Gerardo "Tata" Martino

PhilS

Tata is just a football guy, he has no larger ambitions, unlike Pep. Every indication is that he is a fine coach for this team. The new Prez wants him until at least 2016, good news for FC Barca.

Kerrybai

10/10 home wins now. Top of the table and sailing through both cup competitions. Also winners of the super copa and 1/1 wins vs Real.

While some aspects of his tenure can be questioned we really can't moan about results so far.

Stric

10/10 home wins now. Top of the table and sailing through both cup competitions. Also winners of the super copa and 1/1 wins vs Real.

While some aspects of his tenure can be questioned we really can't moan about results so far.

Well sumarized. :beer2: I agree.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Well, you're right - BUT, I just wish we could have cranked up the tempo against Levante like we did in the second half today. I'm not expecting us to win 100% of our games, but we had 2-3 away games where it looked like we didn't even try to give our best.
On the plus side though, our defense is looking better and better :)
On the negative side, our midfield is hardly creating anything forward - no danger at all, which is sad because it used to be much sharper. The final pass is almost never from the CM's anymore.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Well, you're right - BUT, I just wish we could have cranked up the tempo against Levante like we did in the second half today. I'm not expecting us to win 100% of our games, but we had 2-3 away games where it looked like we didn't even try to give our best.
On the plus side though, our defense is looking better and better :)
On the negative side, our midfield is hardly creating anything forward - no danger at all, which is sad because it used to be much sharper. The final pass is almost never from the CM's anymore.

This worries me too. Only Cesc assists a lot, but only when he has the space. I'd love to see more combinations leading to a through pass. The only one I see regularly playing dangerous and precise through passes is Messi...

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
You can't argue with his results at HOME but we look like a totally disjointed outfit with no clear system. We are almost relying on a moment of individual brilliance to win games for us and that won't be enough against the bigger teams. The fact that we have had to rely on scoring from set pieces proves the point as well.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think what I don't like, at this point, is clearly the lack of identity in our play - it changes constantly throughout a match and even from match to match...At times I feel like we're still in preseason and isolated moments where the rhythm is terrific...We're far from our potential peak is what I am concerned about although we're also just getting back to health

Iniesta is a variable that hasn't been a lynch pin in Tata's Barcelona yet and no matter how you slice it, that makes Barcelona look less Barcelona, to me...That middle of the pitch is not the fortress of domination it has been - part of that might be down to the reality of aging or opponent tactics or simply the level of opposing midfields...But it's clearly a different look Barcelona atm, we get those periods of terrific attacking mixed with dangerous counters as well as segments of absorbing possession from the opponent...We'll see if this approach by Tata is ultimately successful

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I think what I don't like, at this point, is clearly the lack of identity in our play - it changes constantly throughout a match and even from match to match...At times I feel like we're still in preseason and isolated moments where the rhythm is terrific...We're far from our potential peak is what I am concerned about although we're also just getting back to health

Iniesta is a variable that hasn't been a lynch pin in Tata's Barcelona yet and no matter how you slice it, that makes Barcelona look less Barcelona, to me...That middle of the pitch is not the fortress of domination it has been - part of that might be down to the reality of aging or opponent tactics or simply the level of opposing midfields...But it's clearly a different look Barcelona atm, we get those periods of terrific attacking mixed with dangerous counters as well as segments of absorbing possession from the opponent...We'll see if this approach by Tata is ultimately successful

Exactly, just as I was saying. I don't know if Iniesta haven't reached his full potential or if he isn't used properly in Tata's system or a combination of both - but what is clear is that we look "less Barcelona" like you said. Under the Pep era Busi, Xavi and Iniesta was the best, most skilled and most feared (because of how skilled they were) midfield to ever play the game - lately they're just playing it sideways until Messi or Neymar drops down and starts an attack. Messi plays in the midfield and both our fullbacks are in full attack which forces Xavi to play very deep, coupled with wingers that hug the sidelines we get an u-shape attack without any threat centrally. Against Malaga at least Pedro cut in a little like he used to under Pep, but lets be honest - even though we played well yesterday, Malaga's defense was crap and they look totally lost in the second half.

jamrock

You can't argue with his results at HOME but we look like a totally disjointed outfit with no clear system. We are almost relying on a moment of individual brilliance to win games for us and that won't be enough against the bigger teams. The fact that we have had to rely on scoring from set pieces proves the point as well.
exactly, which is why i was saying the system is not creating many chances yesterday, a clear sign of a team not clicking well in their reliance on individual moments of brilliance to constantly break open games

Home of Barca Fans