Gerardo "Tata" Martino

DinhoR10

I wouldnt mind possibly losing the league if we were the favorites for the cl but we are second favorites with a Pep-run bayern that we may or may not be able to beat depending on if we are 100% at the time. IF and thats a big IF we get back on track and record wins again we shouldn't have a problem seeing as our team performs well in big games so I cant see us losing el classico.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
The greatest team ever is already broken... They are living in the past, which is dangerous.
I don't think a drastic overhaul is needed, yet. Just someone bold enough to make a few changes. Starting with a #9, and playing messi behind him or as rw. False 9 can still be used, but the team needs versatility. Barça don't have that anymore.
A great cm/dm to cover for Xavi/Busi is needed too. And a top cb, to give pique competiton or bench him. 2 cbs would be the ideal. But none of that will work without a brave coach.

And a LB or RB, because Montoya, well, he's not up for it and probably never will be. I know, it's becoming somewhat of a mantra, we're repeating the same thing and hoping :lol: It's so clear we need those signings, that new blood, that new hunger. We need that proper #9, that Cavani, Lewa, Falcao, Suarez type of player. We need that Vidal, Matuidi, Gundogan (even though he is very injury prone), we need that CB like TS or Bentia.

It's not only about the players though... The directives, fans and especially the press are still living the past too...

I really can't believe how much stick has Tata received from the press from day one, mistakes aside, everything he's tried to improve the team has met strong resistance from everyone... So it's not only about being brave, because I think Tata has been, it's also about having the right conditions to do your job... Needless to say, that doesn't mean that he should be left off the hook when he screws up...

So whoever comes next, or if he continues next season, should have a proper environment, one that doesn't have every single detail questioned, and in order to do that people need to understand that the golden generation can't last forever, that La Masia can't keep producing world class talent every single season, that possession does not mean everything, that an alternative direct approach isn't a spawn from hell and so on... The club, fans and press need to look forward instead of backwards and move on, which doesn't mean disregarding values and ideas, but transforming them to fit the needs of the present...

Well said, totally agree!

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Because he was sent off yesterday, Barcelona coach Tata Martino won't be on the bench during the game against Almeria next weekend. [fcb]

I

instinct

I agree with the people who say that this team lives in the past. I can't understand why our board or Tata don't see the way our players play in such games.

I was really amazed about the City game though it was not masterclass but we managed to go to the 2nd leg without conceding a goal in the Ethiad.

But the Liga is not like in previous seasons. Yesterday the players knew that Real was 3 points ahead and I think that they thought Atletico will win today.

What Tata said yesterday, that he did not prepare the game well, I don't understand it. Even if he didn't prepare it, this is no excuse why our players showed a complete lack of confidence in this game. Messi scored a goal again, okay he gets back to 100% but did he look good at all? In the previous matches he lost the ball much to easy, though he scored many goals which every Barca fan appreciates of course. But it can't be the philosophy of a club like Barca to give Messi the ball all the time even though he has 3-5 players against him. It's not surprising that we lose the ball that often and furthermore Tata can't be serious with his organization of the backline. We have some great players there. Players who shined throughout the whole Pep era. Players like Pique and Alves and what's up with them? They have many good games, yes but also many bad games, just like yesterday.

Some of you people say that mistakes happen to everyone and I agree with this and moreover I agree that we managed to win some important games this season but most of us are still disappointed and for me, it is caused by our lack of consistence.

I want to compare us to Bayern now. Anyone who thinks this is unappropiate should ask himself why. A few years ago we were the most dominate power in Europe and now Bayern is. Of course it can happen that another team is more dominant than we are but as a club like Barca is, it is the top priority to chase Bayern and to try to get the top of the table in Europe back. We lost 7-0 to Bayern, okay, many excuses have been made. Busi and Messi were not in top form. Tito had cancer, but still, we lost 7-0 against Bayern with the same players who played in the greatest era in Barca history.

Our system is old. Posession is important, I won't deny that. Bayern's play is also about posession but the way we play, this is not the Barca I saw and immediately fell in love with. We rotate the ball in the midfield and against attacking teams like Rayo it works out but throughout the entire season we showed such a massive lack of ideas when we played against teams who parked the bus. Furthermore we're not only scoring no goals, no, we concede goals, unneccessary goals, stupid goals against, even if we have 99% posession. This is ridiculous.

I know that every team has it's ups and downs but why doesn't Bayern have them since 1 1/2 years? Do they have better players than us? I don't think so but their system works and ours sometimes works and sometimes not. It just depends on the opponent's coach. If he knows how to play against us, we'll have no chance of winning, if he doesn't, we'll win.

I'm convinced that we would lose against Bayern again. Maybe not that high but we would lose. I love Barca but I keep it real. And this is what makes me sad, when you sometimes know that you will lose a game because you know that the players are not ready to fight like it's a final. We showed it in yesterday's game, in the game against Valencia, Athletic and Ajax. The City game was great but what if we get PSG in the quarter finals? Maybe we win, but there is a good chance that we lose. Even the quotes of a City win were higher on Tuesday.

We can't go on that way. Tata is a good coach but I think he just tries to please every player. A manager sometimes has to be an asshole and put Messi on the right wing when things do not go well. He has to make the decision to invest much money to buy new blood instead of trusting an 35 year old Puyol.

Fresh blood is definetely needed.

Furthermore I would change the whole system. I'd go for a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

Valdes, [Alves], Benatia, Pique (kick him in the ass), Alba, Busquets, Cesc, Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Agüero (if possible).

I know that Pedro and Sanchez would be useless at this time but hey look:

Probably Messi would still be disturbed by 3-5 players but this would create space for dangerous players like Neymar and Agüero who don't stand at the most left/right point of the pitch. Instead they would stand on the corners of the box and we would cause much more danger. Alba and Alves have to stay back in this system and Messi can rotate his position from left to center to right. Agüero have the technical skills and the pace to create great chances. Messi would give some amazing assists and he would be able to shoot without so many players in front of him.

Too much text for the most of you, so I stop now.

Gn8

DinhoR10

I agree with the people who say that this team lives in the past. I can't understand why our board or Tata don't see the way our players play in such games.

I was really amazed about the City game though it was not masterclass but we managed to go to the 2nd leg without conceding a goal in the Ethiad.

But the Liga is not like in previous seasons. Yesterday the players knew that Real was 3 points ahead and I think that they thought Atletico will win today.

What Tata said yesterday, that he did not prepare the game well, I don't understand it. Even if he didn't prepare it, this is no excuse why our players showed a complete lack of confidence in this game. Messi scored a goal again, okay he gets back to 100% but did he look good at all? In the previous matches he lost the ball much to easy, though he scored many goals which every Barca fan appreciates of course. But it can't be the philosophy of a club like Barca to give Messi the ball all the time even though he has 3-5 players against him. It's not surprising that we lose the ball that often and furthermore Tata can't be serious with his organization of the backline. We have some great players there. Players who shined throughout the whole Pep era. Players like Pique and Alves and what's up with them? They have many good games, yes but also many bad games, just like yesterday.

Some of you people say that mistakes happen to everyone and I agree with this and moreover I agree that we managed to win some important games this season but most of us are still disappointed and for me, it is caused by our lack of consistence.

I want to compare us to Bayern now. Anyone who thinks this is unappropiate should ask himself why. A few years ago we were the most dominate power in Europe and now Bayern is. Of course it can happen that another team is more dominant than we are but as a club like Barca is, it is the top priority to chase Bayern and to try to get the top of the table in Europe back. We lost 7-0 to Bayern, okay, many excuses have been made. Busi and Messi were not in top form. Tito had cancer, but still, we lost 7-0 against Bayern with the same players who played in the greatest era in Barca history.

Our system is old. Posession is important, I won't deny that. Bayern's play is also about posession but the way we play, this is not the Barca I saw and immediately fell in love with. We rotate the ball in the midfield and against attacking teams like Rayo it works out but throughout the entire season we showed such a massive lack of ideas when we played against teams who parked the bus. Furthermore we're not only scoring no goals, no, we concede goals, unneccessary goals, stupid goals against, even if we have 99% posession. This is ridiculous.

I know that every team has it's ups and downs but why doesn't Bayern have them since 1 1/2 years? Do they have better players than us? I don't think so but their system works and ours sometimes works and sometimes not. It just depends on the opponent's coach. If he knows how to play against us, we'll have no chance of winning, if he doesn't, we'll win.

I'm convinced that we would lose against Bayern again. Maybe not that high but we would lose. I love Barca but I keep it real. And this is what makes me sad, when you sometimes know that you will lose a game because you know that the players are not ready to fight like it's a final. We showed it in yesterday's game, in the game against Valencia, Athletic and Ajax. The City game was great but what if we get PSG in the quarter finals? Maybe we win, but there is a good chance that we lose. Even the quotes of a City win were higher on Tuesday.

We can't go on that way. Tata is a good coach but I think he just tries to please every player. A manager sometimes has to be an asshole and put Messi on the right wing when things do not go well. He has to make the decision to invest much money to buy new blood instead of trusting an 35 year old Puyol.

Fresh blood is definetely needed.

Furthermore I would change the whole system. I'd go for a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.

Valdes, [Alves], Benatia, Pique (kick him in the ass), Alba, Busquets, Cesc, Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Agüero (if possible).

I know that Pedro and Sanchez would be useless at this time but hey look:

Probably Messi would still be disturbed by 3-5 players but this would create space for dangerous players like Neymar and Agüero who don't stand at the most left/right point of the pitch. Instead they would stand on the corners of the box and we would cause much more danger. Alba and Alves have to stay back in this system and Messi can rotate his position from left to center to right. Agüero have the technical skills and the pace to create great chances. Messi would give some amazing assists and he would be able to shoot without so many players in front of him.

Too much text for the most of you, so I stop now.

Gn8

Thats cause german teams don't park the bus, last year bayern faced arsenal,juventus,barcelona and dortmund all of which do not park the bus. When bayern has faced a team that does like chelsea, they have struggled.

I dont disagree about the other things you said though.

Antimadridista1

Instinct, I agree with you . But why are people over-estimating psg ? I always hear people talking about them like if they are the third or fourth best team in Europe... It makes me laugh a lot. People don't even watch them. Anyways...

Barcilliant

Instinct, I agree with you . But why are people over-estimating psg ? I always hear people talking about them like if they are the third or fourth best team in Europe... It makes me laugh a lot. People don't even watch them. Anyways...

If they had their shooting boots on last season PSG would have eliminated us from the CL and saved us the embarrassment of being humiliated by Bayern. They are even better this season and have been quite impressive. Their squad has a ton of good players and they even have a superstar ex-Barca player who is performing well ;)

Barcilliant

Since a lot of posters here have a negative opinion of Tata please suggest an alternative for next season??

Also what is the opinion IN BARCELONA and among the members???

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I watch them every week, and yes they are very good atm. The question is if you watch them?

malvolio

because in modern football staying at the top is very hard and a performance cycle usually lasts no more than 3 years. let's not forget that this barcelona has the best record in UCL in past years. not bayern, not chelsea, not real or man utd.

i think the board missed an opportunity when they went with tito over luis enrique. it would have been the logical step. a bold young manager, that knew the club and the system but wasn't afraid of changing things.

Barcilliant

because in modern football staying at the top is very hard and a performance cycle usually lasts no more than 3 years. let's not forget that this barcelona has the best record in UCL in past years. not bayern, not chelsea, not real or man utd.

i think the board missed an opportunity when they went with tito over luis enrique. it would have been the logical step. a bold young manager, that knew the club and the system but wasn't afraid of changing things.

Luis Enrique would have been a Tito-lite. People overrated Enrique. He didn't do shit at Roma and Barca are a much bigger club. Pep was a one off and stop expecting all these young ex-Barca players to be the next Pep.

Home of Barca Fans