Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think we need someone with newer ideas and better big team experience who is bold enough to ask the board for the players he needs to buy and those he needs to release

I don't want Laudrup... no way. De Boer is my favorite. I think Lucho could be simeone-like. Tata doesn't strike me as a great motivator, he seems too nice.

I can't say I don't like Tata. He strikes me like a good guy and good coach. However.. I would prefer someone with fresh ideas. An innovator.
Someone who will have guts to stamp his mark and make this set of world class players work hard again. I don't really care who we sell or buy. Players come and go. But I can't stand watching bunch of big names just strolling around looking disinterested.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I admire what Tata is trying to do here. The man came in on a short notice and didn't even have a full preseason, let alone the transfer funds that the likes of Pep at Bayern, Ancelloti at Madrid, Pellegrini at Man City, or even what Pep got when he started here. Provided that nothing disastrous happens (i.e. we finish 3rd in La Liga and go trophyless), I think we ought to give him one more year. He can reshape the squad in his vision during the summer and then we can see what he really has planned for Barca. If he doesn't impress for two seasons in a row, then we can look at getting Lucho, De Boer, Koeman, Rudi Garcia, etc. But not until then.

serghei

I can't say I don't like Tata. He strikes me like a good guy and good coach. However.. I would prefer someone with fresh ideas. An innovator.
Someone who will have guts to stamp his mark and make this set of world class players work hard again. I don't really care who we sell or buy. Players come and go. But I can't stand watching bunch of big names just strolling around looking disinterested.

We''ll se how we do against City. I think that match could pretty much clear things out and tell us where we really stand, because that's not the kind of tie you can win without wanting 100% to go through. If we bail out when things get tough, then that's clear to me we need a massive overhaul in the summer. One transfer, Neymar style, won't cut it.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Big problems ahead but I think it's clear Tata isn't going to be the solution...I never see much response from this team when it's clear the coach is under pressure to make a statement match much less develop some form ahead of the crunch portion of the season...But it was a tepid if not entirely impotent display tonight, they look like a very mechanical side with no creative solutions

Afraid to say it but Martino has so far proven to be out of his depth to take the talent in this squad and elevate their game and that's irrespective of what comes next, IMO...But this job is not for everyone, I think that has proven to be clear despite so many claiming Pep was merely lucky to have the players he did

I think about the transition under Heynckes for Bayern last season where they went from a mechanical side to a high octane & lethal one and I feel it showed his quality...I see us outside the top 4 or 5 clubs in Europe, atm...Not due to a lack of talent but because we look uninspired...I said this months ago but we don't look like Barcelona to me

The bigger worry for me going forward will be what happens this summer apart from Tata...What happens to Messi?...I don't like admitting it but Ten Cate makes a good point regarding his future...There's already been some instability in the relationship with the club but now from a sporting perspective there might also be more incentive to rethink the project going forward...It doesn't appear physical with Leo, just mental...I don't know, something isn't quite right

F

Flavia

Big problems ahead but I think it's clear Tata isn't going to be the solution...I never see much response from this team when it's clear the coach is under pressure to make a statement match much less develop some form ahead of the crunch portion of the season...But it was a tepid if not entirely impotent display tonight, they look like a very mechanical side with no creative solutions

Afraid to say it but Martino has so far proven to be out of his depth to take the talent in this squad and elevate their game and that's irrespective of what comes next, IMO...But this job is not for everyone, I think that has proven to be clear despite so many claiming Pep was merely lucky to have the players he did

I think about the transition under Heynckes for Bayern last season where they went from a mechanical side to a high octane & lethal one and I feel it showed his quality...I see us outside the top 4 or 5 clubs in Europe, atm...Not due to a lack of talent but because we look uninspired...I said this months ago but we don't look like Barcelona to me

The bigger worry for me going forward will be what happens this summer apart from Tata...What happens to Messi?...I don't like admitting it but Ten Cate makes a good point regarding his future...There's already been some instability in the relationship with the club but now from a sporting perspective there might also be more incentive to rethink the project going forward...It doesn't appear physical with Leo, just mental...I don't know, something isn't quite right

About Messi I think it's just mental, he probably still fears a relapse. But he's improving. Tata is my concern. He really seems not to be the man for the job. I think the players need someone like simeone, who can bring back the passion. Tata is too soft for that.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Plays 34 y.o. Xavi all the time and forgets (again) to use all his subs.

What did ten Cate say?

JamDav1982

Plays 34 y.o. Xavi all the time and forgets (again) to use all his subs.

What did ten Cate say?

He said it was the worst Barcelona performance he has seen in six years and there are big issues with the team.

They play far too slowly and players like Messi are lacking the motivation to play week in week out and suggested Messi needs a new challenge.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
About Messi I think it's just mental, he probably still fears a relapse. But he's improving. Tata is my concern. He really seems not to be the man for the job. I think the players need someone like simeone, who can bring back the passion. Tata is too soft for that.

But you know that terminator drive of his to push forward?...It rarely appears now and I think he too is a bit uninspired...I think back a few months ago when there was that Sport speculation about a Captain's meeting with Leo - I wonder if it was true and what it was about exactly...That perhaps he feels unable to help the team in it's current setup

Momentum is a bitch in sport, there are no light switches to flip on whenever you feel like...There is no rhythm or form atm and you'd be hard pressed to find a leader or standout performer in recent displays

F

Flavia

If it was just Messi lacking motivation... It's everyone. Even Pedro is looking "meh" these days.

Alarcón

I admire what Tata is trying to do here.

What is he trying? We play exactly like last season. Same strengths, same problems. Nothing changed apart from the fact that some players became better. The lack of innovation and a clear "handwriting" says a lot about Tata's coaching abilities. Like Bojan said, he might be a good coach, but Barça need someone who is not afraid to change things and make unpopular decisions - just like Pep was. I hope I'll eat my words at the end of the season but I can't say the past few months have been too exhilarating.

F

Flavia

But you know that terminator drive of his to push forward?...It rarely appears now and I think he too is a bit uninspired...I think back a few months ago when there was that Sport speculation about a Captain's meeting with Leo - I wonder if it was true and what it was about exactly...That perhaps he feels unable to help the team in it's current setup

Momentum is a bitch in sport, there are no light switches to flip on whenever you feel like...There is no rhythm or form atm and you'd be hard pressed to find a leader or standout performer in recent displays

That drive seemed back, even if faint, when Iniesta was subbed on. It could be some players are unhappy with the changes tata is making, as playing direct, etc. Who knows... but it seems something is going on in Can Barça.

jamrock

Another pitiful performance, team should be starting to peak now to go into march and April guns blazing

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We have one heck of a summer infront of us it seem.... Possible elections, manager change, busy transfer window etc.........

Kerrybai

It's all well and good to talk about bringing in a coach with fresh ideas but Tata hasn't been able to make any transfers yet.

Regarding Messi he hardly lacks motivation, the guy slept at the Argentine training facility during his recovery. He trained every day to regain his fitness. Of course an argument could be made that he is lacking drive and motivation for us and is thinking about the world cup, however I feel there would be much less scrutiny on Messi if he wasn't so rusty in front of goal. Once his finishing returns the spotlight will begin to fade.

Home of Barca Fans