Gerardo "Tata" Martino

L

linetty

The biggest concern for Barca at the moment should be the fact that Martino seems to be unable to learn from his past failures. Argentine clings to his idea: Iniesta and Neymar thrown out of their natural positions only in order to make space for Fàbregas, who shouldn't even be found in the starting line-up. Hard not to notice that such tactics make no sense. Three defeats in a row in three different competitions - it is difficult that such results could be a good omen.

Tata has said that the results do not affect his future plans, a few times. Does that mean he'll be the manager next season, despite losing everything? Hard to believe that, even with our current board.

Who can replace him, then?

Mitchell1978

I wonder if he's lost the dressing room. And I wonder if that has something to do with the senior players making demands (rumours about Xavi not being ok with the more direct approach) and wanting too much power... I really hope that's not the case, but I'm scared it might be. In which case we might be looking at something similar to what happened with Guti and Raul - though first we'd of course need a coach who's got the authority to lay down the law.

Again, I really hope that my fears are unfounded. But I cannot but fear.

I have very little doubt that he has lost the dressing room, according to some he never had 'it' to begin with.

klc123

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/04/17/real-madrid-2-1-barcelona-copa/

Every man and his dog says that barca should have started with their conventional 4-3-3 instead of a midfielder playing on the wing. So why does tata not see this? It didn't work twice against atletico, it didn't work against Granada, the guy is clueless.

Putting Iniesta and Neymar out of their preferred positions, just so fabregas plays. I would call it a bad decision to move two players out of position even for messi, nevermind for fabregas.

What makes it even worse is that one of his rubbish tactics, which was having alves crossing the ball constantly, was completely hopeless as we didn't have a left winger in the box to get on the end of it! Team looked much better when Pedro came on and we had two wingers.

Last edited:

ppxrare

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/04/17/real-madrid-2-1-barcelona-copa/

Every man and his dog says that barca should have started with their conventional 4-3-3 instead of a midfielder playing on the wing. So why does tata not see this? It didn't work twice against atletico, it didn't work against Granada, the guy is clueless.

Putting Iniesta and Neymar out of their preferred positions, just so fabregas plays. I would call it a bad decision to move two players out of position even for messi, nevermind for fabregas.

What makes it even worse is that one of his rubbish tactics, which was having alves crossing the ball constantly, was completely hopeless as we didn't have a left winger in the box to get on the end of it! Team looked much better when Pedro came on and we had two wingers.

its as if he is deliberately trying to piss us off and lose

barcanuck

The biggest concern for Barca at the moment should be the fact that Martino seems to be unable to learn from his past failures. Argentine clings to his idea: Iniesta and Neymar thrown out of their natural positions only in order to make space for Fàbregas, who shouldn't even be found in the starting line-up. Hard not to notice that such tactics make no sense. Three defeats in a row in three different competitions - it is difficult that such results could be a good omen.

Tata has said that the results do not affect his future plans, a few times. Does that mean he'll be the manager next season, despite losing everything? Hard to believe that, even with our current board.

Who can replace him, then?

His ideas of Neymar on the right and Iniesta on the left only began in the Man City game. Before that our club was doing quite well scoring from all the forwards and Cesc even. As soon as the knockout stages came I firmly belive Xavi took over the tactic. This goes back to last year when all we would see is the Cesc - Busi - Xavi - Iniesta - Messi - Pedro attack for any big game.

Jägermeister

Read this quote in a german article. Martino: "We have problems on the last 25 m , which is unusual for this club. Normally one of our players has a brilliant idea and scores. This was not possible for us in the last week. "

So much for Tata's tactics :tata:

Alarcón

Read this quote in a german article. Martino: "We have problems on the last 25 m , which is unusual for this club. Normally one of our players has a brilliant idea and scores. This was not possible for us in the last week. "

I get really angry when I read things like these. Really, really frustrating how inapt he is.

Andrew M

I don't think Pep will come back because a. he said that this chapter of his life over b. he has everything at bayern he didn't have at Barca - depth of the squad, normal board, players that can play different tactics, non-competitive liga, freedom to choose and buy players he wants. I think he will stay at bayern more than 2-3 years.

Klopp - impossible
Conte - impossible
Simeone - possible, although as many stated before, do we really want manager who bases his game on defence? Maybe he can adapt?

I wouldn't mind Van Gaal or even Lippi, someone who has years of successful experience in Europe.

Likes his board members in prison?

ceco322

Coach

First sorry for my bad enlish but what think about this names for eventually new coach cause obviously time on Tata Martino end you know what i mean ;) so what think abouth this: Frank de Boer, Ernesto Valverde, Luis Enrique,Unai Emery, Laurent Blanc, Antonio Conte, Andre Villas Boas, Roberto Martínez, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Löw, Arsene Wenger, Marcelo Bielsa or Luiz Felipe Scolari / exclude coaches like :Diego Simeone and Jürgen Klopp not because they are poor coaches no becouse they have a different philosophy style of play i thik, so who is the best ??? :)

DennyCrane

Random press statements do not, not even in the slightest, represent the actual thought process of the person making the statement, especially when it's a coach making the statement.

What was he supposed to say ? Something like, "Teams compress space between the lines with two closely staggered rows of 4 and our off the ball movement is too slow, our positioning too rigid and the Barca playing routine of look-pass-move-look-receive is severy hindered in the final third because of that. We also fail to create a web of covering shadows in our midfield pressing and gegenpressing efforts." And then spend two hours explaining this.

Statements, like the on Tata has made, are deliberately aimed at the lowest common denominator of the target audience.

Tata has his flaws, but he's not braindead.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Random press statements do not, not even in the slightest, represent the actual thought process of the person making the statement, especially when it's a coach making the statement.

What was he supposed to say ? Something like, "Teams compress space between the lines with two closely staggered rows of 4 and our off the ball movement is too slow, our positioning too rigid and the Barca playing routine of look-pass-move-look-receive is severy hindered in the final third because of that. We also fail to create a web of covering shadows in our midfield pressing and gegenpressing efforts." And then spend two hours explaining this.

Statements, like the on Tata has made, are deliberately aimed at the lowest common denominator of the target audience.

Thank you for bringing some sense in the thread Denny. People lost their heads entirely following 3 latest results.

Jägermeister

The statement represents exactly what we see on the pitch right now. If Tata meant this exact thing he said..I don't know, but the sad thing about it is that it is the exact truth.
Also I personally have never heard a coach say sth like my players normally have good ideas, but not in our last games. Every coach has some matches after which he tells the media that there was a lack of ideas. Tata though generalises this problem and makes it sound like his main tactic is bring the ball close to the opponents goal and then...well let's see, someone will do something. I think he is really clueless atm. His statement, intended or not expressed this quiet clearly.

jamjamjam

First sorry for my bad enlish but what think about this names for eventually new coach cause obviously time on Tata Martino end you know what i mean ;) so what think abouth this: Frank de Boer, Ernesto Valverde, Luis Enrique,Unai Emery, Laurent Blanc, Antonio Conte, Andre Villas Boas, Roberto Martínez, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Löw, Arsene Wenger, Marcelo Bielsa or Luiz Felipe Scolari / exclude coaches like :Diego Simeone and Jürgen Klopp not because they are poor coaches no becouse they have a different philosophy style of play i thik, so who is the best ??? :)

de boer is the only one from your list that i wouldn't object to being barca's new coach

Home of Barca Fans