Hans-Dieter Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

BJJ

The lows we had under Xavi in terms of the football were really really bad I mean we were struggling against teams on shoestring budgets a good portion of the time.

It felt like any team can show up and do the bare minimum in terms of structure and we had our hands full. I thought at first it was just Xavi trying to learn the ropes in European football when he got here but it still persisted the day he got sacked at the end of his tenure.

Far too many times he got outcoached over the simplest stuff and just couldn't keep his composure on the sidelines when things didn't go our way. Maybe in his next job and down the line he can iron out the problems.

This!!!
From the very first friendly against City you could see Flick had a plan and definite patterns of play. Fitness and intensity improved dramatically.
Xavi had too much leeway in terms of signing players. Signed Ferran and Lewa. Gave the green light for Roque too.
His tactics were bad but his mentality was terrible. This was a guy who moaned about drawing Man Utd in the fucking EL 🤣 .
Also swearing at players, making the most stupid excuses and having a meltdown anytime the pressure was on.
After mortgaging tthe clubs future, he than complained we didn't have the squad to compete with Madrid.
Bottom line is he's an entitled, arrogant prick. I would have more respect for him if he had paid his dues and coached some mid table sides in a proper league before taking the job or worked as an assistant. Instead he went straight from Qatar into probably the toughest job in world football.

BJJ

I also never understood what his game plan was. It was either random or have the wingers hug the touchline and spam crosses 🤣
He also seemed to think a one nil lead was something to protect and had a really negative approach overall.

xXKonan

I think Xavi's problem was in his head and on paper what he tried to establish seemed to look good but in practice, it just didn't pan out the way he did and struggled to try and make it work leading him to an outcome of "Well we got rip it all out and start over again"

The problem with that is we already spent a lot of money and with the way our financials are and the league FFP stuff that's impossible. It just wasn't feasible to just tear everything down and start over and selling off players we spent money to get for him in the first place.

It's early but we are four games in but it seems like Flick has shown us that maybe players we have fit/injured were not the biggest problem after all. He seemed to have done a lot of homework to try and make the pieces fit and so far it's working.

Sometimes it just takes someone else to put all the pieces together.

serghei

Yes, to attack the CL seriously as in with chances to win it we still need 2-3 quality players. A new 9 very soon, a new quality DM, and a new left winger.

The new 9 should be Haaland, that's clear. It is time to land a serious superstar, the first since Suarez.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yes, to attack the CL seriously as in with chances to win it we still need 2-3 quality players. A new 9 very soon, a new quality DM, and a new left winger.

The new 9 should be Haaland, that's clear. It is time to land a serious superstar, the first since Suarez.

Think Haaland will stay at City for another 2-3 years

should try to get Osimhen next season

khaled_a_d

The new 9 should be Haaland, that's clear.

This might be unpopular opinion, but if have funds, then I will address depth before starting players.

It has been some time since we had proper backup fullbacks (currently, both are B team players), we don't have a decent backup GK, CB depth are likely to be thin as I expect Eric to be sold and Inigo leaving.

I would address those before starting positions.

The lack of reliable depth decreases rotation and increase fatigue and injuries to the extent it doesn't matter how good our starting XI.

We didn't have good depth since 2015 or something. I would hope we start building one as top priority as it was completely ignored under current board.

MontenegrinCuler

Idk if City has a reason to sell Haaland rn. They're obviously not short of money and he's doing wonders for them. Will be pretty hard to take him off from such a club. And for replacement there are really no better alternatives out there for City. They can only lose with his sale.

So I expect them to either come up with crayz demands or just tell us to fuck off and look somewhere else. Haaland himself also probably prioritizes City right now. Club in better form that competes for all trophies every year, which he fits in perfectly and can statpad his whole life.

The only way out is if Haaland is secretly a life long culer and chooses Barça contrary to all logic just for the sake of love for this club. Then City will prob sell him. Yeah, dreaming is free.

jamrock

This might be unpopular opinion, but if have funds, then I will address depth before starting players.

It has been some time since we had proper backup fullbacks (currently, both are B team players), we don't have a decent backup GK, CB depth are likely to be thin as I expect Eric to be sold and Inigo leaving.

The lack of reliable depth decreases rotation and increase fatigue and injuries to the extent it doesn't matter how good our starting XI.

We didn't have good depth since 2015 or something. I would hope we start building one as top priority as it was completely ignored under current board.

Would have to watch this season and see how the B team played developed, before we address depth, but I agree with the sentiment, especially at Goalkeeper

serghei

You have to address 2 starting players quite fast. First is DM which is not covered well at all. And 2nd is Lewandowski who is gonna be 37 and needs replacing in 1-2 years.

For the left wing spot, now that Olmo has been signed, Raphinha does an excellent job on both wings, it's not as pressing to find a quality starting LW.

We have to try to land Haaland in the summer of 2026.

serghei

Say, Haaland, Zubimendi, CB + Fullback by summer of 2026 would be ideal. Until then, we should not spend much. Unless Zubimendi can be signed next summer, or maybe we have some other highly rated DM in mind other than him.

jamrock

If we need the buy a CB, as back up might as well we keep lenglet, especially after the extension.

Araujo
Cubarsi
Lenglet
Garcia
DOM
With kounde filling in, is more than good enough with $0 spent.

We have to work smarter not harder.

One of font, Martin, Landry will come good.

DM we won't fill, no chance of that with bernal showing so much promise and casado, being a good back up.
Well maybe we move for kimmich on a free, but I don't see us spending money on that position.

Striker
Williams
RB/LB.
Back up keeper.

khaled_a_d

You have to address 2 starting players quite fast. First is DM which is not covered well at all. And 2nd is Lewandowski who is gonna be 37 and needs replacing in 1-2 years.

For the left wing spot, now that Olmo has been signed, Raphinha does an excellent job on both wings, it's not as pressing to find a quality starting LW.

We have to try to land Haaland in the summer of 2026.

I doubt Halaand is ever leaving City at his prime, never mind coming to Barca.

But even assuming that we want and capable of getting him or the next one to appear on the scene, the question is why they would come?
A player like that won't come for a paper thin squad, he will want a team were he feel he is the jewel on the crown. That is what happened with him when he moved to City and Mbappe when he went to RM.

This is why I feel we need to address the smaller needs first tbh, get depth in defense and GK, address either CDM or LW, maybe get Jonathan David for free to compete with old Lewa, and then in 2026 go for the big star no 9 if you can pull it off

serghei

It is likely that in 2-3 years the squad is not that thin anymore. A lot of the current kids and teenagers can be experienced top players by then also.

Not much options post City if he fancies a move. Barca or Madrid basically. Doubt he moves to another EPL side. Depends also if Pep stays on at City.

khaled_a_d

Would have to watch this season and see how the B team played developed, before we address depth, but I agree with the sentiment, especially at Goalkeeper

One problem I've with current team, and Barca since Covid, is that they accommodate too much for La Masia, and a bit too early.
Back during Laporta first stint, a player like Messi had Giuly ahead of him, but he forced himself on the team by being so good.

The same happened with Busquets, Pedro, hell even Iniesta had many players ahead of him. We gave them the chance and they were able to "force" themselves on the team. We didn't just open things up for them and threw them to the sharks.

Right now, we just build a thin squad and ask La Masia to fill the gaps, even if they aren't that ready or really young. Maybe only Cubarsi and Lamine had players in their positions but they were too good to ignore for the coaches.

Maybe I am a bit too conservative old head (in football terms) for this strategy, but I actually think that filling those gaps can be useful even for the La Masia kids.

Sure, Mbakke and Martin aren't that young and may prove useful, Fort has talent, but I doubt it will be ideal to have more than 1 of those here.

Home of Barca Fans