Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
If Tata is not to blame for the lack of motivation from most of the players, we're not talking about just one player here, then why not just fire him now. Let the players coach themselves. Hey in the bigger games they don't need help getting motivated so they'll perform better anyway and against the weaker teams, they'll beat them most of the time, unless they just don't feel like playing that day.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Sumlit, I generally agree with you and It's been clear for some time now that the team needs reinforcements but even our current crop of players should be able to do better than they're doing now. For weeks now (even months, some would argue), the players have not played up to their usual standard, they have looked unmotivated and have made little effort to turn matches around, they have moved very little off the ball and looked so uninspired that they resorted to playing long balls too often; all of which the coach is to blame for, at least in part...

Alarcon, I don't claim Martino is the answer and the future. I simply don't know this. However IMO, this should not be about the Manager changing tactics slightly (because that is what he has done, at the core, Barca still wants to play like they've always done), or motivating players more or less. This is about the players no longer being the same.

They can no longer be as consistently above the competition as before. The difference in talent and form is just not there. A well drilled and motivated team like Valladolid can indeed beat a lethargic and under-performing Barcelona, table positions notwithstanding.

The players are professionals. They should not need a manager to light a fire under them and resort to gimmicks to motivate them. What is Martino supposed to do? Scream at players like Xavi? Busquets? Pique? That is not realistic. Bench them? And play whom? Song and Roberto?

He's really out of options.

IMO this team needs to fix other problems first, before turning their guns on the coach. That is the easy way out, and solves no problems.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
If he saw the team needed strengthening he should have asked for players in Jan, by all accounts he was happy with the squad. He should have pushed for a CB and Striker. Counting on Puyol when a couples months later he announces he his leaving/retirement is illogical.

Who would have he asked for January is not an ideal time for transfers most players wont leave their clubs mid season and the only one that will leave would be dead weight something we have an over abundance of on the bench and if you think that Tata willingly counted on Puyol to be his star CB then you sir are delusional

raedkuwait

They could at least tried and play their basic game, but they didn't. Long balls, trying to play direct, crossing, no triangles, no tiki taka, no fast passing, no movement off the ball, nothing. It might not have worked but it sure as hell would've been a lot better than what I saw now.
They played nothing like Barça.

To be fair the playing field was in shit form, the ball bubbled so bad it was really hard to pass anything around

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Alarcon, I don't claim Martino is the answer and the future. I simply don't know this. However IMO, this should not be about the Manager changing tactics slightly (because that is what he has done, at the core, Barca still wants to play like they've always done), or motivating players more or less. This is about the players no longer being the same.

They can no longer be as consistently above the competition as before. The difference in talent and form is just not there. A well drilled and motivated team like Valladolid can indeed beat a lethargic and under-performing Barcelona, table positions notwithstanding.

The players are professionals. They should not need a manager to light a fire under them and resort to gimmicks to motivate them. What is Martino supposed to do? Scream at players like Xavi? Busquets? Pique? That is not realistic. Bench them? And play whom? Song and Roberto?

He's really out of options.

IMO this team needs to fix other problems first, before turning their guns on the coach. That is the easy way out, and solves no problems.
People just blame everything on the coach no matter if the players underperform or not. They think that Tata is arrogant and doesn't rest Xavi or bench Busi,Pique,Alves,etc with the likes of Javi Martinez,Kroos,Manquillo,Thiago Silva who are rotting on the bench

mazp

Who would have he asked for January is not an ideal time for transfers most players wont leave their clubs mid season and the only one that will leave would be dead weight something we have an over abundance of on the bench and if you think that Tata willingly counted on Puyol to be his star CB then you sir are delusional

He said he didn't want to sign a CB because Puyol will be back. Barca could have had Luiz if they really pushed for it, in Jan

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Coach motivation is not mythical, and the players psychological side seem really down. They don't look happy or motivated in the pitch anymore.

But what else can he do Flavia? These are not some kids who are in need of guidance and wisdom like Atletico. These are professional winners and mature players. What can Tata do besides talk to them, man to man, professional to professional, and ask them to give him their best.

He cannot scream at them, that'd be absurd. He cannot bench them, and play whom? What can he do? We can all clamor for "Tata, motivate the players!", however how? More to the point, shouldn't these players in particular have enough self motivation to not require Mounrinho like gimmicks for motivation?

Even Pep saw this his last year. He wanted change then. Even he knew that coach's motivation only gets a player so far, at some point, the motivation has to come from within.

I was sceptical of Tata from the beginning, cant say he has elevated my reasons of concern.
He seems lika a really good guy but not much more than that.

ammarfcb

ze special one
never has a manager been offered money to spend on a player and said nah, i'm good. not asking for a cb is part of the reason they picked this yes man

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Simeone would be a great motivator.

Klopp even more

:lol: If it's only about motivation we might as well get a life coach to be our manager. Is Billy Beane from Moneyball available? :VdB:

Simeone and Klopp play an entirely different brand of football. A clash of style between players and manager clearly isn't the invigoration factor we thought it'd be as what's seen by Tata's direct/longball approach not mixing well with the players' tiki taka mentality.

Home of Barca Fans