Hector Bellerin

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
There are plenty of young RBs to watch.

Hugo Mallo, Mario Gaspar have been talked about quite a lot, but last time I saw Mallo play (last Celtas game maybe...) I was completley disappointed by him.

There are Fabinho, Kenny Tete, Admaya Traore, Hysaj, Sidibe... Darmian is also probably available, but he hasn't had the best of times at MU. Bruno Peres just moved, but there's no denying we could move for him.. he's a bit too attack oriented tho, in the same mold of Aleix.

And than there are those two English right backs Clyne and Walker who don't often fuck up and are fast as hell. But hard to see them leaving.

Zincubus

Banned
Apologies for this copy and paste .

From today's Sport in English, which also has an analysis of what's gone wrong with Vidal from his and Lucho's perspective:
It's nearly a month since the transfer window shut and FC Barcelona have marked a clear objective for the near future: Hector Bellerin. The Arsenal full-back's name is not new in the Barcelona universe but circumstances have changed over the past few weeks and they oblige Luis Enrique and Robert Fernandez to move with purpose. The chance to sign him exists but it should be completed in the next few weeks.

Robert spoke to Hector at the end of May to indicate Barcelona interest and find out his disposition regarding leaving Arsenal to return to Camp Nou. Barcelona didn't progress with the deal less for a no from the player, despite interest from several top clubs, but a lack of economic resources and Luis Enrique wanting to give Aleix Vidal time to see if he had progressed. But the situation has changed and Barcelona are willing to strike a blow.

Barcelona want a young right-back, capable of attacking and bringing stability to the flank in the long term. Aleix Vidal does not fulfill these requirements. There is total unanimity that Bellerin is the perfect candidate. At 21 he shows maturity and ideal skill-sets to fit into Barcelona's system. For his age and his potential he's considered the No 1 in his bracket.

Another factor is Arsenal wanting to force Bellerin to renew his contract. After various delays in august, Richard Law, Arsenal's deal maker, showed he wanted to seal Bellerin's deal in October. The club want to tie down their three pillars: Alexis, Ozil, Bellerin.

There is no time for more evaluation. The coaches want Hector, but the defender will only be available if he rejects his contract offer and Arsenal can sell him for a reasonable price in the window at the end of the season. There is little more than a month for Barcelona to seduce the footballer. If he does sign on again at the Emirates, it will be almost impossible to sign him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Bellerin's defending is not as bad as some make it out to be. A lot to improve, but he's like 21 years old. I think Vidal is toast, but also that Robert will be looking at other options as well, especially if Roberto manages to make the position his own.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Thanks [MENTION=1588]Zincubus[/MENTION]. I'm not sure most would disagree with the rationale in that analysis of the situation but that's assuming that Robert or Lucho actually want Bellerin. The converse could very well be true too, Bellerin's agent raising the negotiating stakes with Arsenal by playing the Catalan returning home card which always gets Arsenal weak in the knees. The RB situation being what it is, only natural that the club would be back in the market for a RB regardless of Roberto

I can't gauge much with this board, coach or Lucho and certainly forget about the papers - there are reliable people out there who might have a good sense of who they might target but I hadn't read anything from any of them on this..until Mestre. If he says there is interest then hard not to believe it's seemingly legit, the pursuit or interest again is hard to be sure

I don't like it for all the obvious reasons and while I don't believe he is an elite defender, his speed is something that will seduce many. Lucho though? I suspect he'd prefer a true defender to a degree but the pace of Hector would make Barcelona nearly impossible to contend with in attack

Of course, there is Pep & City

opjeoff

40m isn't too much when we're dropping similar figures on backups who likely won't last more than a couple of seasons here. Roberto is capable at RB but the same could be said for every position he plays, and if you ask me he's quite a bit better in our midfield than both Denis and Rafinha and there's no doubt he's our most capable backup for Busi, so it's not as if he'll end up benched whenever Bellerin is playing, which is the entire reason there was an issue with our keepers in the first place.

Bellerin being bad at defending is better than Vidal not knowing how. Alba and Adriano were never exactly gods defensively, either, but at least they're able to do the job, which imo Bellerin is capable of. We won't win trophies "Because of him" but the squad will certainly be stronger than it is now, and stronger squads mean more trophies, that's just how it is.

The backups we've spent those figures on are CM's and ST's and in the market attacking players are always worth way more than RBs. 40m for a right back is too much because those are the figures clubs pay for strikers. In addition, Bellerin wouldn't be undisputed starter himself here, unless we sell Bob, and paying 40m for a RB who isnt guaranteed to start is too much.
Bob will end up being benched if he doesn't play RB as he isnt good enough to start for us in any other position. He is still behind Gomes,Rakitic,Iniesta,Busi in midfield and that means he will be benched in my opinion. Having the best players on paper doesn't mean you'll win trophies, in the 2014-15 season Madrid and Bayern had stronger squads than us and yet we won 5 trophies that annual year.

God Serena

Why? On what ground should Roberto NOT be a permanent RB?

Maybe because he's not a RB.

What if he's a fucking goddamn awesome RB? Then it would be illogical to NOT play him as an RB at that point.

We can "what if" all day, mate, for every position.

The backups we've spent those figures on are CM's and ST's and in the market attacking players are always worth way more than RBs. 40m for a right back is too much because those are the figures clubs pay for strikers. In addition, Bellerin wouldn't be undisputed starter himself here, unless we sell Bob, and paying 40m for a RB who isnt guaranteed to start is too much.

I don't care about how much it'd be for a defender, I care about improving a team. If we can spend 100m+ on the likes of Mathieu, Paco, Arda, etc. then there's no fucking way we can't afford to improve a position we desperately need help in.

Selling Roberto wouldn't even be necessary, either. He doesn't need to start, and in fact, he's probably only good enough to be our RB on a backup basis, anyways, if you actually analyze it without the obvious bias Roberto gets from most Barca fans. Now maybe his good showings are maintained against the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern, but to act like he is at that level right now is just as premature as Barca fans who predict the treble every January before Hlebuary strikes just because we're playing so well.

Bob will end up being benched if he doesn't play RB as he isnt good enough to start for us in any other position. He is still behind Gomes,Rakitic,Iniesta,Busi in midfield and that means he will be benched in my opinion. Having the best players on paper doesn't mean you'll win trophies, in the 2014-15 season Madrid and Bayern had stronger squads than us and yet we won 5 trophies that annual year.

There's nothing wrong with Roberto not being a starter. He never was and he doesn't ever need to be one. His role last season was actually perfect for him, even though many would like to see more of him. Our notoriously thin bench is the number one issue we've had over the past seasons and just because we did well with it at some point doesn't mean we always will. Having only one competent RB on the squad is simply put, not okay. Even the drop from Alves to Montoya didn't come close to the gulf between Roberto and Vidal right now. All we need is one injury to Roberto (Not unheard of by any means, he is often injured with the first team and was often injured when playing in Juvenil A and Barca B) and we are absolutely fucked. I can't even comprehend how someone could be okay with this just for the sake of Roberto getting to be the starter.

DonAK

That Roberto is a midfielder doesn't matter if he performs at a very high level the entire season.

God Serena

That Roberto is a midfielder doesn't matter if he performs at a very high level the entire season.

The major question here is can he?

Most arguments I'm seeing are based on the assumption that Roberto is already proven, but in reality, he really, really isn't.

DonAK

The major question here is can he?

Most arguments I'm seeing are based on the assumption that Roberto is already proven, but in reality, he really, really isn't.

He can. Shown himself to be capable. Question should be; Will he? Because a lot can happen. Injuries, issues off-field and other things. Hope it doesn't though of course.

Your arguments are also based on the assumption that he won't or can't, thus the need to sign a World Class RB ;)

CuleLife4Life

Not a fan. Forget the Barca DNA crap because it bit us in the ass with Cesc. Not good enough for now. Maybe in 3-4yrs if/when he improves or becomes world class then we go for him.

Home of Barca Fans