Ibrahim Afellay

kaisers0ze

the thing is when he is playing winger all he is doing is crossing the ball to nobody....he has to cut in with and without the ball so the mids can thread the ball to him and not play so far out wide.....he should play like alves does down the right wing on the left

His game is to cut in, as he did in the last international games. Obviously it was asked of Ibi to be a more static winger (to keep the game wide for the midfield/forward players i think) for the Villareal match. Somewhat like a decoy.

If youve seen the holland games, you can see he was mainly the left winger but free to go where he pleased. He did alot of cut-ins as you suggested, and it worked quite well.

So again, I dont think his play was completely his choice.

gingerless

His width would have been a very welcome addition had Iniesta been playing his usual position instead of Keita. Keita is not the most intrepid moving forward and, with Thiago dictating in the Xavi role, there was no llegada from CM. Afellay should have adjusted for Keita's more static presence, but he's obviously still learning to adapt to his new teammates. I'm amazed at 70% possession on the road against a quality side all things considered.

Afellay's crossing left something to be desired at times, but it is not always the winger's fault. He put a perfect balll between the back line and keeper, and there was no one to meet it. Villa didn't have the energy to make the runs, and there was no one else to help out with Pedro and Messi also missing.

All things considered, Villareal should have ambushed Barcelona but credit must go to Pep and the players. I appreciate Afellay's directness and believe he will adapt fully next season if allowed.

:thumbsup2:

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry guys, now that we're so close to defending La Liga Ibi and others will play a lot more.

iookram

Don't worry guys, now that we're so close to defending La Liga Ibi and others will play a lot more.

No disrespect to the teams that we'll be facing, but I hope that we give some of the Barca B players(besides Thiago and Jonathan dos Santos) some match time in La Liga after we've mathematically sealed the title.

Home of Barca Fans