Gerard Piqué

pEllee

City won't sell Kompany, that's for sure and Garay wasn't even good enough for Real, I don't know about Benatia and Mangala, never seen them play, but are world class? Neither of them played CL nor they have a lot of international experience, so they are not tested in big matches and could become another flops like Chigrinskiy was.

Really? Not the first time I've seen a similar comment and it's quite baffling really. Are you trying to suggest that the Serie A is similar to the Ukrainian league?

------

Anyway, as for all the stats; Curties Davies is a world class defender, according to whoscored. Adrian Ramos is the 5th best player in the world, according to whoscored. So ye...

Last edited:

Antimadridista1

Some splendid posting by The Observer (not just on here).

The excuses given for Pique, so far: Shakira, CB partner, Alves, Alba, Valdes, Busquets, Referee, pitch conditions, weather .....I'm sure as we go along, there will more additions to that list.

And there are some who are lauding him for having a "good season". Talk about lowering standards. A club of this stature demands consistency, and absolute commitment. Piqué offers neither. That he required Pep and Puyol to discipline him, then be outshone by a converted CB, currently hoping a new acquisition baby-sits him, is all one needs to know about Piqué the defender. His game lacks tact or any sense of discretion. Even worse, is when he runs his mouth after a defeat. Neither his game nor personality is inspiring.
There is a notion that he's God's gift to Barca, and there isn't anyone who could 've done better. I don't see why with similar endless opportunities, and backing Piqué received, a defender with sound fundamentals, and heart wouldn't 've delivered or even proved better. Its not like there is any one particular trait of Piqué that actually stands out. He's no leader, organiser, or displays an impeccable game reading, not a clean tackler, or even potent in the air. As a pure defender, he's average. Yes, he can make those diagonal passes, but so can mascherano, and better. Some culés are just way too sentimental regarding some Barca players, and fail to admit their failings even if its blatantly evident.

I find semi-neutral's fascination for mediocre players, quite bizarre. Player in the avatar not included, though that's one punchable face I've seen of Iker.

Everyone in this forum should read this post. :hooray:

The Observer

Semi-neutral is overdoing the "defending our players at all cost" part the same way DonAndres sees world class potential in every Spanish player ever. Including Aspas. :p

However Pique is the least defendable player in the entire squad. Because his problem is clearly attitude. Alexis was missing sitters left and right last season. I had a tough time hating him because he clearly tried and worked his ass off. I felt sorry for him. There is no reason or excuse for Pique to get outmuscled by Robinho though. Go and hit the gym, problem fixed. But instead you see pictures like this ...

m68kmf6l.jpg

f65gab5v.png

My last 2 cents for now. I feel like beating a dead horse.

Last edited:
G

Gascav

City won't sell Kompany, that's for sure and Garay wasn't even good enough for Real, I don't know about Benatia and Mangala, never seen them play, but are world class? Neither of them played CL nor they have a lot of international experience, so they are not tested in big matches and could become another flops like Chigrinskiy was.

Your post :facepalm:
May be city won't sell kompany. But how many players does madrid sell even though they are good enough. Robben, schneidjer were all not good enough for madrid. Garay wasnt ready back then. There is a reason to why he is a top cb in their league and plays for the argentinian national team.
Mangala plays for porto and has ucl experience. He is a 19 year old, already a french international . He and varane are the future Cb pairing of france, he is very good. Benatia has been a wonderful player for a while now playing for udinese and now roma. Best Cb in serie A and the reason to why roma is among the five teams that have conceded the least goals in europe,

Ofcourse by your point we should be going for big name marquees like david luiz just because they played in ucl, and international competitions. Good luck in getting one of them, let's see how you can take them from their respective clubs! Quality is quality.
I wished you had made better points than those

G

Gascav

Some splendid posting by The Observer (not just on here).

The excuses given for Pique, so far: Shakira, CB partner, Alves, Alba, Valdes, Busquets, Referee, pitch conditions, weather .....I'm sure as we go along, there will more additions to that list.

And there are some who are lauding him for having a "good season". Talk about lowering standards. A club of this stature demands consistency, and absolute commitment. Piqué offers neither. That he required Pep and Puyol to discipline him, then be outshone by a converted CB, currently hoping a new acquisition baby-sits him, is all one needs to know about Piqué the defender. His game lacks tact or any sense of discretion. Even worse, is when he runs his mouth after a defeat. Neither his game nor personality is inspiring.
There is a notion that he's God's gift to Barca, and there isn't anyone who could 've done better. I don't see why with similar endless opportunities, and backing Piqué received, a defender with sound fundamentals, and heart wouldn't 've delivered or even proved better. Its not like there is any one particular trait of Piqué that actually stands out. He's no leader, organiser, or displays an impeccable game reading, not a clean tackler, or even potent in the air. As a pure defender, he's average. Yes, he can make those diagonal passes, but so can mascherano, and better. Some culés are just way too sentimental regarding some Barca players, and fail to admit their failings even if its blatantly evident.

I find semi-neutral's fascination for mediocre players, quite bizarre. Player in the avatar not included, though that's one punchable face I've seen of Iker.

Best comment ever! Here is some music for you :guitar:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Stop this nonsense. With your way of "analysing" centerbacks Mascherano is the best centerback in the world by a distance as he is averaging 3.5 tackles per game (more than anyone else on your list by far, 3.5 times more than T. Silva) and 2.9 interceptions per game (also higher than anyone else on your list).

Your statistics don't even take into account that all those players play in different leagues, for different teams with different styles, against different teams that set up differently. How can you even compare the amount of interceptions Dante makes in Bundesliga at Bayern who are averaging > 70 % possession and press high up the pitch and cut out most of the danger before it reaches the backline with the amount of interceptions Cahill makes in the Premier League playing for Chelsea? A team sitting deep, playing on the counter and playing a completely different style of defense. Does the average Premier League player attempt the same quality of throughballs as the average Bundesliga player? Do your statistics take into account the quality of each individual tackle? Obviously not every tackle has the same quality. And so on and so forth.

According to Whoscored Thiago Alcantara is now a better dribbler and better passer than Messi.

Just ... stop it.

Remind me of that quote from Benjamin Disraeli that said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." :VdB:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Your post :facepalm:
May be city won't sell kompany. But how many players does madrid sell even though they are good enough. Robben, schneidjer were all not good enough for madrid. Garay wasnt ready back then. There is a reason to why he is a top cb in their league and plays for the argentinian national team.
Mangala plays for porto and has ucl experience. He is a 19 year old, already a french international . He and varane are the future Cb pairing of france, he is very good. Benatia has been a wonderful player for a while now playing for udinese and now roma. Best Cb in serie A and the reason to why roma is among the five teams that have conceded the least goals in europe,

Ofcourse by your point we should be going for big name marquees like david luiz just because they played in ucl, and international competitions. Good luck in getting one of them, let's see how you can take them from their respective clubs! Quality is quality.
I wished you had made better points than those

I am very sorry that my reasoning is so weak Sir. :lol:
Mangala is 23 already and yes I see that he played in UCL and one game for France national team, on the other hand Benatia never played in CL. And why shouldn't we go for big names if we considered to be the best club?

G

Gascav

I am very sorry that my reasoning is so weak Sir. :lol:
Mangala is 23 already and yes I see that he played in UCL and one game for France national team, on the other hand Benatia never played in CL. And why shouldn't we go for big names if we considered to be the best club?

Because not all big names are the best players. David luiz, a big name is he the best option No! Thiago silva, kompany are all good but unattainable. By the way look at CB rankings for these two seasons and you will see these guys ranked above those big names you are suggesting. Barca doesnt have to be a place for big games but rather a place for big talents.
Benatia has played in the Serie A and in the Europa league, he smells world class because of his talent.
Again your reasoning is pitiful

hulinat

We should buy Angbwa from Anzhi Makchakwhatevertheclubsnameis. He is so scary that forwards will just give the ball to him.
53738_ori_benoit_angbwa.jpg

Home of Barca Fans