Gerardo "Tata" Martino

coura

Banned
"Full-backs have got to be wingers and wingers have got to be full-backs. There's no excuse any more. There is too much evidence in the way the game is going to say 'we will have a luxury player on the left or right'. Unfortunately not - not at the top level.

"There's a lot of evidence in the last 12 months, watching Dortmund and watching Munich and tonight with Chelsea; that's the way the game is going."

Wise words from Gary Neville. Barça is the opposite.

B

beautifulgame

"Full-backs have got to be wingers and wingers have got to be full-backs. There's no excuse any more. There is too much evidence in the way the game is going to say 'we will have a luxury player on the left or right'. Unfortunately not - not at the top level.

"There's a lot of evidence in the last 12 months, watching Dortmund and watching Munich and tonight with Chelsea; that's the way the game is going."

Lol wise that the English realize they are decades behind.

And you have no idea what you are talking about with your last comment, you, like Neville, only follow trending rhetoric.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Barça is the opposite.

Watchoo talkin' about Willis? Pedro and Sanchez basically play rightback when they play RW. And Alves and Alba are quintessential wingbacks. Neymar too tracks back, though not on the level of Pedro and Sanchez.

Barcilliant

That's the part I don't agree with. I'm for major changes in the summer, transfer wise.

Agree man. I have been saying it for the past 2 seasons. The squad needs major changes.4-5 players need to come in. 3-4 have to exit.

Again-this is not Tata's fault. Pep saw the decline and ran off. Tito managed to get us a league title but we were shown up in the CL especially. Now if these coaches couldn't motivate the players what makes people think Tata can.

Tata has brought a lot of good stuff but he hasn't had the freedom to pick his players. This effectively has tied his hands. The board doesn't want to spend and that leaves Tata is a shitty position.

It is the board's fault. They have ridden on the team's past glory for too long and have shown no vision for a transition or an overhaul of the squad.

Maria

I don't follow... I was saying we don't.

I think there's a "don't" missing in the "I'm not going to be convinced that we have a better squad right now."

Yeah, I made a mistake.

A proper captain is what we need, 2010-2011 was able to keep up the intensity because of Puyol according to the players testimonials, no offense to him but xavi is too quiet I think they need a general to corral them. Bartra seems to do it when he's on the field I'm not saying give him the arm band but having a general-type player on the team is needed to keep the intensity up I believe (Maybe have Puyol stand next to Tata and shout?)

In 2011-2012 Puyol played more than he did in 2010-2011 or in 2012-2013..yet we didn't win the league then. Not to mention that we also had Puyol in 2007-2008, when Ronaldinho was training when he wanted and Eto'o was calling Rijkaard a bad person, while Puyol and Xavi were looking the other way. So even though Puyol has always been important to us, the coach is far more important when it comes to motivating his team. And with that being said, I would apreciate Tata more if from time to time he would shout at his players instead of the 4th referee.

I think this is correct. The squad is better now on paper, but the players are:

1. not as motivated as they were.
2. not willing to work as hard as they did.

Those are key factors you absolutely need to have to win titles. We don't have them anymore, not in same degree we had them under Pep. Guardiola sensed that a major change was needed in the team after 2012, when our lack of concentration and motivation showed in many matches that season, Getafe away (1-0), Osasuna away (3-2), Villareal away (0-0), Sociedad away (from 0-2 to 2-2).

Actually I think that he sense it in 2011 and that's why he tried so many things in his last season. But like you said, the players didn't had the same motivation, the luck wasn't there(at 2-0 against Sociedad Alexis gets injured and Villa comes in and then he makes that back-pass, 2 penalties denied against Valencia for example, Messi missing his penalty against Sevilla, Getafe needing only one shot on target to win against us :( and then there were the games against Chelsea :cry:), we had numerous injuries and we end up playing with Adriano, Tello or Cuenca in atack(that for those who are still saying that we were having an amazing squad), plus Messi scored only one goal in the league games away from home until January.

Right now, with teams like Atletico, Barcelona and Real - which all have world class players -, the one thing that will decide the winner is the pure desire to win and give 100% everytime, against any team you meet. Out of the three, we are last at this chapter.

And Atletico is probably first..plus they have Simeone, who looks like a man on a mission.

Last edited:

Maria

So it took him only 4 years to notice something that has been obvious for a while. Also if anything, Barca's FBs are too much of wingers, so I can't understand how can you say something like that.

Agree man. I have been saying it for the past 2 seasons. The squad needs major changes.4-5 players need to come in. 3-4 have to exit.

Again-this is not Tata's fault. Pep saw the decline and ran off. Tito managed to get us a league title but we were shown up in the CL especially. Now if these coaches couldn't motivate the players what makes people think Tata can.

Tata has brought a lot of good stuff but he hasn't had the freedom to pick his players. This effectively has tied his hands. The board doesn't want to spend and that leaves Tata is a shitty position.

It is the board's fault. They have ridden on the team's past glory for too long and have shown no vision for a transition or an overhaul of the squad.

Then maybe he should run, just like Pep did.

Last edited:

Antimadridista1

2014-02-03_GALA_MUNDO_DEPORTIVO_064-Optimized.v1391507049.JPG

:tata1:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
F. de Boer, Laudrup, Lucho. All former players and all more probable candidates this summer. I definitely wouldn't say no to Simeone either.

G

Gascav

I think we need someone with newer ideas and better big team experience who is bold enough to ask the board for the players he needs to buy and those he needs to release

F

Flavia

F. de Boer, Laudrup, Lucho. All former players and all more probable candidates this summer. I definitely wouldn't say no to Simeone either.

I don't want Laudrup... no way. De Boer is my favorite. I think Lucho could be simeone-like. Tata doesn't strike me as a great motivator, he seems too nice.

Home of Barca Fans