Gerardo "Tata" Martino

ebc_99

Tata has not been given the opportunity to bring in his own players, he may say the squad is fine but he is just covering for the board who will not give him what he needs. Pep spent 100 million in the summer of 2008 and got to clear out who he did not want, we have to give Tata the chance to do that before we right him off. Ancellotti at Madrid, Pellegrini at City both got the players they wanted this summer so they have no excuses, Martino has had to deal with what he has got. It is no excuse for the bad form we are in now though but that happens to all teams at some point in a season. I still think we can win all the titles this season but we need to improve.

Messi and Neymar haven't really played together much either which is frustrating, to see those two fully fit together and in form will be a sight to behold. I am sure Tata knows what we need but if the board will not give him the funds then his hands are tied, and he certainly cannot critisise the board as he will get himself fired. I reckon this summer will see big changes at the club because we have ignored the faults to long.

Messi has bee great since his return, I really do not understand why he receives so much stick. He is getting sharper as it takes a while to get up to speed after an injury, and he is right not to push himself to hard as this year more than any other is the most important of his career.

Our players are not too weak and small either, that is a nonsense. We just need to shore up the defense as our attack is fine, if we stop giving away stupid goals then we win games like last night against Valencia.

Jadentheman

Martino is a good manager he just doesn't have the players to implement what he wants. No height, no strength, no leadership, no aggression. Valdes-erratic. Xavi and Iniesta-past it. Pique-inconsistent-not a leader at the back. Alves, Alba-prone to attacking and leaving large gaps. Busquets-great but can be overwhelmed against physical teams. Look at the bench-Song, Tello, Roberto. Look at Mascherano-positional issues and lack of height.

To all those who worship Pep why don't you ask him why he left such a physically small, weak team. Tata is doing the best he can with the resources available. Its clear the board don't want to spend money-that's not Tata's fault.

Pep wanted to prove a point to the world back in 2008 that you can't ignore talent because of their height, lack of physical play, or something like that. So that is why he made his team all under 5'9. However now that's cmoing back to bite us especially since teams have figured Barca out. So now we have to adapt.

F

Flavia

Pep wanted to prove a point to the world back in 2008 that you can't ignore talent because of their height, lack of physical play, or something like that. So that is why he made his team all under 5'9. However now that's cmoing back to bite us especially since teams have figured Barca out. So now we have to adapt.

Not really.

Once Pep fielded this team:

Valdés - Puyol, Chygrynskiy, Piqué, Abidal - Touré, Busquets, Keita - Pedro, Ibrahimovic, Henry

Benched Messi, Xavi, Iniesta.

flamenco

we need to sign new world class defenders, maybe a couple of them. We have a great attacking line. But Pique', Puyol, Mash, Adriano, Sergio, Bartra, Song....in defense that's not enough.... and will continue to get hurt until we do something about that.

This may seem to be off topic but Tata or any other coach can't always work magic if we don't have a solid back line.

For now, maybe he should pair Sergio and Song in MD

Last edited:
G

Gascav

Our CM department is not good. Players mark busquets a lot and not xavi anymore because they know that xavi is not going to hurt them but busquets will. Xavi poses no threat to opponents

fcbdna

Banned
Martino is not the coach we need. I used to be on the defensive side of him, I mean his a great coach, but we are becoming too direct. Heck, even Southampton plays more Tiki-Taka than we do NOW! Don't get me wrong I agree that passing the ball against a parked bus is "at times" senseless, and its good to try something new, but when it becomes too much. . . . That's just excessive. But do we have the physical requirement for playing direct? Its really hampering our creativity.

Last edited:

Jadentheman

Not really.

Once Pep fielded this team:

Valdés - Puyol, Chygrynskiy, Piqué, Abidal - Touré, Busquets, Keita - Pedro, Ibrahimovic, Henry

Benched Messi, Xavi, Iniesta.

I am talking about the peak of Pep's Era. back in 2010-2011 when the media were orgasming to Barca.

Back when Ray Hudson would not SHUT UP about Xavienta + Messi

F

Flavia

I am talking about the peak of Pep's Era. back in 2010-2011 when the media were orgasming to Barca.

Back when Ray Hudson would not SHUT UP about Xavienta + Messi

Barça still had enough tall players then. Just put Abidal and Keita and the team was more muscular and tall. It was a balanced squad, unlike now.

JamDav1982

Barça still had enough tall players then. Just put Abidal and Keita and the team was more muscular and tall. It was a balanced squad, unlike now.

Peps best ever Barca team is probably the one that defeated Man Utd in 2011. Maybe didn't win all six trophies etc but the standard of opposition was stronger teams were more clued up to Barcas tactics.

I doubt the squad was much taller than this one overall.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Peps best ever Barca team is probably the one that defeated Man Utd in 2011. Maybe didn't win all six trophies etc but the standard of opposition was stronger teams were more clued up to Barcas tactics.

I doubt the squad was much taller than this one overall.

The only difference I can think of is that our fullbacks were more balanced which allowed us to defend at a much higher caliber.

Home of Barca Fans