Gerard Piqué

Kuchi

Geez, 2-3 lifesaving, last man standing, tackles per game :) His positioning and tackles have been absolutely spot on this year.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
His reaction to Mathieu's goal was terrific as well - looks an absolutely rejuvenated player, showing better desire & intensity...Has to be the biggest surprise of the season for the team this year, IMO

Kohe321

Game saving tackle! Charles would almost certainly have scored there without Piques interception, making it 1-0 to Celta, and the game would have become incredibly difficult. But it remains 0-0 and Mathieu goes on to score the winner moments later. Just fantastic stuff!

It's moments like this that give weight to the saying that defenders wins you titles. :pique: :mathieu:

Last edited:
L

linetty

If we win titles this season the credit is all down to Pique, it's almost unbelievable how many times he saved our ass

footyfan

Calma, calma
His reaction to Mathieu's goal was terrific as well - looks an absolutely rejuvenated player, showing better desire & intensity...Has to be the biggest surprise of the season for the team this year, IMO

Spot on. His reaction to Suarez's first against Man City and his winner in the Clasico are other prime examples that show he looks really up for it this season and ready to take on a leader role. I think he is really appreciative of the directness and physicality in Barca's play this season, with the arrival of Mathieu, Suarez and Rakitic. He seemed frustrated by that aspect in the previous two seasons.

He has been the best Barca player over the past month or so and probably the best after Messi this season overall.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Perhaps what we called Shakira syndrome was the stage of boy becoming a man. Personally and professionally. Having a wife(and what a wife), children, handling fame. Not having Puyol there to mentor him, taking responsibility and leadership into his own hands. All of that.

Now he always has the lionheart scream when we score, courageous and willful. It's written on his face. He is finally a man.

You could say he's earned that beard on his face.

Kohe321

Perhaps what we called Shakira syndrome was the stage of boy becoming a man. Personally and professionally. Having a wife(and what a wife), children, handling fame. Not having Puyol there to mentor him, taking responsibility and leadership into his own hands. All of that.

Now he always has the lionheart scream when we score, courageous and willful. It's written on his face. He is finally a man.

You could say he's earned that beard on his face.

Haha fantastic post, and I think you're hitting the nail on the head :lol:

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Yeah those face to face things are awesome. Dani Alves v Munir is my favourite so far. Dani is just hilarious.

DrPepper

This guy is the best defender in the world ATM. Fingers crossed it can continue.

Inspired me to do one of those comparison graphics to show how good he is this season:

Click me

Conclusion: There's the Messi of defenders; three very good defenders and also Kompany for teh lulz and sheer mediocrity.

Home of Barca Fans