Gerard Piqué

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Your statistics don't even take into account that all those players play in different leagues, for different teams with different styles, against different teams that set up differently.

A team sitting deep, playing on the counter and playing a completely different style of defense.

But he is ! Thiago Alcantara, best player that ever played the game of football, the undisputed king of the game, Messi who?

... It's like I don't even need to bother writing things in original posts, because people seem to have a remarkable tendency of ignoring them...

Let me preface by saying that stats aren't everything, and please don't derive that from this post.
And then you have to look at the statistics and what they actually mean.
But then you have to think about his role in the team.
Or look at Cahill, the polar opposite. We all know Chelsea sits back and plays 27 billion DMs
What good teams have PSG played? ... Monaco? Leverkusen? .. I guess Lille are decent?
Bundesliga is a lot weaker and they've only played three good teams this season

Like what would that wall of text have been for if not qualifying the statistics, explaining, and interpreting them?

With your way of "analysing" centerbacks Mascherano is the best centerback in the world

Lets put Montoya and Adriano as our CB's, according to whoscored they are great !

Except that I've repeatedly said, both here and in other threads, that two statistics isn't enough to prove anything (which is why I provided more than two statistics in my post) and why one needs to, like you said, look at the role of the player in the side and what they are asked to do.

A club of this stature demands consistency, and absolute commitment.

Odd that the club hasn't kicked Pique out yet. This is a "pet peeve" I have in general, people speaking as if they are representatives of the club and that they are the ones who set the criteria ("not Barca standard" oh that is the absolute worst). Clearly the club doesn't "demand" this, or has a different definition of it than you seem to, or else all these "average" players would be long gone. And somehow, I'll trust the opinion of paid professionals over random fans on the internet... (sorry if that was overly aggressive, couldn't think of a better way to word it)

displays an impeccable game reading, not a clean tackler

Who is, then?

Curties Davies is a world class defender, according to whoscored. Adrian Ramos is the 5th best player in the world, according to whoscored. So ye...

I do think the way they actually calculate the overall rating is weird, which is why I never pay much attention to their man of the match things and whatnot, just use them as a database for numbers. Like the Observer was saying, their algorithm could very well be arbitrary and meaningless, which is why I disregard their ratings.

Last edited:
X

Xavimascapenes

I'd replace him with Hummels and go for Benatia to partner him. Both would be doable if Barcelona were aggressive and serious in their pursuit. Would cost € 80M probably but it would be worth it as both are fairly young (25 and 26), fairly complete and Barca compatible. The main problem would be to sell Pique to recoup some of the money. Frankly, I can't see any top club showing interest in him. Manchester United wouldn't take him back, Pep is the coach who sent a private detective agency on his ass to screen his off-the-pitch activities so he won't bother with him again, Real Madrid have Varane and Ramos who are superior and Pique isn't exactly popular in Madrid, Mourinho doesn't rate David Luiz so why would he rate Pique. Maybe PSG would show interest. Dunno. They could really do with the marketabily of his wife's ass in their quest to become a bigger club.

Obviously only a dream scenario. We'll buy some young, unproven player like Fabian Schär or Balanta, partner him with Pique who can't lead a backline and expect the defense to improve tenfold suddenly. As if those rumoured names would be a major improvent over Mascherano except in the air. :lol:

United would take him back in a heartbeat that's for sure, money won't even be an issue if he was made available. What makes you think that they wouldn't take him back? When Vidic leaves this summer they'll be stuck with Smalling who is a liability every time he plays, Jones who is very versatile but below average in every position he plays in and Evans who has improved but still wouldn't even make the bench at a big club. Pique is still considered one of the world's best centre backs in England and he would be a massive signing for United.

Last edited:

The Observer

Sorry. I've completely underestimated the shambles that Manchester United are right now. After watching their game today I realized again what a mess they are.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
The excuses given for Pique, so far: Shakira, CB partner, Alves, Alba, Valdes, Busquets, Referee, pitch conditions, weather .....I'm sure as we go along, there will more additions to that list.
How has Shakira ever been used as an excuse? She has always been taken as an unnecessary reason to attack/ridicule him (he's too busy with Shakira for training). And I don't think his family background is a more valid 'excuse' (or attack, depending on how you look at it).

Theconomist

I am soooo fucking happy Pique didn't get picked for Spain. Even tho we all know he will for the WC, this should wake him the fuck up. I don't know why he's slumped into this chronic mediocrity, when he wants he can be amazing!

abual3bed1

I am soooo fucking happy Pique didn't get picked for Spain. Even tho we all know he will for the WC, this should wake him the fuck up. I don't know why he's slumped into this chronic mediocrity, when he wants he can be amazing!

He wasn't picked because he's injured, not because he's bad. :VdB:

pepi

A deal on the renewal of centre back Gerard Pique (27) is close. One final meeting left. The Catalan player will renew until 2017. [md]

That's our CB signing ... YEY

Home of Barca Fans