Gerard Piqué

lostchild

I had wondered this myself and I came to the conclusion that it was for maybe two reasons. The first being to make use of Piques long diagonal passing. The other being because Pique brings the ball out of defence often, it conveniently moved him closer to Xavi our main playmaker. As for defensive reasons, I'm not sure.

i would prefer him to stay back and let Mascherano be the "puyol ball playing" defender... he's quicker and he actually WAS a DM and used to be closer to the midfielders..

Irish_Cules

does anyone know (or can guess) why we now use Pique as the RCB along with Alves on the right side?
back in the good old times when it was Puyol+Pique, Puyol was always the RCB and Pique was always the LCB, im guessing because Puyol feels better on the right.
but that was for the good because everytime (if) Alves lost possesion somewhere on the attack or just lost his man, Puyol was there to back him up, as he reads the game amazingly.
and i just wondered today, maybe thats somewhat of a reason to why today we have so many holes in the defense
Pique needs to some how cover for Alves, but is too slow and is not that brilliant at reading the game 1000 steps ahead like Puyol.. and imo not even like Mascherano, theres nothing like those amazing slides/tackles of Masch when he comes from the back to stop a move 5 seconds before its even happening.

I'm pretty sure it was always Pique on the right, Puyol on the left, as seen in this video from el classico in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XGjmiQkc4

Pique was basically a replacement for Marquez who used to spread cross field passes from the right side of the central defence. Pique was the perfect ball playing centre back for a while, it's a shame to see his decline.

Stric

Pique: "We exaggerated our style maybe until a point where we were slaves of it. Tata has the same idea, but also offers other options."

Hit the nail on the head with that first part. Very well said.

lostchild

i think u are wrong

besides this game im sure i always saw Puyol as RCB . but oh well

I'm pretty sure it was always Pique on the right, Puyol on the left, as seen in this video from el classico in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XGjmiQkc4

Pique was basically a replacement for Marquez who used to spread cross field passes from the right side of the central defence. Pique was the perfect ball playing centre back for a while, it's a shame to see his decline.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Pique: "We exaggerated our style maybe until a point where we were slaves of it. Tata has the same idea, but also offers other options."

Hit the nail on the head with that first part. Very well said.

I wrote a post not to long ago saying the same thing. I'm glad the players are recognizing it and tata saw the error. Attachment to one way is limiting yourself, tremendously, no matter how effective it can be in certain circumstamces. The greatest style is no style, or similarly all styles. Gotta be flexible you know. Be water my friend? Put it into a cup, it becomes the cup... eh I'm sure you've heard it before :D

CatalinR10

BUJOt6aCQAAd2TI.jpg

Home of Barca Fans