Ibrahim Afellay

Drunkmunky

Zubizarreta (sports director): "Rumours linking Afellay to Sevilla and Juventus? He will stay, we didn't receive any offer."

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I hope we don't cup tie him playing the super cup... I can see Wenger making a last minute bid for him. If it's good we've to accept right away.

There's no way he'll feel satisfied with the limited number of playtime he's going to get this season, what with the Euro qualifiers and the cup in the summer... He'd want to play as much as he can to retain his place in the Dutch national team.

Also we need a fucking defender!!

kaisers0ze

I hope we don't cup tie him playing the super cup... I can see Wenger making a last minute bid for him. If it's good we've to accept right away.

There's no way he'll feel satisfied with the limited number of playtime he's going to get this season, what with the Euro qualifiers and the cup in the summer... He'd want to play as much as he can to retain his place in the Dutch national team.

Also we need a fucking defender!!

Maybe you're right, but i dont know Guardiola's plans with him.. so.. for me id rather see him make hours at the best club in the world.. if he's gonna be benched mostly.. id rather see him playing with his friend RvP over in Arsenal.

Anyway, today there is good news.. Afellay has been spotted on the outdoor trainingfield. Assumed is he will not play the supercup but will be available before the end of this month.

source: http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spai...ibrahim-afellay-returns-to-training-following

Also, it seems Messi is not from Argentina at all:

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah, I get that there's a bigger squad this season and talent abound but can't understand the calls for his sale...Player has been a great addition in spot duty

Season is long and he provides the sort of versatility that couldn't be replaced by one player alone

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Some people just can't grasp the concept of squad depth.
Do you grasp how far down is Afellay in the picking order!?
He's behind Xaviniesta, Busi, Masch, Keita, Thiago and Cesc Fabregas in the mid field. And is behind Messi, Pedro, Villa and Sanchez in the attack.

Pep himself said he wanted to try Cesc for the false 9 role(which he did fine), so he has another block even in the attack!!

So how do you think he's going to get chances!? The squad depth concept is no rocket science not to grasp, for your info... He's got way too much competition. And we'd get far too less transfer fee if we're 'forced' to sell him. Can't you really see him pulling a Milito asking for a transfer in January!? He's starter for world's no.1 NT and he'd have to play at the highest level to secure his position!! He might be a nice guy but no body would put his career at stake

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
This, or the concept of giving young players a bloody chance, whether they have been brought in or come through La Masia

Don't you realise the difference between a La Masia graduate and a starter of world's no.1 national team!? For the former you give chances once in a while, for the latter you play him regularly!!

Can you see Afellay get chances to play regularly!?

I don't understand why people are having a go at me... I'm thinking in the best interests of the player. I always cited this as one of the reasons when I argued why we didn't need Fabregas this season!!
The player will want to move on sooner or later. It's better we addressed it straight away

poncirus

I didn't hear Afellay or Keita making noise about playing time. I guess that's because the squad has good spirit and is properly managed.

It's essential for Barca to have that kind of quality in depth because pressure and amount of games played per season have become too intense. Just look at Real's squad. There was stat before last CDR final that showed our main players played about +30% time more compared to Madrid's in second half of season. And it showed on the field.

Anyway, if he is good he will get his time and he knows it. And for millionth time, Afellay will not play a midfielder in Barca.

JonM

We had Bojan and Jeffren and Afellay as subs last season and now we have Alexis and Afellay. That's one less forward. If anything, he'll play more than last year. He's not really competing with Cesc despite him possibly playing false nine because Messi almost play every minute of every game. He's competing with Villa and Pedro (and Alexis), and those players are always the first to get subbed out by Pep. Sure he won't start often but he'll play as a sub almost every game.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans