Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Funny. Few days ago people were praising Tata for his amazing tactics again City. Now they want him to leave

Not everyone ;)

I think Tata is a solid coach but he has his hands tied. Add to that he clearly isn't motivator and that's really the biggest single problem this team has.
We've become slaves to our own success, so to speak.

F

Flavia

Not everyone ;)

I think Tata is a solid coach but he has his hands tied. Add to that he clearly isn't motivator and that's really the biggest single problem this team has.
We've become slaves to our own success, so to speak.

I think the players need a coach who is a great motivator. I don't think Tata can do that. Talking helped Alexis, but to keep players who won everything hungry, takes more than that.

JamDav1982

I think the players need a coach who is a great motivator. I don't think Tata can do that. Talking helped Alexis, but to keep players who won everything hungry, takes more than that.

They need someone that is not scared to make big decisions.

The squad is becoming stale and the same players are playing week in week out and look to be coasting along.

Might be time to overhaul the squad and promote some of the younger hungrier players but it wont happen as any manager and any board are scared stiff og being seen to be the ones who broke up the 'greatest team ever'.

The squad is becoming stale and the same players are playing week in week out and look to be coasting along.

Might be time to overhaul the squad and promote some of the younger hungrier players but it wont happen as any manager and any board are scared stiff og being seen to be the ones who broke up the 'greatest team ever'.

This.

The coach next season, whether it's Tata or someone else, needs to have the balls to make big decisions and overhaul the squad. And the board needs to give the coach the freedom to do so.

F

Flavia

The greatest team ever is already broken... They are living in the past, which is dangerous.
I don't think a drastic overhaul is needed, yet. Just someone bold enough to make a few changes. Starting with a #9, and playing messi behind him or as rw. False 9 can still be used, but the team needs versatility. Barça don't have that anymore.
A great cm/dm to cover for Xavi/Busi is needed too. And a top cb, to give pique competiton or bench him. 2 cbs would be the ideal. But none of that will work without a brave coach.

JamDav1982

The greatest team ever is already broken... They are living in the past, which is dangerous.
I don't think a drastic overhaul is needed, yet. Just someone bold enough to make a few changes. Starting with a #9, and playing messi behind him or as rw. False 9 can still be used, but the team needs versatility. Barça don't have that anymore.
A great cm/dm to cover for Xavi/Busi is needed too. And a top cb, to give pique competiton or bench him. 2 cbs would be the ideal. But none of that will work without a brave coach.

I totally agree the best team ever is in the past but still no one really wants to be seen as the one to break it up.

Messi is not working as false nine now, he doesnt move enough to cause panic in the back line and the best teams seem to have worked out exaclty hoe to defend against him playing there.

If he does play behind a striker he needs to put a lot more effort in as the team will be a man short in midfield. Basically he needs to play the way he does for Argentina. He is a different player for Argentina and Barca these days.

G

Gascav

I totally agree the best team ever is in the past but still no one really wants to be seen as the one to break it up.

Messi is not working as false nine now, he doesnt move enough to cause panic in the back line and the best teams seem to have worked out exaclty hoe to defend against him playing there.

If he does play behind a striker he needs to put a lot more effort in as the team will be a man short in midfield. Basically he needs to play the way he does for Argentina. He is a different player for Argentina and Barca these days.
Can we get higuain from napoli?

F

Flavia

He can play behind the striker, coming from rw. Drop one of the wingers, and the midfield keep iniesta/xavi(cesc)/busi. Like they played against milan, with villa as cf. Alves played as the hibrid rb/rw he already is. Problem for that is that the 9 would need to be a mobile one, like cavani.

JamDav1982

He can play behind the striker, coming from rw. Drop one of the wingers, and the midfield keep iniesta/xavi(cesc)/busi. Like they played against milan, with villa as cf. Alves played as the hibrid rb/rw he already is. Problem for that is that the 9 would need to be a mobile one, like cavani.

I just dont think Messi would ever take being asked to play on the RW long term and he is so good that he needs to be in the middle of things.

Just cant see it ever being an option for him to play RW.

Personally think Neymar could play CF ahead of Messi if required

F

Flavia

I just dont think Messi would ever take being asked to play on the RW long term and he is so good that he needs to be in the middle of things.

Just cant see it ever being an option for him to play RW.

Personally think Neymar could play CF ahead of Messi if required

Messi wouldn't need to be fixed at rw. The team that played vs Milan was VV; Alves, Pique, Masch, Alba; Xavi, Busi, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Villa. But villa played as cf, and Messi roamed free behind him and on the right.

I don't think Neymar would work as cf.

JamDav1982

Messi wouldn't need to be fixed at rw. The team that played vs Milan was VV; Alves, Pique, Masch, Alba; Xavi, Busi, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Villa. But villa played as cf, and Messi roamed free behind him and on the right.

Messi played behind Villa against Milan.

They took a gamble and decide to go with Alves on the right on his own. That wont happen week in week out.

Yaya

Barca won the league with a 100 point tally and two losses. Both loses coming in the second half of the season last year. Pep is a legend. But you shouldn't disregard the players considering they won the league and made the semi's without a coach for the second half of the season.

Completely irrelevant acomplishment. It's the big games where Barcelona failed HARD. Pep would have never allowed that.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I agree, would be great plan B for many games. But it wouldn't really have helped us out yesterday, because the midfield didn't control the ball. So what we really NEED is a proper backup holding CM/DM, or just splash some cash or Xavi's replacement (yes, yes - I know we will never find 'another Xavi') and he could rotate with Xavi next season. I've seen Samper play a couple of games this season, there is no way he could play for Xavi next season - I'm even afraid he will never play for the first team. Splash some cash, we need a Modric, a Vidal, a Gundogan (but he is injured all the time), maybe Bender, Matuidi is great, bring Yaya back- sh*t, I don't known - but do something!

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!

It's not only about the players though... The directives, fans and especially the press are still living the past too...

I really can't believe how much stick has Tata received from the press from day one, mistakes aside, everything he's tried to improve the team has met strong resistance from everyone... So it's not only about being brave, because I think Tata has been, it's also about having the right conditions to do your job... Needless to say, that doesn't mean that he should be left off the hook when he screws up...

So whoever comes next, or if he continues next season, should have a proper environment, one that doesn't have every single detail questioned, and in order to do that people need to understand that the golden generation can't last forever, that La Masia can't keep producing world class talent every single season, that possession does not mean everything, that an alternative direct approach isn't a spawn from hell and so on... The club, fans and press need to look forward instead of backwards and move on, which doesn't mean disregarding values and ideas, but transforming them to fit the needs of the present...

Home of Barca Fans