Gerardo "Tata" Martino

BerkeleyBernie

(La Liga) FC Barcelona: 18

And I'd bet half of those are Alves's. :lol:

I also wonder what counts as a cross in those stats. Does it also include those short precise balls lofted from one side of the box to the other, which are really quite different from tossing hopeful crap in from the wings.

footyfan

Calma, calma
This post is addressed mainly to Ammar, but also to any other person who thinks we've become a team that does nothing but play the ball out wide and cross it. I'm going to go to whoscored, where I'll select the major leagues. Then, I'll click on "team statistics", scroll down to "Liga BBVA Situational Statistics" (or whatever league) and click on pass types, where it'll show "crosses per game", and I'll put the numbers here for everyone to see.

(La Liga) FC Barcelona: 18
(La Liga) Real Madrid: 24
(La Liga) Atletico: 25
(La Liga) Athletic Bilbao: 30
(La Liga) Real Sociedad: 26
(EPL) Manchester City: 24
(EPL) Swansea: 25
(EPL) Southampton: 24
(EPL) Arsenal: 20
(EPL) Chelsea: 21
(EPL) Liverpool: 18
(EPL) Manchester United: 27
(EPL) Everton: 22
(EPL) Spurs: 23
(Bundesliga) Bayern: 21
(Bundesliga) Borussia M'Gladbach: 9 (??!)
(Bundesliga) Dortmund: 17
(Serie A) Juventus: 22
(Serie A) Roma: 21
(Serie A) Napoli: 20
(Serie A) AC Milan: 26
(Ligue 1) PSG: 22
(Ligue 1) Monaco: 26

So, Liverpool and Dortmund are about the same as us, and M'Gladbach apparently has a religious taboo on crossing, but other than that, we seem to be comfortably ahead, or behind (however you want to look at it) in that department. Odd, that.

I wonder what the success rate for these teams is. And no, crosses that go from one side of the pitch to the other because they were so badly misjudged (looking at you Alves) should not count as a successful cross.

JimmyGuitarist

Barca were more direct in the first half os season and as a result Cesc, Alexis and Pedro played really well. But in the meantime teams have actually started to adapt and play much deeper against Barca. So it's up to the coach to find solutions.
So according to you; prior to the apparent "directness" introduced early on in the season; teams never sat deep against Barcelona before?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
let's make Bielsa our coach, at least our games would be interesting and amusing to watch with his attacking experiments

ammarfcb

ze special one
messi authority overruled tata second half.

#TATAOUT

Hey ammar, what was that? Couldn't hear you over the sound of us winning...

haha u say it like we pulled a 4-0 vs milan performance. it was good agaisnt a team that gave up. and MESSI MESSI MESSI

Last edited:

big_man

Really? In how many games we were brilliant in September? And it's funny that you bring up Messi's injury because we were actually doing better until he returned.

Sorry what?

September Played 6, Won all 6, 20 goals scored 5 conceded

October Played 6, won 4, drew 2, 11 goals scored 3 conceded

November Played 5, won 3, lost 1, 13 goals scored 4 conceded

December Played 6, won 5, lost 1 20 goals scored 6 conceded (Bear in mind we played a pub team in the Copa del rey twice as well this month)

So, yes, September was CLEARLY our best run of form in terms of creativity in our attack which coincided with when Iniesta and Messi had a run of games together.

F

Flavia

Hey ammar, what was that? Couldn't hear you over the sound of us winning...

That was not down to Tata, though.
Iniesta and Messi stepped up. Like they did many times during last season.
The team still lacks a gameplan.

Home of Barca Fans