Gerard Piqué

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Confessions of a writer

I have a confession. This is a subject I have been anxious to write about ever since the signing of Dmytro Chygrynskiy (’Chyggy’ henceforth in this article), and although I tried to wait until more appearances, I decided to write it now amidst the increasing criticism over the Ukrainian’s performances and transfer.

As you can presume by the title, I am not going to speak of Chyggy alone, but rather enquire about the back four combinations that include him, and the differences between them. The main focus, also hinted in the title, will be the partnership with Gerard Pique, who is arguably Barcelona’s first choice CB, taking into account the problems of benching Puyol.

Two Piques are better than one?

Again, the title says it all, Two towers ready to fend off any incoming ball, whether high or low, in order to keep the opposition away from the box. Only problem, so far, it is yet prove itself efficient. During Saturday’s game against Mallorca, one of the opposition’s corner almost ended up with the ball in Valdes’ net after Pique and Chyggy both missed a header to the rather easy lob (KO – to the rather easy lob?? what does that mean now?), with the Spaniard slightly deflecting the ball off its original course to meet the Ukrainian’s head.

In what might have been Pique’s worst performance since he returned to Catalunya, it was evident that neither he nor Chyggy truly knew their role on the pitch, and that Guardiola had failed to explain them their tasks. When Pique plays with Puyol, it is quite clear that Puyol is in charge of man marking and Pique is of clearance and relieving pressure.

This is due to the differences between the duo. Puyol is shorter, but stronger and faster, while Pique is tall, slow and yet posses great technical skills. This also allows Pique to play as the back four’s playmaker, assisting Xavi when he is under pressure. The problem with Chyggy is that he and Pique are too much alike, and that often causes mix-ups, as you lose the qualities Puyol and Marquez has to offer. It is unclear as to who goes forward and when, and where to position during set pieces, and finally when to switch positions. All of these are matters to be handled by Guardiola and Vilanova, with the help of both players.

The way I see it, Chyggy is physically stronger then Pique, and is better at air play, while Pique is a bit faster and technically superior, although Chyggy doesn’t lack in that department either. Based on that, I believe it is safe to say that between the two, Chyggy is the one to usually stays behind, but given the chance he should not hesitate going forward and deploy his killer passes, while Pique covers for him.

Puyol kissing the captain armband after scoring against Real Madrid at the Santiago Barnabeu

The Puyol Effect

Questions has been raised recently regarding El Captain’s future with Barca, mainly after Chyggy’s transfer. Regardless to his age, Puyol is one of the best defenders presently, and is Barca’s only cover for the right-back position (without taking youth players into account). And of course one must not forget Puyol’s leadership skills. This is where things get complicated. How do you choose who to field when you have the captain of the team, a revelation of center-back, and a 25 million euros signing? The answer is simple: Patience.

Chyggy turned 23 last week, and not once has Guardiola has mentioned that he is the one for the future. He needs to settle in, understand the tactics, the language, the Barca philosophy. He needs to understand his team mates, learn how to communicate and work with them. It is going to take time, whether it is a whole season, like Thierry Henry, or after ten games, like Daniel Alves. And yes, there is a possibility it might not happen at all. But the truth is Chyggy is a center-back just like the book says: strong, tall, can handle the ball, and if I may say, quite the opposite of a so called Barca ‘flop’ Martin Caceres. Perhaps Guardiola learned from his mistakes.

Expectations

As hard as it is to predict Guardiola, and even harder to predict player form, Chyggy is probably not going to play as much as Pique did last year. Unlike Alves or Ibrahimovic, who did not have the time to settle since they were first choice in their position right after their arrival, Chyggy is going to be eased into it. He will get more and more playing time, even if it takes next season as well, until Guardiola sees it fit to make him a starter. But one thing is certain: unless they are unfit, Puyol and Pique are going to start in the El Clasico.

Marquez is yet to find his best form, and Chyggy simply cannot convince Guardiola in one game (Athletic). Besides, can anyone forget Puyol’s super-jump that gave us the lead during the Clasico humiliation last year? This is where we need Puyol most. Chyggy cannot yet fully understand the meaning of the Clasico, while Puyol might just play against dinosaurs if Real’s starting line-up would consist of 11 T-Rexes. Still, Puyol is getting older and while he is progressing towards the last stages of his career, he will be there to ensure that all of the knowledge he acquired during his 14 year spell in Barcelona is not wasted. So that one day, in the near future, Pique and Chyggy could form the dream center-back partnership dubbed ‘The Two Towers’.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Solid performance, and a goal again.

That's right, rip his shirt off!
fa0iro.jpg

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
wat was sir alex thinking

That Evans, the kung-fu kid, is the world beater may be!?
I even had to endure some of my friends, who are ManUtd fans, say Pique is crap compared to Evans, who's also 1 year younger than Pique... So they wanted me to imagine how dreadful the kung-fu kid would be once he gains as much experience as Pique did last season. And all I had to say was ..!.. because they weren't ready to accept that Fergi had got it all wrong when he let go of Pique for mere 5mill

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
wat was sir alex thinking

piqué wanted to go home, and his contract expired at the end of the following season, and jonny evans has about the same level of potential and wouldn't ever wanna leave united.

although I still think had someone else come in for him he'd have told them to fuck off. but coz it was us, piqué's desire to leave was that much stronger.

either way, best bit of business we've done in a looooooooooong time.

veryfatchocobo

piqué wanted to go home, and his contract expired at the end of the following season, and jonny evans has about the same level of potential and wouldn't ever wanna leave united.

although I still think had someone else come in for him he'd have told them to fuck off. but coz it was us, piqué's desire to leave was that much stronger.

either way, best bit of business we've done in a looooooooooong time.

Exactly. Pique wanted back here when we attempted to re-offer for his services. SAF had no choice. Besides, he has a good defender in the name of Johnny Evans that would be more willing to stay in Man U more than Pique, who had his heart on Barça and Man U.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
If Chyg starts ahead of Puyol I will be so livid. Chyg isn't ready for the Clasico, Puyol was built for Clasicos.

veryfatchocobo

No way Chygy will play in El Clasico.... I'd be ok if Pique was benched in favor of Chygy since Puyol's a different defender than he, but Puyol not in the Center is a big NO since we'd be forced to play the same defenders at the same time.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Messi and Ibrahimovic were absent from the Inter match but the response of the team was decisive.

We always knew we could win, but it is the Camp Nou crowd that really lifted our spirits to confront Inter. For me this team is the equivalent or better than last year’s, and there are times when we don’t need to play our cracks to win. No matter who plays, we can always win because we are a team. And if the crowd is behind us like they did against Inter, it will be tough for anyone to beat us.

Before the match, did you ever think, at any moment, that you could be eliminated from the Champions League?

No, not personally because we are playing in front of our own fans. Of course, there is that chance, as can happen in the next round, the quarters or semis. To win trophies you have to go through matches like that of Inter but the team is already used to it.

Now, it would be a sin to miss the knockout stage…

It did not even cross our mind. We will go to Kiev to secure the top spot because it is very important in determining our opponent. After yesterday’s (Tuesday) match, we are very relaxed.

How is Eto’o?

Thrilled, after playing here for so many years, return and play in another jersey, he felt strange.

Eto’o said he wants to be in the final at the Bernabeu.

Hopefully, it will also mean that Barca is in the final. I wish the same for him.

Was the Inter match the team’s best this season?

I do not know if it was the best match because I think this season, I would dare say that we are playing even better than in the past, but it is true that when we drew the last three away matches and lost the league lead it does create some doubts, but ultimately, (in truth) we have only lost one competitive match all season. I think everyone should have some confidence in this team and yesterday’s match was a clear example that this team has yet to peak mentally and physically. (i.e. achieve the win while not at full strength)

The win against Inter; what impact will it have on el Clasico?

The team sees the result against Inter as something very positive as it lifted our confidence and gave us that assured feeling. Having the Champions League qualification back on track puts us in the best state of mind for el Clasico.

Are you looking to regain the lead?

That is our intention, but then in football there are going to be circumstances that is beyond our control, but we will be going for the win and for the lead, that’s for sure

In Madrid, they (media) are trying to sell the idea that with Cristiano playing, Barcelona is anxious. Is that even true?

I don’t think I need to entertain that notion. They (media) have this idea that Real is a better team with Cristiano, but I don’t think so. But I do believe in my team, whoever plays the match, we will always push (for the win), no matter who the opponent is. If we play well, the normal result is usually a win for us.

Besides, you know him well (from your Manchester United days), and you beat him in the Champions League final in Rome…

Yes, the truth is that I will do it again. I trained with him for three or four years and have seen the matches that he has played here. He is clearly a danger as he is one of the three best players in the world and is very unpredictable, but we are the best defence there is.

Is it good for him to play just off an injury?

Truth is, it doesn’t matter to me. All I know is, this Sunday I will be at the Camp Nou.

Will Ibra and Messi be there too?

I think they will. I’m not the team doctor, but I think they have improved a lot from their injuries and not playing against Inter can only be good for them to recover fully.

The team overcame Inter with authority, what now? Another 6-2 win over Madrid?

It’s a nice memory, but on Sunday we have to leave the past behind and concentrate on the game, which is crucial as it will be a tough match, but as always one we will go for the win.

Do you hate the fact that Madrid played badly than Barcelona and yet, lead the table?

That has always happened (in the footballing world). Barca have a culture of football that treats the ball well, and with Madrid, they are more liberal with it but with the players and stars they have, they will get results from their matches. It doesn’t disappoint us, they do it their way and we, ours. But you win the league through consistency and by accumulating the points (in any way shape or form). The key here is being consistent.

How would you define the fans during the match against Inter?

They are spectacular. Whenever we needed them, the fans have been there for us, and that is one of the characteristics of this club. When the team needs them, we know they’ll always be there.

On Sunday, will that be repeated?

I would ask them to be there as they were against Inter. That support we are getting from the stands, the attention they gave, the affection, and the excitement they build up from the very first minute may not seem to affect us but we felt it on the pitch.

Did Pep win the tactical battle against Mourinho?

I think we played as we usually do. The problem is that we played without two of our cracks (star players) and that created uncertainty. But our coach’s game-plan is always the same.

Besides Cristiano, is there anything that you want to highlight about Madrid?

I think they are more solid defensively. They are less creative than past seasons but it is more difficult to dominate them, and they are relying more on counter-attacking moves. This year, it will be harder for them to win the league though, as they are still adapting to each other and to the team play.

Finally, do you have any scoreline prediction for el Clasico?

I’m not one to predict results because they are never met. I want to win, and I don’t care if it’s 1-0 and scored in the last minute.

Home of Barca Fans