Gerard Deulofeu

Alg1878

The combination of Clyne's pace, being out on the left and no midfield from Everton made his job very difficult...Each time he was on the right, he got the best of the much heralded Luke Shaw...One time Lukaku should've put a delicious cross into the back of the net, the other he was through 1v1 on goal but incorrectly ruled offside...Of course, it was the disastrous Toffee defending that is the real story of the match

This blind defence of him is surreal. Yes we were poor today but he saw enough of the ball, on about 5 occasions he isolated the defender and had lots of space to use his ability but ended up getting the ball taken off him. He switched sides and carried on getting the ball taken off him. Him not being able to beat a defender is not down to any other player on the pitch.

The one thing he needs to learn is to not be so predictable, defenders seem to have worked him out already.

Adversus

McGeady did more in his first 5 minutes than Deulofeu did before he was taken off. For all you who think he should be getting more minutes. Do you think anyone decent in Spain would play him more?

I think he's lost that yard of pace since his injury. He hasn't looked anywhere near as threatening since.

Theconomist

We shouldn't yet lose hope with Deulofeu, maybe mentally he's not there anymore. I don't think he should stay in Everton regardless.
Terrible game today for a player as hyped as him.

Theconomist

Did he really lose his pace though? Thats one of his defining characters.

He didn't really have the chance to do anything serious. I stopped watching at half time tho but he only played 8 minutes afterwards.
I hope this year doesn't put a serious dent in his future progression, if he can't make it then we have a serious issue.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
This blind defence of him is surreal. Yes we were poor today but he saw enough of the ball, on about 5 occasions he isolated the defender and had lots of space to use his ability but ended up getting the ball taken off him. He switched sides and carried on getting the ball taken off him. Him not being able to beat a defender is not down to any other player on the pitch.

The one thing he needs to learn is to not be so predictable, defenders seem to have worked him out already.

The only two scoring chances before he was subbed off for Everton were courtesy of Deulofeu, plain & simple - you're free to review the match and see for yourself...As for having no midfield or having keystone cop defending, is that on Gerard?...That is surreal myopia

Know what you're talking about, first & foremost...Gerard is better on the right than left yet somehow he was pitted against a pacy defender in Clyne on the left...When he went right, he had the best of Shaw, the very heralded 'best English LB'

No one has figured out anything in the Premiership when it comes to Deulofeu, he's beaten just about every defender he's faced, easily & repeatedly...For Barcelona and its fans, that's not really revelatory...Moreover, he's never going to enjoy that much space with Barcelona so another reason why it's ultimately been a waste of time for him in Everton and the Premiership

And yes, your midfield was shite today...Call it fatigue or a lack of depth but they added nothing to building an attack until McGeady came on - who is a midfielder, btw...Barkley has been disappointing but being young, that can be expected - plus, who knows, perhaps he's not yet 100% fit...Wanyama easily had his way with him and meanwhile Barry was either getting caught out or always late to intercept passes or make the tackle

Last edited:

DinhoR10

He didn't really have the chance to do anything serious. I stopped watching at half time tho but he only played 8 minutes afterwards.
I hope this year doesn't put a serious dent in his future progression, if he can't make it then we have a serious issue.

Not really we have Adama, Halilovic and Munir but the more world class players the merrier.

Alg1878

We shouldn't yet lose hope with Deulofeu, maybe mentally he's not there anymore. I don't think he should stay in Everton regardless.
Terrible game today for a player as hyped as him.

It's not just today though, it's happen quite a lot this season even in the early part. At the moment he looks best coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes when the defender's legs are tiring.

Regarding the loss of pace, I don't think this is the case as Clyne and Shaw are very quick but defenders have realised that he's quite reluctant to use his left foot. If he's playing on the right he will try and get to the line and if he is playing on the left he always wants to cut in. He just needs to mi it up a bit to make himself less predictable.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

Someone's definitely not there mentally but it's not Gerard

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
The only two scoring chances before he was subbed off for Everton were courtesy of Deulofeu, plain & simple - you're free to review the match and see for yourself...As for having no midfield or having keystone cop defending, is that on Gerard?...That is surreal myopia

Know what you're talking about, first & foremost...Gerard is better on the right than left yet somehow he was pitted against a pacy defender in Clyne on the left...When he went right, he had the best of Shaw, the very heralded 'best English LB'

No one has figured out anything in the Premiership when it comes to Deulofeu, he's beaten just about every defender he's faced, easily & repeatedly...For Barcelona and its fans, that's not really revelatory...Moreover, he's never going to enjoy that much space with Barcelona so another reason why it's ultimately been a waste of time for him in Everton and the Premiership

And yes, your midfield was shite today...Call it fatigue or a lack of depth but they added nothing to building an attack until McGeady came on - who is a midfielder, btw...Barkley has been disappointing but being young, that can be expected - plus, who knows, perhaps he's not yet 100% fit...Wanyama easily had his way with him and meanwhile Barry was either getting caught out or always late to intercept passes or make the tackle
+1 the whole Everton team played like shit the midfield was non-existent. Deu was at least trying to make chances unlike the rest of the team. You could have put Messi there but without the ball even he can't do anything

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
We can debate all we want on how good Gerard is currently.

It truly doesn't matter as logically, it leads down to one road: He'd be much better off developing somewhere in Spain the way Rafinha has. Whether he deserved more playing time or not, Everton simply isn't the place for him to grow as a player.

Last year it was Deulo wrecking teams in Segunda while Rafinha was relatively unimpressive in relation to the amount of expectation we had for him. This year, the progress shows clearly under two different managers. Lucho didn't even stick Rafa in the starting lineup till around October, after refining him as a footballer. He changed his role to one that got the very best of his qualities and made him grow into his potential. Rafinha is now an absolute workhorse in midfield AND a much better quality player

Deulofeu on the other hand is stuck with Everton's rather disorganized style (which has been a success for them) in a chaotic league. He's been given tough love by Roberto and that made him into a harder worker, but as a player he hasn't improved at all. He needs a coach that'll guide him and force him to focus his abilities and improve his style. He needs to do that in a more controlled and tactical environment than the wild EPL.

I'd tend to agree that Deulo hasn't done well at Everton and that he's not significantly deserving of more playing time. The thing is, that argument doesn't mean he should stay at Everton another year. If anything, it's a testament to how he will not grow there. I have no doubt that Lucho can take this raw youngster and develop him onto the right path, someone that Barca would gladly accept into the team and who could fight for a starting position. Imagine Deulofeu with the same progression rate as Rafinha, and then try to give me a reasonable reason as to why he shouldn't go there. Hint: you probably can't.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
We can debate all we want on how good Gerard is currently.

It truly doesn't matter as logically, it leads down to one road: He'd be much better off developing somewhere in Spain the way Rafinha has. Whether he deserved more playing time or not, Everton simply isn't the place for him to grow as a player.

Last year it was Deulo wrecking teams in Segunda while Rafinha was relatively unimpressive in relation to the amount of expectation we had for him. This year, the progress shows clearly under two different managers. Lucho didn't even stick Rafa in the starting lineup till around October, after refining him as a footballer. He changed his role to one that got the very best of his qualities and made him grow into his potential. Rafinha is now an absolute workhorse in midfield AND a much better quality player

Deulofeu on the other hand is stuck with Everton's rather disorganized style (which has been a success for them) in a chaotic league. He's been given tough love by Roberto and that made him into a harder worker, but as a player he hasn't improved at all. He needs a coach that'll guide him and force him to focus his abilities and improve his style. He needs to do that in a more controlled and tactical environment than the wild EPL.

I'd tend to agree that Deulo hasn't done well at Everton and that he's not significantly deserving of more playing time. The thing is, that argument doesn't mean he should stay at Everton another year. If anything, it's a testament to how he will not grow there. I have no doubt that Lucho can take this raw youngster and develop him onto the right path, someone that Barca would gladly accept into the team and who could fight for a starting position. Imagine Deulofeu with the same progression rate as Rafinha, and then try to give me a reasonable reason as to why he shouldn't go there. Hint: you probably can't.

:worthy: Don Andres does it again

F

Flavia

I think he should had chosen a liga side... the epl and the money it's what probably seduced him, though.

Home of Barca Fans