Gerard Piqué

big_man

He was one of the reasons they didn't create anything up until that point. He had several great interceptions and tackles.

Nope, that would be Mascherano, Busquets and even Alves

EDIT: Whoscored seem to confirm what I was watching

Mascherano 8 tackles, 5 interceptions 6 clearances
Pique 2 tackles, 2 interceptions 3 clearances

Night and day.

Even then, I'd say Mascherano only had an OK game considering the mess that happened 15 mins before full time. Listen I'd say I'm one of the most optimistic supporters on this form, but let's call a spade a spade, Pique IS a weak link in that defense.

Last edited:

fcbdna

Banned
I wish I could be more constructive with my criticism, but I am really pissed right now, even though we won. . . . So, I will just go ahead and say it how it is. Pique is absolute :shit:

Last edited:

Trickykid

Night and day.

Even then, I'd say Mascherano only had an OK game considering the mess that happened 15 mins before full time. Listen I'd say I'm one of the most optimistic supporters on this form, but let's call a spade a spade, Pique IS a weak link in that defense.
Are you kidding?
Masch was awesome, and those stats are through the roof.
If you really want to base your argument on stats from Whoscored, though, Pique's stats aren't bad at all by any means. You even post the stats here for all to see, and still claim that he had NO influence on shutting down Sevilla for most of the game. Get real, will you.

fcbdna

Banned

Night and day.

A DM vs a Natural CB. . . . What a shame!

big_man

Are you kidding?
Masch was awesome, and those stats are through the roof.
If you really want to base your argument on stats from Whoscored, though, Pique's stats aren't bad at all by any means. You even post the stats here for all to see, and still claim that he had NO influence on shutting down Sevilla for most of the game. Get real, will you.

Get real? What? :lol:
I posted only the Masch stats to show that he was the one that should be attributed the compliment of stopping a lot of Sevilla's attacks in the first 75 mins, NOT pique. Heck, even Busquets and Alves had more tackles and interceptions, so your assertion had no grounds I'm sorry.

Even forgetting the stats, this much was obvious from watching the game. The fact that a DM (who also has his own flaws) is by far the standout performer in a back four Pique is in tells you all you need to know.

Lastly, the team conceding those two goals the way they did took some points off Mascherano's otherwise excellent performance in the first 75 mins, which is why I said it was only an "OK" performance. Having a good game in a team that were quite bad defensively is a credit to him not a disservice.

Pique on the other hand was NOT the standout defensive player in the first 75 minutes. YET, he was the worst culprit when Sevilla started getting some joy. Getting turned so easily, nowhere to be found in the set piece (and the previous one, thankfully that goal was disallowed).

How one can honestly sit there and said he had a good game is absolutely outstanding, I'll let you carry on though.

Trickykid

Get real? What? :lol:
I posted only the Masch stats to show that he was the one that should be attributed the compliment of stopping a lot of Sevilla's attacks in the first 75 mins, NOT pique. Heck, even Busquets and Alves had more tackles and interceptions, so your assertion had no grounds I'm sorry.

Even forgetting the stats, this much was obvious from watching the game. The fact that a DM (who also has his own flaws) is by far the standout performer in a back four Pique is in tells you all you need to know.

Lastly, the team conceding those two goals the way they did took some points off Mascherano's otherwise excellent performance in the first 75 mins, which is why I said it was only an "OK" performance. Having a good game in a team that were quite bad defensively is a credit to him not a disservice.

Pique on the other hand was NOT the standout defensive player in the first 75 minutes. YET, he was the worst culprit when Sevilla started getting some joy. Getting turned so easily, nowhere to be found in the set piece (and the previous one, thankfully that goal was disallowed).

How one can honestly sit there and said he had a good game is absolutely outstanding, I'll let you carry on though.

I'm not sure if you truly are thick or just having a hard time reading, but I never claimed he was the standout player. I said he was ONE (1) of the reasons they were kept at bay.
And suddenly you decide to try to further strenghtening your point by talking about the events that occurred after the first Sevilla goal. Again, if you actually bother reading and understanding my post, you'd see that I was only refering to his performance prior to the goal.

Oh, and Masch isn't a DM, and hasn't been for several seasons now. That should be obvious to most people really.

fcbdna

Banned
I'm not sure if you truly are thick or just having a hard time reading, but I never claimed he was the standout player. I said he was ONE (1) of the reasons they were kept at bay.
And suddenly you decide to try to further strenghtening your point by talking about the events that occurred after the first Sevilla goal. Again, if you actually bother reading and understanding my post, you'd see that I was only refering to his performance prior to the goal.

Oh, and Masch isn't a DM, and hasn't been for several seasons now. That should be obvious to most people really.

Yeah, and FCB's traditional colors are white and gold stripes.

big_man

Right, so he wasn't the standout (or second best) defensive player in the best part of Barca's game defensively where Sevilla were limited to a mighty 3 shots damn near all game.
Then when Barca actually started to get pressured for just 10-15 minutes, he was one of the worst defensive players, yet, he had a good game (or something)...righto!

Trickykid

Right, so he wasn't the standout (or second best) defensive player in the best part of Barca's game defensively where Sevilla were limited to a mighty 3 shots damn near all game.
Then when Barca actually started to get pressured for just 10-15 minutes, he was one of the worst defensive players, yet, he had a good game (or something)...righto!
Are you high? Seriously?
This all began with me agreeing with someone claiming that Pique had a good game up until the first Sevilla goal. That's all. Stop sprouting your gibberish pretty please.

Der Kaiser

goal.lol gave him 3.5/5 stars, I dont know what you guys are talking about. :VdB:

He played alright IMO, got schooled for rakitic´s goal though. Im more worried about set pieces...

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Piqué had a good game indeed.

Correct, he was actually pretty good tonight... Sure, he could have done a little better in their first goal, but Sevilla's player had plenty of space and made some unexpected moves so it's really hard to point at Piqué...

As Der Kaiser said, set pieces and corners are the real concern...

Home of Barca Fans