Ibrahim Afellay

FCB_M3

I can't feel ma face!
look he's a great player and is 1000% barca material, we might not have seen anything big yet but you cant expect him to do groundbreaking shit in his first season at a team like barca, he's just gonna get better the more playing time he gets as his confidence will increase, and pep knows that better than anyone, pep didn't just wake up one morning and think about buying afellay, he's seen what this kids capable of.

True, I mean only person you can expect something from
Their first season is Javier Hernandez :)

gingerless

I don't get the hate for this guy. He comes in once in a blue moon and always puts in a solid performance. He's just come over in January, remember that. David Villa was 150x worse than Afellay against Villareal and no one made a big stink about it. He's got great potential and is clearly still transitioning into a new role in a new team in a new league. Cut him some slack. The way I've heard people scrutinizing his performances, they must have some high expectations He gets down on the wing, he attacks his man, he occasionally gets in behind and plays balls across the box - he even cuts in and puts shots on goal. Barcelona as a squad were underwhelming against Villareal, not Ibrahim Afellay. From what I've seen, he's adapted very well. I cannot see any reason to doubt that he will fit into this squad, especially considering his performances have been much more consistent than the likes of Adriano, and he's seen much less time on the field.

thank you... look at the last page and then at this page, come on people think for yourselves. he can't be criticized right now, especially how some fans are describing him. his crosses are good but how many times have you seen nobody making a run into the box, or just one person in the box while we cross the ball? i say too many... this was happening during our goal draught at the start of the season too, the team is a little tired right now. afellay can't be blamed in any way here, you will see his true game when he is fully confident on the pitch (a year or two) where he won't be afraid to lose the ball with his passing, which by the way is brilliant. he isn't confident enough to make those passes right now in fear of making a terrible mistake which leads to the team losing or something

kaisers0ze

Havent seen the match so this video might be fanboy tainted.

Anyway for review purposes:

haha look at around the 1:51 time mark in the video beneith, he think he's getting subbed, poor guy.. :

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If some of you think that merely noting: "Afellay won't be a first team regular" is a hate, you are either a die hard Ibi fan or have some things mixed up regarding grammar.

kaisers0ze

If some of you think that merely noting: "Afellay won't be a first team regular" is a hate, you are either a die hard Ibi fan or have some things mixed up regarding grammar.

I agree, IF someone would think that. I'm a fanboy and I follow this tread closely.. but i dont think anybody called you a hater for having that opinion. There are obvious haters whom shout stuff based on nothing. The reactions surely were addressed to them.

Btw, Im a very sceptic fanboy. Not the average heel licking fanboy, you know the kind.

kaisers0ze

Take note Bojan, this is one of the haters i ment when i reacted to your post. Just run a short query on his post 'bout Ibi. All this guy does is hate, hate, hate! He should be on Dave Chapelle's Playa haters ball.

edit1: hehe i still like this, im going to quote Dave in my posts signature.
edit2: can't seem to figure out "edit1"
edit3: there even is a hater website where haters can hate all day, see here http://biggesthater.com

Last edited:

Silver

I dont see Ibi a starter. Whats wrong with that?

I dont see many players benching Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pedro and Villa.

Bojan and Ibi are supersubs. Maybe in 2 years they can be in starting eleven.

kaisers0ze

I dont see Ibi a starter. Whats wrong with that?

I dont see many players benching Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pedro and Villa.

Bojan and Ibi are supersubs. Maybe in 2 years they can be in starting eleven.

Agreed, I don't think anyone here is disputing this Silver, so i dont really understand the question.

KluivertsBoots

Afellay will be fine. He is not a winger. If the club holds onto him and lets him be the Iniesta understudy, I think he will be a good player for the club. He was out of position against Villareal, but could have helped himself tactically with more movement inside.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
Afellay will be fine. He is not a winger. If the club holds onto him and lets him be the Iniesta understudy, I think he will be a good player for the club. He was out of position against Villareal, but could have helped himself tactically with more movement inside.

the thing is when he is playing winger all he is doing is crossing the ball to nobody....he has to cut in with and without the ball so the mids can thread the ball to him and not play so far out wide.....he should play like alves does down the right wing on the left

KluivertsBoots

the thing is when he is playing winger all he is doing is crossing the ball to nobody....he has to cut in with and without the ball so the mids can thread the ball to him and not play so far out wide.....he should play like alves does down the right wing on the left

His width would have been a very welcome addition had Iniesta been playing his usual position instead of Keita. Keita is not the most intrepid moving forward and, with Thiago dictating in the Xavi role, there was no llegada from CM. Afellay should have adjusted for Keita's more static presence, but he's obviously still learning to adapt to his new teammates. I'm amazed at 70% possession on the road against a quality side all things considered.

Afellay's crossing left something to be desired at times, but it is not always the winger's fault. He put a perfect balll between the back line and keeper, and there was no one to meet it. Villa didn't have the energy to make the runs, and there was no one else to help out with Pedro and Messi also missing.

All things considered, Villareal should have ambushed Barcelona but credit must go to Pep and the players. I appreciate Afellay's directness and believe he will adapt fully next season if allowed.

Home of Barca Fans