but when he played against real teams he failed to adapt.

I don't want to get into discussion how rosell/barto runs the academy. But if you think his attitude didn't play the major part you are just wrong. He could have listened to his coaches. Emery told on several occasions that he is talented but he doesn't have the maturity to make it at top level.

Adversus

Barca includes buyback option on lot of transfers. Why do you think he was not given a single minute if second half of the season at Sevilla? It is a different situation if he works for the team and still doesn't get any minutes. His attitude at sevilla has made it clear that he is not for barca, whenever he entered on the pitch he played selfishly. He never showed any real maturity to begin with, you don't need that to perform well in segunda. It was obvious he is much talented than the other players in segunda and he had his fun but when he played against real teams he failed to adapt.

I don't want to get into discussion how rosell/barto runs the academy. But if you think his attitude didn't play the major part you are just wrong. He could have listened to his coaches. Emery told on several occasions that he is talented but he doesn't have the maturity to make it at top level.
He doesn't have the maturity to make at the top level yet. He still might. I always thought loaning to Sevilla was a mistake since I didn't think the tough love approach would work. He was developing well under Martinez, eased in initially, giving him a run in the league cup where he was a class above anyone on the pitch practically trying to win games by himself and often succeeding but similar to the first game in the 2nd half against fulham he tired badly yet still kept trying the same stuff and we went out. Martinez benched him for about a month and after bringing him back he was great and slightly more mature and more importantly fit however he was badly effected by his injury. I never thought he regained that kind of form afterwards for us. He had good moments certainly but never seemed quite the same. Looking at his early videos at Sevilla you can see he's regained his pace and fitness and while I'm delighted now we never got him a year ago since now he's joining on a perm you should have left him for that 2nd year. That's where the mistake was made.

However lets be honest. He was never replacing Neymar or Messi for the next 3 years anyway and a 21 year odd needs to play.

I think young players need consistency which is either permanent moves with buybacks or longer loan deals. Rotting on your bench doesn't help them in my opinion.

But anyway we're delighted.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
He didn't have the maturity to make at the top level yet. He still might. I always thought loaning to Sevilla was a mistake since I didn't think the tough love approach would work. He was developing well under Martinez, eased in initially, giving him a run in the league cup where he was a class above anyone on the pitch practically trying to win games by himself and often succeeding but in the similar to the first game in the 2nd half against fulham he tired badly yet still kept trying the same stuff and we went out. Martinez benched him for about a month and after bringing him back he was great and slightly more mature and more importantly fit however he was badly effected by his injury. I never thought he regained that kind of form afterwards for us. He had good moments certainly but never seemed quite the same. Looking at his early videos at Sevilla you can see he's regained his pace and fitness and while I'm delighted now we never got him a year ago since now he's joining on a perm you should have left him for that 2nd year. That's where the mistake was made.

I think young players need consistency which is either permanent moves with buybacks or longer loan deals. Rotting on your bench doesn't help them in my opinion.

But anyway we're delighted.

Hope he improves there then, EPL is more suited to him than la liga.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Barca includes buyback option on lot of transfers.

Not so coincidentally, a recent phenomena as well...Barcelona do not traditionally loan their cantera players and thereby rarely have had reason to include buyback clauses

Why do you think he was not given a single minute if second half of the season at Sevilla?

You failing to back up your argument thus far is only weakened by the need to now go on this tangent

It is a different situation if he works for the team and still doesn't get any minutes. His attitude at sevilla has made it clear that he is not for barca, whenever he entered on the pitch he played selfishly.

You're relying on your imagination coloured by unsubstantiated media innuendo

He never showed any real maturity to begin with, you don't need that to perform well in segunda.

Not sure which is worse, the absolute guesswork on his maturity or that you don't need it for Segunda

It was obvious he is much talented than the other players in segunda and he had his fun but when he played against real teams he failed to adapt.

Was that the case against Arsenal?...You've merely taken a faulty conclusion of some anonymous internet troll and repeated it until you lazily accepted it as fact

Makes more sense why you wouldn't want to discuss something that is so germane to the OP as how the academy is run, especially since Deulofeu & others are just that, academy players who I contend have been mismanaged - I'm far from alone in this conclusion either

The rest wrt to Deulofeu's alleged attitude etc. is the same repeated drivel that is unsubstantiated...It's the unimaginitive conclusion some may draw when a talent fails to develop

F

Flavia

Deulofeu has an attitude problem, [MENTION=711]FCBarca[/MENTION]. If he didn't, he'd be playing at Barca, as rafinha and munir did last season. It's past the point of blaming everyone else but him.

Icarium

Lifestealer
You failing to back up your argument thus far is only weakened by the need to now go on this tangent

It is a valid point to the discussion, he was given chances initially. It was not like sit on the fucking bench from the start. He failed to impress the coach.

You're relying on your imagination coloured by unsubstantiated media innuendo

I am relying solely on what i have seen from him on the pitch.

Not sure which is worse, the absolute guesswork on his maturity or that you don't need it for Segunda

Lets put it this way, the moves which he attempts right now have much higher success rate in segunda division compared to top level football.

Was that the case against Arsenal?...You've merely taken a faulty conclusion of some anonymous internet troll and repeated it until you lazily accepted it as fact

Again his talent was never questioned, i saw that match. He played like his usual self during that match, a goal won't change anything. It looks like he has to vision to make good passes but he just doesn't do it and instead prefers to beat the opponents constantly. If he can't make passes then it the development problem, but he persists to not make any passes. How can you defend it by saying he had bad management. No one will tell him don't pass always dribble, have a horsetunnel vision. Behave like a diva, you are the star of the team.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
“He has incredible qualities but lacks others. Put him out there, one on one and ... pfff,” Emery told Sid Lowe.

“But make him play football with teammates, on a big pitch, and it’s hard. He doesn’t have the maturity or capacity for sacrifice yet.

"I told him: 'There are players here who aspire to a contract like yours, men with less talent but more hunger: Iborra, Carriço, Vitolo. They know what it costs. You haven’t experienced that. When you do, you’ll grow. I hope you get that. If not here, somewhere else.'"

- Emery on Deulofeu

Says it all really.

Zangash

Banned
So professionals like lucho and emery are wrong? and you are right? Give me a break.

Who is saying anything like that? Emery just wants cheap rotational players. There's nothing wrong with that but it means his team is the last place we should be sending our young players. Lucho as well doesn't favor players of Deulofeu's type who typically operate only as wide wingers. His only front line callups have been strikers (Munir and Sandro) and even when our front line needs rest Pedro is often only brought on as a midfielder. It's not necessarily Deulofeu's fault he is several classes below our usual players and has a style the manager doesn't prefer for his attacking trio. Yeah, his attitude is obviously part of the problem but it's not nearly as overblown as some people like to make it out to be. If Deulofeu's only issue with Lucho was that he had a poor attitude Lucho would have whipped a better one into him himself.

The player was very clearly mismanaged and if you want to pin all of the blame on the player that's indicative of a deeper dislike for the player himself than anything. Imagine where Rafinha would be right now if we'd have loaned him to Valencia or Sevilla two seasons ago instead of Celta. He'd be benched just as Deulofeu and Denis were because he simply isn't good enough for those teams, and you'd be here saying it's all his fault- at least if you're consistent with your opinion, which most people here are not, myself included.

I'll bite the bullet and say I was wrong in wanting him not to return to Everton. The Sevilla loan spell was a disaster and he obviously played poorly in the few minutes he got from a desperate desire to show the coach and fans something that would get him more time. Compare his time with Everton, that saw him improving drastically even over the course of a single game, to his performances with Sevilla when he is given a 20-30 minute cameo after not playing for several months. It's easy to say it's his fault but the problem is far more obvious when you stop letting your dislike for the player foam around your mouth.

Icarium

Lifestealer
I was a big fan of deulofeu until the everton move. After lucho sent him on loan to sevilla, i thought he will be motivated to correct his play style and change his character. But that never happened and i was heavily disappointed. I want to be wrong more so that ever, i hope that only because of the management and coaches he became like this. I hope martinez makes him into an incredible winger and hope he shines in PL.

Home of Barca Fans