Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Barcilliant

We missed the boat with Thiago Silva. A lot of people are yapping on about the cb situation but the fact is the board messed up. 40 million 2 seasons ago was a little bit steep but nothing we couldn't afford. Now PSG & Monaco have turned the market on its head with their spending. I am willing to bet that if Thiago Silva was available this trf window PSG would have splashed 60 mil on him easy. On financial terms we just CANNOT compete with them-simple. They could probably activate every release clause in our first team if they wanted to. PSG's ambition is to win the CL within 4 seasons or throw in the towel. Its upto all the other teams in Europe to ensure this doesn't happen. I think they have the wrong manager in Blanc otherwise their squad is 90% complete.

Back to Barca I would like to see Tata experiment with 4-2-3-1. We need that extra dm pressing hard and winning the ball further away from our box especially when our cb pairing is weak and Alves and Alba are always caught upfield.

Zuess99

Very dissapointed in him that he stilled hasnt had the balls to sign a defender. I dont care if he is from argentina . We need a bloody cb. HE ONLY HAD ONE JOB to do during this transfer season and the league is already starting.

Barcilliant

Very dissapointed in him that he stilled hasnt had the balls to sign a defender. I dont care if he is from argentina . We need a bloody cb. HE ONLY HAD ONE JOB to do during this transfer season and the league is already starting.

Too early too make any judgement on Tata. The CL is where you can judge him. We will face better teams with different tactics and probably a more physical approach. We should sign a CB. We certainly need an upgrade on our current cbs. Puyol old, Pique inconsistent, Mascherano-decent at best, Batra-unproven, Baagnack -too raw, Adriano-last option. I mean I see no security with any of those players. IMO even Mathieu or Sako would be an upgrade on our current options.

Kerrybai

Its very unfair to lay the blame with him alone. These decisions are taken as part of a group.

Zuess99

Even if it is part of a group, he is suppose to convince them to sign someone, he is suppose to show some urgency. The list of cb`s wasnt even listed by him. All he has done is sit back and talk, talk, talk. Thats all I hear these days. Thats not what we need at the moment , we need to fix our DEFENCE.
The only thing ive seen since he has come here is motivate players and tell them to press again(Something we have done before) . Nothing WOW about that .
A defender or defenders is what we need and he hasnt done fokol.

ab739

Even if it is part of a group, he is suppose to convince them to sign someone, he is suppose to show some urgency. The list of cb`s wasnt even listed by him. All he has done is sit back and talk, talk, talk. Thats all I hear these days. Thats not what we need at the moment , we need to fix our DEFENCE.
The only thing ive seen since he has come here is motivate players and tell them to press again(Something we have done before) . Nothing WOW about that .
So paying 50+ million for a defender thats worth 25 mil is the answer? The best cb's are already tied to a team and not leaving. We cant just get a cb for the sake of getting a cb. If we get a cb at this point it would be for depth unless we overpay and that is not going to solve our problems. Barca shouldve just payed silva's release clause and tell psg to f** off

B

beautifulgame

Silly to put that on Tata when both Tito and pep didnt get the required CB in the years previous neither. this board is to blame.

I'm pissed too but your letting that give you tunnel vision.

LM10

Its harsh to blame him. He came in July and zubi/rosell havent bought a CB in three years. They are more to blame

JackaL

Ah so pressing is just done by motivating your lads and telling them to press for f... sake? Calm down, he arrived a couple of weeks ago, transferring a player is more bureaucracy and negotiating than a coach's demand to get somebody to the team. One member whom I can't remember here told it already, it's not an issue of a CB, much more an issue of our inability to keep up with our tactical game, that means pressing/transition game. Ok we should probably be prepared because of Puyol and I support the transfer of a new CB, but I think the problem is not just solved by getting in a new CB.

mixer

Martino: "Last year's defensive problems were linked to injuries. If all players are fit, we have options."

coura

Banned
Martino: "Last year's defensive problems were linked to injuries. If all players are fit, we have options."

That´s a bif IF...And with 36 Puyol even without injuries is not that good anymore. Masche is just a good CB. Barça need top quality.
Nowadays with the oil clubs there are 8-10 top teams in Europe.
Just look at the CL draw potential opponents.

I wonder why... maybe it's because one of our starting CBs is 35 years old and almost always injured?

And even if all players are fit, our options aren't that good. Pique's been out of form for 2 seasons and Masch is not a CB. As for Puyol, not only is he almost always injured, but he's also not as good as he used to be.

I like what Martino's done with the team so far, especially when it comes to the pressing, but he really needs to get a CB.

Last edited:

Meitux

Tata trying to cover the board's inability of getting a CB. Injuries are not excuse for the off form for 2 years in a row Pique, Mascherano who's not a CB...

mixer

Martino: "Barcelona have such a good squad that the coach is more to blame for the failures than to applaud for the successes."
Martino: "We have Puyi, Pique, Mascherano, Bartra, even Adriano. If there's an injury, January transfer window is only a few months away."

:facepalm:

Martino: "Neymar is an excellent player, he's linking up really well with the other players, but he needs some time to adapt, step by step."

Home of Barca Fans