Gerard Piqué

Birdy

[MENTION=21238]barca[/MENTION]Times
?
2h
����| Xavi has come to the conclusion that Gerard Pique no longer has the level required for big games. It’s pretty much a given that this is Pique’s last year at Barca. [
@fansjavimiguel
] #fcblive

Too late now.

Like I said before the game, I would have played Alonso Eric and Balde just to not Pique see the pitch

Horatio

You're welcome
?
2h
����| Xavi has come to the conclusion that Gerard Pique no longer has the level required for big games. It’s pretty much a given that this is Pique’s last year at Barca. [
@fansjavimiguel
] #fcblive

Too late now.

Like I said before the game, I would have played Alonso Eric and Balde just to not Pique see the pitch

Isn't that tweet getting repeated? Or maybe last time it was "It has become clear to Xavi he can't rely on Pique and Alba anymore."

In Xavi's defense think he only played Pique today cause Araujo and Kounde were not available. I mean, there is a reason Pique kept getting benched in la Liga. It certainly was not because he cheated on Shakira.

M3ls

A note by a former analyst of FC Zenit where Malcolm now plays.

"The fact that Pique is not good 1v1 on space and fails in difficult high-speed episodes is no longer news, but such mistakes as with the first goal are surprising: episodes that should be the bread of an experienced defender. The first thing that draws attention is that for the whole long episode (even before the ball goes out) he does not check his shoulder at all (and does not see what is in his back), concentrating on the ball (and taking into account what is in front of him). At the same time, not fully seeing the moment, he shows with his hands that the situation is under control ... "

If Gerard had checked at least once what was happening behind his back, he would have simply intercepted this throw. But self-confidence played a cruel joke on him and may have cost Barcelona the Champions League playoffs:

Jaguar

Flair Trait
The fact he didn't look over his shoulder when he was by far the last defender, makes me more than annoyed. When it first happened I was quite weirded out by it but because its Pique I just accepted it. But the more I watch it and think about it, the more I suspect this wasn't accidental error, and in fact very on purpose. A man who a lot of the fans don't really like, know he's done, replaced by 3 other CBs who are injured, annoyed at the board with precious money issues, knows they want him out too. I'm sorry but this man shouldn't play a single match for Barcelona again. I'm more convinced that wasn't completely accidental the more I see it.

Horatio

You're welcome
The fact he didn't look over his shoulder when he was by far the last defender, makes me more than annoyed. When it first happened I was quite weirded out by it but because its Pique I just accepted it. But the more I watch it and think about it, the more I suspect this wasn't accidental error, and in fact very on purpose. A man who a lot of the fans don't really like, know he's done, replaced by 3 other CBs who are injured, annoyed at the board with precious money issues, knows they want him out too. I'm sorry but this man shouldn't play a single match for Barcelona again. I'm more convinced that wasn't completely accidental the more I see it.

It was accidental lol. But head definitely somewhere else.

mc_lovin

?
2h
����| Xavi has come to the conclusion that Gerard Pique no longer has the level required for big games. It?s pretty much a given that this is Pique?s last year at Barca. [
@fansjavimiguel
] #fcblive

Too late now.

Alonso, Eric and Balde looks like a trainwreck on paper as well. We have two (or three with Christensen) good defenders and when they are injured we are fucked. Not a single reliable fullback either.

People bash Xavi, but fuck me, the individual errors in defence fucked us more than anything.

feggydinho

Nah, it was accidental but a very silly mistake from Pique.

If you look again, you'll observe that Alonso and Gavi were closer to the Inter player that sneaked in and scored, so nobody was at the back initially and Pique was the last man with Dzeko so he probably all was safe while waiting for the keeper to get the ball before that Inter guy sneaked in.

Alonso was also closer to him but probably had his mind on the Inter guy at the wing, so Pique lapse in attention in that split second cost us a heavy goal

Sailor Mars

Xavi was a bit unlucky that the defenders he has available to him are all slowpokes (other than Balde but he is too weak and definitely would've been bullied around by Dzeko). Kounde and Araujo are modern defenders who can aggressively retrieve the ball and have the physicality to take more risks, unlike the slowpokes who always have to back off and invite extra pressure.

A modern, athletic defense can win the ball back faster and pass it onto midfielders further up the field. Need a proper RB as well as another LB to replace Alba/Alonso.

And of course a DM replacement too.

JohnN

Xavi: So, Gerard.. you need to watch for long balls and get back.
Pique: This is too confusing for me.

Was it like that? What was his issue exactly?

Home of Barca Fans