Gerardo "Tata" Martino

flamenco

Teams read too well into our game and learned how to neutralize our attack. Although had Iniesta been available things would have possibly turned out better. Point is, we shouldn't depend on any single player....Zubi and the board are to blame for not buying more last season... It's also true that international friendlies may have exhausted some.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Tata had nothing to do with today's result, he tried everything he could and it just didn't come off, attaching blame to him would be ludicrous.

F

Flavia

Yeah fire Martino. That'll really fix this team's problems.....

His direct tactics aren't helping. He's one of the problems, but not the only one. Just changing the coach won't solve everything, but I think he's not the right man for this job.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
His direct tactics aren't helping. He's one of the problems, but not the only one. Just changing the coach won't solve everything, but I think he's not the right man for this job.

Flavia, the tiki taka tactics don't work consistently either. The team needed a tactical makeover. If the team cannot consistently play tiki-taka at the same high level, and they cannot play any new tactic at an efficient level, who's fault is it? The Manager trying to shake things up instead of staying stagnant? or the players who are past their prime and/or in poor form and the board who has failed for 3 years now to anticipate the decline and reinforced the team accordingly?

Tata has tried. We've all seen the decline of tiki-taka since even when Pep was here. It is not the coach, at least not the majority of the blame. He has tried. The players are just not there anymore. They cannot deliver consistent tiki-taka, nor can they be efficient playing differently.

Any other coach out there would have the same exact problem.

The team needs new players. Then, and only then, judge the coach.

Alarcón

Earlier in the season, I was skeptical of him. Now, I just want him gone. Whether it is the players' hunger, their off-the-ball movement or whatever, it's clear that those players can do a lot better than they're doing at the moment so it all boils down to being Martino's fault. If a coach can't manage his team, he needs to be replaced.

E

El_e8

So Tata, you thought Sergi and Tello were going to change the game for ya huh?

What options did he have?

He subbed every offensive player Barca had and it didn't work.

At least he made subs not just stood there. He was trying to win.

As you know Barca bench doesn't have 50 million euros worth of strikers.

It is what it is.

Alarcón

The team needed a tactical makeover. If the team cannot consistently play tiki-taka at the same high level, and they cannot play any new tactic at an efficient level, who's fault is it? The Manager trying to shake things up instead of staying stagnant? or the players who are past their prime and/or in poor form and the board who has failed for 3 years now to anticipate the decline and reinforced the team accordingly?

Well, that's the difference between a great coach and a mediocre one, great coaches know which tactics to apply at which point and how to adapt to certain situations. Mediocre ones just "try".

No offense, but if you really think that a couple of players would make the difference in this squad, you're seriously deluded. Are you really trying to tell me that a team consisting of player like Messi, Neymar, Xavi, Fàbregas and Busquets shouldn't be able to at least get a point against a side that hasn't won to Barça in 12 years?

jamrock

blaming the players is like man utd fans not blaming moyes for how shit they are.

you can see when a team has a clear game plan and are failing to implement it, different from when one has none are a very shit one.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
So now we need 50 million euro strikers on the bench to beat Valladolid? Come on people.

You complained about Tata bringing in Tello and Roberto, and people are telling you that there was no one better, and then you ask why we need better players to win?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Earlier in the season, I was skeptical of him. Now, I just want him gone. Whether it is the players' hunger, their off-the-ball movement or whatever, it's clear that those players can do a lot better than they're doing at the moment so it all boils down to being Martino's fault. If a coach can't manage his team, he needs to be replaced.

Come on Alarcon, be reasonable. Players playing like shit is Martino's fault? Really man? The players are just not that good anymore and/or have very poor form. Look at the team up and down.

Pique - Never was World Class. For years he was shielded by a strong midfield, and some great partners in defense. Now that he is The Man in the backline, his deficiencies show. He is just a decent defender.
Mascherano - Never a CB. Good player, not a CB.
Bartra - Young, inexperienced, physically weak.
Puyol - Done
Alves - Decline
Adriano - sub type player
Alba - poor defender, lots of injuries this season, poor form.
Montoya - average player
Busquets - Bad form. Very very poor season so far.
Song - Not good enough
Xavi - Decline. Not fit to play consecutive games.
Iniesta - Bad form at the start. His form has improved a lot, but he's missed some games too.
Cesc - Good season, but he is a mercurial player. Great performances one day, bad ones the next.
Roberto - As vanillas as it gets.
Tello - Technically inept, not Barca quality.
Pedro - up and down.
Alexis - good season, but not a dependable scorer. He is much more a support player.
Neymar - up and down.
Messi - injured, recovering form.

What is Martino supposed to do? Any manager out there would struggle with this team. This is not Barca 2010-2011. Not even close.

I'm almost certain if Pep got this team now, he'd unload about half the team for new players.

EDIT: I should clarify. When I say struggle with this team, I mean struggle to keep this team as the top team in the World. The team is still actually a good team, however not good enough to be above and beyond the rest. Any manager would struggle with this team if the goal were to be the best in the World. The players are just not there for that.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Flavia, the tiki taka tactics don't work consistently either. The team needed a tactical makeover. If the team cannot consistently play tiki-taka at the same high level, and they cannot play any new tactic at an efficient level, who's fault is it? The Manager trying to shake things up instead of staying stagnant? or the players who are past their prime and/or in poor form and the board who has failed for 3 years now to anticipate the decline and reinforced the team accordingly?

Tata has tried. We've all seen the decline of tiki-taka since even when Pep was here. It is not the coach, at least not the majority of the blame. He has tried. The players are just not there anymore. They cannot deliver consistent tiki-taka, nor can they be efficient playing differently.

Any other coach out there would have the same exact problem.

The team need new players, but you cannot just bypass the coach from blame. They were doing better in the 1st half of the season. Than everything collapsed, and it's getting worse by the minute.

Home of Barca Fans